GWTW Forum
October 01, 2014, 03:37 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Forum Info Login Register Chat  
Welcome to the GWTW Forum.
Guests (non-registered users) can view the forum but are unable to post.  If you don't have anything to say then why would you bother to register?
One of the most popular sections of the GWTW Forum has long been the Swap Meet.  A great place to sell old, seldom flown kites or to get great deals on used (gently flown) kites.  Only registered users can see the Swap Meet section, let alone wheel and deal.  1000's (literally) of kites have changed hands thanks to the Swap Meet.
There are several more benefits to being a registered user, but you'll have to join our little community to find out all the "secrets".
Questions or concerns? Contact Steve ... just drop an email to: forum.gwtwkites@gmail.com

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Low Wind Tricky Kites  (Read 6749 times)
Wayner
Trade Count: (+17)

« Reply #30 on: October 21, 2012, 04:39 PM »

If you want to fly in less than 1, I'd get an indoor and learn how to do that well.  It's fun, but is completely different from true outdoor flying and tricking. 

+1

This really is a different type of flying., where you learn a new set of skills.

I initially targeted for a sul because of the wind conditions I'm facing but suls are much harder to trick on... But with uls, I may have even lesser chance to be in the air.... That's my other concern.

Still think you will learn tricks faster on a UL than a SUL. For me 1 day on a UL is better than 3 days with a SUL.

There is a limit to what tricks a SUL can do because they have so little mass. Plus they trick different than UL and Standards, so one you learn a trick normaly then you have to relearn how to do it on a SUL   Huh  Plus some tricks can't be done on a SUL  Embarrassed

Flying in Light winds is a skill. With practice you will be able to fly in very light winds with the right UL. This is MUCH MUCH lighter winds than your current kite, so you may be flying you UL  much more than you think.  Wink

Most flyers in our local group pull out gliders rather than SUL when the wind drops. They find it is more fun and less frustraion.
« Last Edit: October 21, 2012, 05:03 PM by Wayner » Logged
messyboy
Trade Count: (0)

« Reply #31 on: October 21, 2012, 09:33 PM »

No... maybe twice as much  Cheesy

Due to shipment and such, the cost ends up almost 2.5times the cost of a wm ul. (Exaggerated a little on the 3times). Which brings into picture another two popular kites, the talon ul and deepspace ul... These three are in the same range in terms of price on my point of view, reputable low flyers, and that I will not outgrow that quickly.

In terms of forgiveness level and ease of learning, my gut feeling is telling me it is better to go with wm ul,  as the other 2 are out of new learners' comfort range. Is that feeling right?
messyboy

« Reply #32 on: October 21, 2012, 09:36 PM »

Most flyers in our local group pull out gliders rather than SUL when the wind drops. They find it is more fun and less frustraion.

Gliders as in one line kites?  Shocked
Wayner

« Reply #33 on: October 21, 2012, 09:53 PM »

Gliders as in one line kites?  Shocked

Yes.

On SUL days, our group may have 5 kites up in the air.

Not my cup of tea but I see the appeal.

After seting up your new kite your proficient in 5 minutes and having a great time flying.  Cool
You often see people in group stalking while someone is flying so it encourges a lot of conversation.  Grin

Sure beats my plan of buying lots of SULs then spending more than a a year learning to fly and trick with them.  Angry

Wayner

« Reply #34 on: October 21, 2012, 10:28 PM »

No... maybe twice as much  Cheesy

Due to shipment and such, the cost ends up almost 2.5times the cost of a wm ul. (Exaggerated a little on the 3times). Which brings into picture another two popular kites, the talon ul and deepspace ul... These three are in the same range in terms of price on my point of view, reputable low flyers, and that I will not outgrow that quickly.

In terms of forgiveness level and ease of learning, my gut feeling is telling me it is better to go with wm ul,  as the other 2 are out of new learners' comfort range. Is that feeling right?

For low wind ability. I don't know about the deepspace UL. I have a standard. I'm sure someone else can chime in.  Wink
The Talon UL has a smaller sail and does not fly as low at the WM UL  Embarrassed.

As for either ones suitability as a first stunt kite I'm sure you will get a range of oppions here. Cheesy

For me the WM UL is the safest best IMO. But this is a personal choice as it really is what works best for your flying style. (a little hard to determine since you are just starting.)

The Talon UL is my favorite kite, as it matches my person style. However, I'm not sure how much I would have like it when I first started. Back then I liked full size kites (well I still do)

The Deepspace is not a precision kite but a smooth flyer. It's trickabily is not a good match for my skills. It likes to roll out of one trick and into another, sadly I still do most of my tricks one at a time.  Embarrassed.  But my favorite kite for the TAZ  Cool

One other option would be the freestylist UL. It is a good budget kite in the $200 range that fly as low as the WM UL.
messyboy

« Reply #35 on: October 23, 2012, 07:05 AM »

Thanks for all the in depth opinion and answers to my questions!

