GWTW Forum
July 31, 2014, 02:43 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Forum Info Login Register Chat  
Welcome to the GWTW Forum.
Guests (non-registered users) can view the forum but are unable to post.  If you don't have anything to say then why would you bother to register?
One of the most popular sections of the GWTW Forum has long been the Swap Meet.  A great place to sell old, seldom flown kites or to get great deals on used (gently flown) kites.  Only registered users can see the Swap Meet section, let alone wheel and deal.  1000's (literally) of kites have changed hands thanks to the Swap Meet.
There are several more benefits to being a registered user, but you'll have to join our little community to find out all the "secrets".
Questions or concerns? Contact Steve ... just drop an email to: forum.gwtwkites@gmail.com

Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Low Wind Pre-Sail Slip On For Revs (Conceptual)  (Read 3506 times)
chilese
Global Moderator
Trade Count: (+5)

« on: May 27, 2009, 08:14 PM »

Having dabbled in the vented territory, we now head into the low wind regime. Instead of pulling out a light wind kite.....

Has anyone tried making a trapezoid shaped sail with a sleeve on each end? The sleeves would slip over the vertical spars on the back side of a Revolution.

Steering independence would probably be compromised, but it doesn't look that different than the Blast or Super Sonic series. Before I waste a perfectly good 3 mil garbage bag costing 75, thought I'd check in with the quad-jocks here.

Comments, thoughts, guffaws?

Conceptual photo below.

John Chilese: Las Vegas, NV
http://picasaweb.google.com/chilesej
kiten00b
Trade Count: (0)
« Reply #1 on: May 27, 2009, 09:10 PM »

it reminds me a little of the Cosmic Kites Prowler Quad, but the Prowler had a tensioned rear sail.
I think that in reverse, an unsupported auxiliary sail might tend to collapse
but I'm no engineer :-|
« Last Edit: May 27, 2009, 11:09 PM by kiten00b » Logged
fidelio
Trade Count: (+7)

« Reply #2 on: May 28, 2009, 02:09 AM »

whatever you come up with john, i'm looking forward to seeing it at the flying field. your willingness to experiment is great.  Grin

Fdeli
rxburner
« Reply #3 on: May 28, 2009, 07:39 AM »

I learned last week that technique is much more important than sail modification when it comes to light wind Rev flying.

But you go John, you know what they say about "Necessity."
Rx
« Last Edit: May 28, 2009, 07:40 AM by rxburner » Logged
kairusan

« Reply #4 on: May 28, 2009, 08:31 AM »

Just don't forget to reinforce the trailing edge, particularly in the center. Supposedly, that kevlar patch at the center of the V is there for a reason.............?  Roll Eyes
mikenchico
Board Moderator

« Reply #5 on: May 28, 2009, 03:59 PM »

John's mod would greatly reduce the tendency for one wing to flip around, that's the reason for that kevlar, of course if you're a good flyer you may have never experienced that  Cheesy

I see problems with drag during forward flight, even reverse flight, but then that's not really what you do with a rev is it? Unless like me about the most impressive thing you can do with a rev is a heart stopping dive to a stop/reverse and I've been known to "bounce" a few of those Wink but give me a break, I've only been flying them since 1990.

"Living is easy with eyes closed, misunderstanding all you see" John W Lennon

"People do not quit playing because they grow old, they grow old because they quit playing" George Bernard Shaw
Watty

« Reply #6 on: May 28, 2009, 06:44 PM »

Having dabbled in the vented territory, we now head into the low wind regime. Instead of pulling out a light wind kite.....

Has anyone tried making a trapezoid shaped sail with a sleeve on each end? The sleeves would slip over the vertical spars on the back side of a Revolution.

Steering independence would probably be compromised, but it doesn't look that different than the Blast or Super Sonic series. Before I waste a perfectly good 3 mil garbage bag costing 75, thought I'd check in with the quad-jocks here.

Comments, thoughts, guffaws?

Conceptual photo below.

I personally would not put the time into such a modification simply because, with the right technique, a rev can fly fine in very low wind. However, this technique is great for individual flying, but when it comes to team flying, it can be applied, but is much more difficult and complicated. I tend to fly by myself more. It would be interesting to try outfitting a team with this mod in 1mph wind and see how it goes.

This comes to mind because at the team clinic last weekend, we had some trouble with light wind team flying.

jsking

« Reply #7 on: June 03, 2009, 10:43 AM »

I personally would not put the time into such a modification simply because, with the right technique, a rev can fly fine in very low wind. However, this technique is great for individual flying, but when it comes to team flying, it can be applied, but is much more difficult and complicated. I tend to fly by myself more. It would be interesting to try outfitting a team with this mod in 1mph wind and see how it goes.

This comes to mind because at the team clinic last weekend, we had some trouble with light wind team flying.

Echo that. Man, I HATE trying to fly team in light winds.

Jeff
ben dantonio

« Reply #8 on: June 11, 2009, 11:20 AM »

Me myself I really enjoy light wind, but I've always been a bit deranged...... Cool John I have
tried that design and have never been able to make it work, it goes up but won't reverse
no matter what I do Cry...... Ben-- oh yeah I do the bounce thing at time on the dive stops too
some times.... Cool

sailor99

« Reply #9 on: June 22, 2009, 01:47 AM »

Tried it with a 'skirt' about half that size and I found it did help in light winds in that you could  hit the drive button a bit harder in forwards. Reversing was harder, but not problematically so. At the end of the day I found the improvement was pretty marginal.
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

items purchased through the links below help support the forum

Our forum is made possible by the good folks whose ads appear below and by the members of our community (PayPal donation button at bottom)
In case you missed it each ad is linked to the sponsors web site.  So please, take a moment and visit our sponsors sites as this forum wouldn't be possible with out them.
Interested in running an ad for your business or kiting event?  Contact Steve at advertise.gwtwkites@gmail.com for a quote.

Kite Classifieds Ad
Kite Classifieds

A Wind Of Change
A Wind Of Change

Kitebookie
Kitebookie.com

Untitled Document

Untitled Document
Untitled Document

Untitled Document
Untitled Document

Untitled Document