GWTW Forum
April 25, 2014, 12:16 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Forum Info Login Register Chat  
Welcome to the GWTW Forum.
Guests (non-registered users) can view the forum but are unable to post.  If you don't have anything to say then why would you bother to register?
One of the most popular sections of the GWTW Forum has long been the Swap Meet.  A great place to sell old, seldom flown kites or to get great deals on used (gently flown) kites.  Only registered users can see the Swap Meet section, let alone wheel and deal.  1000's (literally) of kites have changed hands thanks to the Swap Meet.
There are several more benefits to being a registered user, but you'll have to join our little community to find out all the "secrets".
Questions or concerns?  forum.gwtwkites@gmail.com

Pages: 1 ... 3 [4]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Low Wind Tricky Kites  (Read 6050 times)
messyboy
Trade Count: (0)

« Reply #45 on: October 26, 2012, 07:27 PM »

What about Premier Widow? It's not a UL but I heard it is as tricky as the WidowMaker, but half the price.

What it the minimum wind to make it fly with minimal footwork (actual, not on paper)? Would you recommend it under my wind conditions?
Wayner
Trade Count: (+11)

« Reply #46 on: October 27, 2012, 09:39 AM »

What about Premier Widow? It's not a UL but I heard it is as tricky as the WidowMaker, but half the price.

What it the minimum wind to make it fly with minimal footwork (actual, not on paper)? Would you recommend it under my wind conditions?

Nice kite at a good price. Bad news it takes more wind to fly than the std WidowMaker. Sholud fly in less wind the your current kite. For this price range you should look the at Shadow.
Tmadz
Trade Count: (+1)

« Reply #47 on: October 27, 2012, 11:44 AM »

Jon T reframed a premier Widow into a UL for me. I haven't had light enough wind to see how low it will go, but i had it down to 5mph inland without any walking. It flies great and has made everything I am able to do much easier. Would love to see what the WM std can do though. Great kite for a reasonable budget.
messyboy

« Reply #48 on: October 27, 2012, 08:07 PM »

Nice kite at a good price. Bad news it takes more wind to fly than the std WidowMaker. Sholud fly in less wind the your current kite. For this price range you should look the at Shadow.
less wind referring to 4mph? 5mph?

Jon T reframed a premier Widow into a UL for me. I haven't had light enough wind to see how low it will go, but i had it down to 5mph inland without any walking. It flies great and has made everything I am able to do much easier. Would love to see what the WM std can do though. Great kite for a reasonable budget.
but with the reframing, it will cost as much as a WM i suppose...

WM std can fly as low as 3mph, I suppose is this not normal for all standards right?
What other standards can perform as well in 3-4mph?
Wayner

« Reply #49 on: October 27, 2012, 11:45 PM »

WM std can fly as low as 3mph, I suppose is this not normal for all standards right?
What other standards can perform as well in 3-4mph?

Sorry. don't know of any other full size kites line the WM in your price range.  Sad

Any kite with this low a wind range would be the same price or higher than the WM.

Finding other flyers on the island may help you find a kite.  Wink
The only way to see why you would pay for a $300 kite is to fly one.  Grin

Flying kites of different prices would will quickly see what makes them different. This makes your decision very easy. You will quickly match what kites can do based on cost. Then choose what price vs performace works for you. 

freedy

« Reply #50 on: October 28, 2012, 04:05 AM »

I can let you test fly my WM UL. Grin I am planning to get a WM standard to keep it company.
Tmadz
Trade Count: (+1)

« Reply #51 on: October 28, 2012, 05:59 AM »

iI got mine on clearance. It wasn't much more. Nowhere near as expensive as a WM, but I don't know if a Freestylist would be in order then since the prices are comparable.
Wayner

« Reply #52 on: October 28, 2012, 11:02 AM »

I can let you test fly my WM UL. Grin I am planning to get a WM standard to keep it company.

Messyboy will love this.  Grin

iI got mine on clearance. It wasn't much more. Nowhere near as expensive as a WM, but I don't know if a Freestylist would be in order then since the prices are comparable.

Good topic when calling Jon.  Wink The Freestylist UL would fly lower but it always nice to have options as they are different kites but both are a good choice . Plus the Niknak is a wonderful low wind kite for little money if your not into tricks. Sorry I gave mine away  Embarrassed
Desertflier
Trade Count: (+26)

« Reply #53 on: October 28, 2012, 05:35 PM »

+1 for the Nik Nak    Wink 
Flies smooth in very low winds. Not very tricky though.

All gave some, some gave all- U.S. Army Vet
messyboy

« Reply #54 on: October 29, 2012, 04:14 PM »

Freestylist vs widow std: which one has a lower wind range? Also trickwise, are there any that one can do better than the other?  Roll Eyes

What about the ul version?
Wayner

« Reply #55 on: October 29, 2012, 05:37 PM »

Freestylist vs widow std: which one has a lower wind range? Also trickwise, are there any that one can do better than the other?  Roll Eyes

What about the ul version?

I can compare the UL versions. Only have the WM std.

Both UL have excelent low wind abilities. The WM has about 2mph higher upper end wind range.

Both are very capable trick kites. Remember the kite does not do the tricks for free. You have to learn them.  Cheesy

As you are getting started in tricks, both will keep you learning for years. I fly based on what I am in the mood for, not which is better. 

That said. If cost/value is the main issue go with the freestylist. years from now if you have outgrowned it you can sell it and move on to a more advanced kite.  Cool

If you wanted to buy only one UL kite to go from beginner to advanced flyer, the WM would be at the top of my list.  Cool

Pages: 1 ... 3 [4]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

items purchased through the links below help support the forum

Our forum is made possible by the good folks whose ads appear in the right margin of the forum and by the members of our community (PayPal donation button at bottom of the page)
In case you missed it each ad is linked to the sponsors web site.  So please, take a moment and visit our sponsors sites as this forum wouldn't be possible with out them. >>>
Interested in running an ad for your business or kiting event?  Contact Steve at advertise.gwtwkites@gmail.com for a quote.

member support is greatly appreciated!

Untitled Document
J Hall Photography