Man... If only I can get my hands on some kites before getting one. It's really hard to choose plainly by words and videos... Sad

But I think my best bet is to go for AirWave UL if I'm going budget, or let myself save up first, then go ahead with an advanced kite straight- to WidowMaker (std/UL).
Desertflier
Trade Count: (+26)

« Reply #36 on: October 23, 2012, 08:50 AM »

Save up and go with the Widow Maker UL. You will be happy you did.
Maybe one will pop up in the swap meet in the mean time.

All gave some, some gave all- U.S. Army Vet
Wayner

« Reply #37 on: October 23, 2012, 02:48 PM »

Man... If only I can get my hands on some kites before getting one. It's really hard to choose plainly by words and videos... Sad

Try before you buy makes the decision easy. Sorry to hear you can't find fellow flyers Sad
jecko

« Reply #38 on: October 23, 2012, 05:00 PM »

+1 on Widowmaker UL.

Hi JJ,
Where do you usually fly.?
If you look around in our tiny island, there are some trick flyers. If the winds blowing from south do drop by East Coast Park (carpark D1) there are guys flying there almost everyday. I'm sure they 'll be glad to help you.
If the winds are from North, we'll probably flying in the fields around Punggol.

BTW, save up for both Widowmaker STD and UL . I'm sure you learn faster as you could fly all year round with those two.  Wink
Wayner

« Reply #39 on: October 23, 2012, 11:19 PM »

+1 on Widowmaker UL.

Hi JJ,
If you look around in our tiny island, there are some trick flyers. If the winds blowing from south do drop by East Coast Park (carpark D1) there are guys flying there almost everyday. I'm sure they 'll be glad to help you.
If the winds are from North, we'll probably flying in the fields around Punggol.

BTW, save up for both Widowmaker STD and UL . I'm sure you learn faster as you could fly all year round with those two.  Wink

Oh yea. Not only the ability to test fly some kites, but maybe some free lessons Grin

Once you fly a high end kite, you can see the value in paying more. Plus the air is free so its much cheaper than other sports.  Cool
messyboy

« Reply #40 on: October 24, 2012, 05:40 AM »

In the eastern area, inland, with minimal, bumpy and everchanging wind.

I heard from another SG flier Fred that fliers gather at ECP D1 often, but due to other commitments, I don't see daylight often during weekdays. I believe it's difficult to fly at night, esp with the lighting at ECP.

Yup saving up now. In the meanwhile, I may get a indoor glider to play with when the wind is unavailable. lol.

Widowmaker Std and UL: do they trick the same way? I read somewhere that the input styles are quite different...
Wayner

« Reply #41 on: October 24, 2012, 09:35 AM »

Widowmaker Std and UL: do they trick the same way? I read somewhere that the input styles are quite different...

No they are similar. YMMV

First. any kite UL verson will trick differently that a standard verson because they have different masses, plus usally flown in different wind speeds.

UL with less mass rotate slower in tricks, but many times that is helpfull in learning.  Grin

Both the UL and Std fly similar and accepts the same type inputs. Changes for timing are bigger that the input streangth.

« Last Edit: October 24, 2012, 02:35 PM by Wayner » Logged
PAW
« Reply #42 on: October 24, 2012, 02:27 PM »

If you change the bridle, like written, this one is really good in the low price segment !
http://www.gwtwforum.com/index.php?topic=8592.0

Drifter by Wolkenstürmer...at Cologne / corrected, bridle measure, upload !
jecko

« Reply #43 on: October 24, 2012, 05:40 PM »

Spot on , from Wayner.

How often you fly will determined your progress.
Put in more hours and you will be able to adjust what inputs are needed for certain tricks when you change kites few minutes.

Here a suggestion:
zero wind - indoor glider (iflite,emong ... etc) or Focus kite - Echo ( for some dual line flying)
 Widowmaker UL
 Widowmaker STD ( get windbrakes for those high wind days) and if it still pulls like a cow get a
 Revolution JB series Full Vent. Cheesy

happy flying.  Smiley

freedy

« Reply #44 on: October 24, 2012, 07:22 PM »

It is a good suggestion. I always check on wind forecasts before heading out. On windless days, i usually fly the FW Emong. When there is wind then i will pull out my stunt kites. Less frustration. Cheesy
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

items purchased through the links below help support the forum

Cal Custom

Our forum is made possible by the good folks whose ads appear below and by the members of our community (PayPal donation button at bottom)
In case you missed it each ad is linked to the sponsors web site.  So please, take a moment and visit our sponsors sites as this forum wouldn't be possible with out them.
Interested in running an ad for your business or kiting event?  Contact Steve at advertise.gwtwkites@gmail.com for a quote.

kmacFab
kmacFab

Kite Classifieds Ad
Kite Classifieds

A Wind Of Change
A Wind Of Change

Kitebookie
Kitebookie.com

Untitled Document

Untitled Document
Untitled Document

Untitled Document