GWTW Forum
October 21, 2014, 02:13 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Forum Info Login Register Chat  
Welcome to the GWTW Forum.
Guests (non-registered users) can view the forum but are unable to post.  If you don't have anything to say then why would you bother to register?
One of the most popular sections of the GWTW Forum has long been the Swap Meet.  A great place to sell old, seldom flown kites or to get great deals on used (gently flown) kites.  Only registered users can see the Swap Meet section, let alone wheel and deal.  1000's (literally) of kites have changed hands thanks to the Swap Meet.
There are several more benefits to being a registered user, but you'll have to join our little community to find out all the "secrets".
Questions or concerns? Contact Steve ... just drop an email to: forum.gwtwkites@gmail.com

Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Need Help Identifying This Kite  (Read 1419 times)
gwreck
Trade Count: (0)

« on: October 12, 2012, 06:09 PM »

Hello Everyone,
I watch the Forum regularly but seldom post.  My last was about lines for a TOTL Team Chevron Rainbow, for which I received a lot of helpful advice.
I'm looking for information regarding this kite.  It's for sale in my area, and the person says it is a Prism, and thinks the model is called Albatross.  Can folks on the forum id this kite and let me know if it would be a good kite to buy?
Thanks. 

I'm including the rest of the pictures the person posted.  Hope it helps id this kite.  Thanks.

Thanks everyone for the information.  This was advertised on craigslist and the ad said it was purchased on ebay for $150 and he was asking $75 obo.  The heading said Prism Stunt Kite, though the body didn't say Psism, only Albatross.  From all your input I've decided not to pursue this kite, since it would take more effort to check it out than I have time to give it.
Thanks again.

[attachment deleted by admin]
« Last Edit: October 14, 2012, 10:46 PM by gwreck » Logged
thief
Board Moderator
Trade Count: (+25)

« Reply #1 on: October 12, 2012, 06:30 PM »

Is that the crazy albatross from level one???
This might help....
http://web.archive.org/web/20100913091739/http://new.levelonekites.com/content/view/73/112/
« Last Edit: October 12, 2012, 06:32 PM by thief » Logged

Kites kayaks & corgis again!!!
zippy8
Trade Count: (+13)

« Reply #2 on: October 12, 2012, 06:37 PM »

It is most assuredly not.

Nor is it a Prism Albatross as that doesn't exist.

Mike.

Virtual Freestyle - ǝlʎʇsǝǝɹɟ lɐnʇɹıʌ
Ca Ike
Trade Count: (+24)

« Reply #3 on: October 12, 2012, 08:27 PM »

Definitely not a Prism kite.  Any other pics?  Kind of hard to tell too much looking at the back of the kite. Prism never had graphics like that in any of their kites so thats an easy nope. Companies that had albatross kite model that I can think of are flying wings and HQ but not with that layout.
« Last Edit: October 12, 2012, 08:29 PM by Ca Ike » Logged
mikenchico
Board Moderator

« Reply #4 on: October 12, 2012, 11:37 PM »

Agree it's not a Prism, just not Marks graphics. Looks newer, maybe a Chinese ebay kite? Maybe it has a Prism lineset included so the seller assumed it's a Prism?

"Living is easy with eyes closed, misunderstanding all you see" John W Lennon

"People do not quit playing because they grow old, they grow old because they quit playing" George Bernard Shaw
Hadge

« Reply #5 on: October 13, 2012, 03:27 AM »

Albatross kites are one of the brands made by the Weifang company that sell a lot on Ebay. I can't see that exact model, but several that look similar, could well be your answer.  I'm not sure if Weifang are one of the dodgy kite companies or not - one of them makes blatant copies of HQ, Flying wings, Fearless, Rev and many others! Angry

Caveat Emptor!!

Age and cunning will always overcome youth and skill!

In the bag - HQ Shadow, Prism 4D, Flying Wings Soul Mid Vent, HQ Jive (1), Spiderkites Zodarion, 'Paw' modded HQ Maestro ll, HQ Delta Hawk.
thief
Board Moderator
Trade Count: (+25)

« Reply #6 on: October 13, 2012, 06:01 AM »

It is most assuredly not.

Nor is it a Prism Albatross as that doesn't exist.

Mike.
Oh.....Finally found a pic....
Yeah.....not so much......

Kites kayaks & corgis again!!!
Ca Ike
Trade Count: (+24)

« Reply #7 on: October 13, 2012, 01:13 PM »

Albatross kites are one of the brands made by the Weifang company that sell a lot on Ebay. I can't see that exact model, but several that look similar, could well be your answer.  I'm not sure if Weifang are one of the dodgy kite companies or not - one of them makes blatant copies of HQ, Flying wings, Fearless, Rev and many others! Angry

Caveat Emptor!!
Your thinking of the right company Hadge but this is not one of their kites. 

Gwreck, I would take a look at it and see what its made of.  If its decent materials and a good price it might be worth taking a chance on. Look at the rip stop grid.  IF its 1/2"x1/2" then its icarex poly, 1/2'x 3/4" its texlon poly, 1/4x1/4 its nylon.  Look for makers marks on the rods as well. If you can determine its materials it may just be a good risk.

It looks similar to a level one kite but the layout is different than any i have seen. I have been looking for the Albatross kite Dodd Gross was involved in I think for HQ but can't find any pics. A couple things remind me of early Go FLy a Kite models.

Its definitely not a Prism unless Mark did a full custom one off kite for someone but I've  only heard of  him doing that for guys like Tom Ettel and John Weldon and even then it was usually the same graphics layout as the retail version.
TGunn
Trade Count: (+2)

« Reply #8 on: October 23, 2012, 09:14 PM »

Albatross kites make and sell a lot of knockoff kites. They even make Rev copies. Different graphics than Rev, but same shape and size. They make copies of other sport kites as well.
« Last Edit: October 23, 2012, 09:17 PM by TGunn » Logged

Troy Gunn

Founding member of TKO Sport Kite Team - USA

http://tko.sportkite.team.tripod.com/Troybio.htm
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

items purchased through the links below help support the forum

Cal Custom

Our forum is made possible by the good folks whose ads appear below and by the members of our community (PayPal donation button at bottom)
In case you missed it each ad is linked to the sponsors web site.  So please, take a moment and visit our sponsors sites as this forum wouldn't be possible with out them.
Interested in running an ad for your business or kiting event?  Contact Steve at advertise.gwtwkites@gmail.com for a quote.

kmacFab
kmacFab

Kite Classifieds Ad
Kite Classifieds

A Wind Of Change
A Wind Of Change

Kitebookie
Kitebookie.com

Untitled Document

Untitled Document
Untitled Document

A Wind Of Change