GWTW Forum
October 21, 2014, 02:39 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Forum Info Login Register Chat  
Welcome to the GWTW Forum.
Guests (non-registered users) can view the forum but are unable to post.  If you don't have anything to say then why would you bother to register?
One of the most popular sections of the GWTW Forum has long been the Swap Meet.  A great place to sell old, seldom flown kites or to get great deals on used (gently flown) kites.  Only registered users can see the Swap Meet section, let alone wheel and deal.  1000's (literally) of kites have changed hands thanks to the Swap Meet.
There are several more benefits to being a registered user, but you'll have to join our little community to find out all the "secrets".
Questions or concerns? Contact Steve ... just drop an email to: forum.gwtwkites@gmail.com

Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: HQ Delta Hawk and gusts?  (Read 690 times)
AntBTas
Trade Count: (0)

« on: October 15, 2012, 01:00 AM »

Hi there,

I've got a HQ delta hawk on back order and just wondered how they handle gusty winds?  I bought it to use when the winds r just too high for me to have fun trick flying, and in tas those winds are usually pretty gusty.

i originally come from a power kiting background so i'm not worried about the pull, but i don't want it falling out of the sky all the time in the gusts and lulls.

I've got a 96 foot gomberg transition tail which i plan to use with it, inspired by the guy in the video below  Smiley

DUAL LINE EXTREME STUNT KITE WITH 96' GOMBERG TAIL IN HAWAII
SparkieRob

« Reply #1 on: October 15, 2012, 01:04 AM »

Can't help with your question, but THAT is pretty cool!

Sent via Tapatalk for iPhone.

Inbetween Heaven and Earth, there are kites.
ae
Trade Count: (+2)

« Reply #2 on: October 15, 2012, 04:33 AM »

I handles gusts reasonably well. But its a relative flat kite. So it can get tricky depending on the gust itself. Its not like a speed kite that can simply flip over in a straight line in bad winds.
Hadge

« Reply #3 on: October 15, 2012, 06:19 AM »

Great little kite! Every kite bag should have one!!!

The Delta Hawk is a tough little kite and pulls more than you might expect for it's size. It isn't much fun below around 20mph but after that it's crazy grins all the way to 40+mph!! Grin  It's very stable under power and it doesn't easily lose drive unless you get right at the edge of the window.  150lb lines are a minimum - I use 220lb and padded straps on mine.  If you can, make up a couple of spare standoffs and tape them to the spine - they can 'ping' off under heavy impacts and are easily lost.

You shouldn't have any problem with a tail, I use a 60ft tail on mine sometimes with no problems.

In lighter winds it will do axels and even a passable fade!

Age and cunning will always overcome youth and skill!

In the bag - HQ Shadow, Prism 4D, Flying Wings Soul Mid Vent, HQ Jive (1), Spiderkites Zodarion, 'Paw' modded HQ Maestro ll, HQ Delta Hawk.
AntBTas

« Reply #4 on: October 17, 2012, 02:19 AM »

thanks all  Smiley

Its not like a speed kite that can simply flip over in a straight line in bad winds.

Thanks ae, good to know, that's what I was a bit afraid of.  I really like the idea of the 'pure' speed kites, but most of our high winds are gusty frontal systems from the Southern Ocean, so there wouldn't be much point getting one  Sad

Great little kite! Every kite bag should have one!!!

It isn't much fun below around 20mph but after that it's crazy grins all the way to 40+mph!! Grin  It's very stable under power and it doesn't easily lose drive unless you get right at the edge of the window.  150lb lines are a minimum - I use 220lb and padded straps on mine.  If you can, make up a couple of spare standoffs and tape them to the spine - they can 'ping' off under heavy impacts and are easily lost.

thanks Hadge, very positive comments Smiley  the regular high winds we get are usually either 15 to 25knots, 20 -35 knots or the every few months or so big winds that can average anything from 25-30 knots gusting to 40 or 50   Huh

I have a set of 220lb lines and padded straps on back order with the hawk, and if i dare take it out in the really crazy stuff I may use some kitesurfing lines  Grin

regards

Ant

Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

items purchased through the links below help support the forum

Cal Custom

Our forum is made possible by the good folks whose ads appear below and by the members of our community (PayPal donation button at bottom)
In case you missed it each ad is linked to the sponsors web site.  So please, take a moment and visit our sponsors sites as this forum wouldn't be possible with out them.
Interested in running an ad for your business or kiting event?  Contact Steve at advertise.gwtwkites@gmail.com for a quote.

kmacFab
kmacFab

Kite Classifieds Ad
Kite Classifieds

A Wind Of Change
A Wind Of Change

Kitebookie
Kitebookie.com

Untitled Document

Untitled Document
Untitled Document

A Wind Of Change