GWTW Forum
September 22, 2014, 11:25 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Forum Info Login Register Chat  
Welcome to the GWTW Forum.
Guests (non-registered users) can view the forum but are unable to post.  If you don't have anything to say then why would you bother to register?
One of the most popular sections of the GWTW Forum has long been the Swap Meet.  A great place to sell old, seldom flown kites or to get great deals on used (gently flown) kites.  Only registered users can see the Swap Meet section, let alone wheel and deal.  1000's (literally) of kites have changed hands thanks to the Swap Meet.
There are several more benefits to being a registered user, but you'll have to join our little community to find out all the "secrets".
Questions or concerns? Contact Steve ... just drop an email to: forum.gwtwkites@gmail.com

Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: What would be the name of this trick?  (Read 1652 times)
Ara Ararauna
Trade Count: (0)

« on: October 14, 2012, 02:35 PM »

Hi,

I was trying to achieve the two point landing, so:
1. I started a diagonal dive (top right to bottom left),
2. when I was close to the floor I pulled my right line so the kite turned left (as seen from me)
3. I then firmly pulled the left line to make the lower wing pop out and make the kite enter a shallow turtle
4. and I then wanted to pull both lines to bring the kite down to the floor.

However, this is NOT what I got. What actually happened was:
1. I started a diagonal dive,
2. when I was close to the floor I pulled my right line so the kite turned left (as seen from me)
3. apparently the kite turned a bit too much and the nose was almost pointing up when I firmly pulled the left line
4. the kite made a really nice and flat axel but in the opposite direction of what would be a regular axel.  Shocked

I was completely surprised  Huh  Huh because (a) that was not what I was expecting to see, (b) because it was so beautiful  Tongue and (c) because I had no conscious idea of what I had done but I felt I knew how to do it.

So I tried it again... and again... and again... and I could do it well every time in a sustained manner!!!  Cool
I couldn't believe it. It was as if I was born to do that trick  Wink

So at least I would like to know what that was...
Thanks!

N.

In my bag...
Duals: NoName (NoBrand), Nexus (Prism), Soul (Flying Wings), Talon UL (JoE), LeQuartz (own build), Illusion Classic (Prism), Aura SUL custom (Skyburner), Sixth Sense STD (Krijn)
Singles: Conyne STD (my design)
lylenc
Trade Count: (+1)

« Reply #1 on: October 14, 2012, 03:52 PM »

Spin axel

Fly the kite to the edge of the window, about 30 feet above the ground and do a down spin by pulling back the outside hand. As soon as the tips become parallel with the ground, snap pull the inner line and release the outer line. The kite will axel. Pull the kite out of it's rotation after 1 turn. This is a very smooth axel, is a 2 part move and is very effective in a 2 beat part of a song.

Craig     Walla Walla, WA     Just One More!
Ara Ararauna

« Reply #2 on: October 15, 2012, 04:25 AM »

Great thanks!
I will try this other way of doing it. Sounds nice.

The way I do it also looks super smooth and that's what surprised me most.
Plus the axel looks so flat and clean. Nothing to do with the regular axels I do by stalling the kite first, which are less flat and elegant.

If I can record myself I'll post a short clip.
Cheers,

N.

In my bag...
Duals: NoName (NoBrand), Nexus (Prism), Soul (Flying Wings), Talon UL (JoE), LeQuartz (own build), Illusion Classic (Prism), Aura SUL custom (Skyburner), Sixth Sense STD (Krijn)
Wayner
Trade Count: (+16)

« Reply #3 on: October 15, 2012, 05:34 AM »

What kite are your flying.

My Mongooses lives to do spin axels
« Last Edit: October 15, 2012, 08:39 PM by Wayner » Logged
Ara Ararauna

« Reply #4 on: October 15, 2012, 08:55 AM »

I discovered I could do that with my Talon UL in mid light wind.
I tried it in mid wind and could do it but was a little harder.
I have not had the chance of trying it with my Soul... perhaps next Sunday.

BTW, of course I now still have to learn how to do the 2 point landing which I haven't come around to achieving and this Spin Axel has distracted me from really trying...   Embarrassed

In my bag...
Wayner
Trade Count: (+16)

« Reply #5 on: October 15, 2012, 08:42 PM »

I discovered I could do that with my Talon UL in mid light wind.

Thanks. Can't wait for the right winds to try it on my Talon UL
DonCrash

« Reply #6 on: October 15, 2012, 09:21 PM »

a quick portion @ 1:52
]l

Vented L'organic; Vortex; DS (closeted); Quantum (modded to taz); Ocius STD, UL, UL (2pt P90), SUL; Pi (Home made kite)
mikenchico
Board Moderator

« Reply #7 on: October 17, 2012, 06:30 PM »

And an excellent  example of the Lawn Dart at 2:08   thanks

"Living is easy with eyes closed, misunderstanding all you see" John W Lennon

"People do not quit playing because they grow old, they grow old because they quit playing" George Bernard Shaw
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

items purchased through the links below help support the forum

Cal Custom

Our forum is made possible by the good folks whose ads appear below and by the members of our community (PayPal donation button at bottom)
In case you missed it each ad is linked to the sponsors web site.  So please, take a moment and visit our sponsors sites as this forum wouldn't be possible with out them.
Interested in running an ad for your business or kiting event?  Contact Steve at advertise.gwtwkites@gmail.com for a quote.

kmacFab
kmacFab

Kite Classifieds Ad
Kite Classifieds

A Wind Of Change
A Wind Of Change

Kitebookie
Kitebookie.com

Untitled Document

Untitled Document
Untitled Document

Untitled Document