Target Kite project
(1/5) > >>
Flying Fish:
As some of you know, I'm in the process of building myself a pair of modern Target Kites, with the ultimate aim of flying them in a pair routine.

Today, I've had the first test flight of the first of the pair, but still without the rudder system.

Anyone interested, read more here. In summary, I need to change some things, but there's definitely progress!
mikenchico:
Great project, the flex actually let the sail respond much like an Eddy Kite was intended to fly, they did not have tight sails and depended on the billow for stability. But that's not what you're looking for in a controllable kite and contributed to the slow turning. 6mm and Fiberglass would be a bit soft for that size kite, hope the 8mm works out.

The sail looks great though, keep us posted on your progress,

I'm certainly curious on how the rudder will effect the kite compared to just varying the angle of the sail. The old Navy video I've seen didn't show the kite to be easily controllable or accurate enough for team flying but who knows if that pilot had more then 5 minutes practice. I suppose you could revert the framing and bridling to a TRLBY style with a free floating rudder for historical purposes but it would be great if they flew fine in proper trim.

Flying Fish:
Thanks for your kind words! I don't think I'll be able to get rid of all the billow, but a bit less should make the kite turn a bit better (at the cost of stability, but you don't want stability that much in this case). In hindsight, the 6mm was indeed a bit naive, but I haven't got much kite-building experience, so blame it on that (and I can always use the 6mm spars for something else again, so nothing lost and experience gained).

Trlby-type bridling is indeed an option, but I'm stubborn enough to try and make it fly with the original bridling and a functional rudder, if at all possible.

As to team-flying (or rather pair-flying), I don't expect it to be as steerable as a modern kite, so whatever pairs routine comes out in the end will depend on what the kites can and cannot do. We've got plenty of kites for modern routines, with sharp corners, quick turns, etc, so having a pair in our quiver which does 'something different' is only a good thing.
Flying Fish:
Update on the project here. I think I'm getting there!
Ca Ike:
THis is a cool project.  THe rudder system is going to be a challenge to get right.  THe original ruder system was hinged wood 1/4-3/8 inch thick screwed to a flat spot in the rear of the spine with two tiller pieces to tie the lines to.  Basically a scaled version of a real plane stabilizer.  The challenge for you is to make it attach to the round frame rod and not move at all and get the vertical alignment right.  Standard spar fittings won't work but you can use balsa wood and rc airplane flap hinges for the rudder materials or lexan instead of wood and make a door hinge type set up.  I'll see what info I can find on the rudder system for you.

I kind of see some missed details though.  THe original garber had a tension line in the edge of the sail run over notches in the spar edges and an adjustable bow line for the cross spar.  I don't see these on your version and the sail billow leads me to think you don't have the line through the entire edge.  YOu might also consider p-300 or p400 rods instead of 8mm.  Using split nocks and a leech line set up might yeild a more accurate recreation of the build and flight and allow for easy integration of a bow line.
Navigation
Message Index
Next page