GWTW Forum
April 16, 2014, 03:55 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Forum Info Login Register Chat  
Welcome to the GWTW Forum.
Guests (non-registered users) can view the forum but are unable to post.  If you don't have anything to say then why would you bother to register?
One of the most popular sections of the GWTW Forum has long been the Swap Meet.  A great place to sell old, seldom flown kites or to get great deals on used (gently flown) kites.  Only registered users can see the Swap Meet section, let alone wheel and deal.  1000's (literally) of kites have changed hands thanks to the Swap Meet.
There are several more benefits to being a registered user, but you'll have to join our little community to find out all the "secrets".
Questions or concerns?  forum.gwtwkites@gmail.com

Pages: [1] 2 3   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Incorrect arm movements with cascade  (Read 2871 times)
rudyy
Trade Count: (+12)

« on: October 15, 2012, 03:01 PM »

I have been doing the cascade for 10 years but with the incorrect arm movements.  Instead of popping/pulling my arm to the back next to my waist, I pop/pull it towards my belly.  I can still do the cascade, but when the wind picks up a bit, it is getting a bit difficult because the arm movement is limited. 

It is quite difficult for me to correct it since I have been doing like this for a decade.  Sad

Does anyone here have the same problem?

Rudy
« Last Edit: October 15, 2012, 03:12 PM by rudyy » Logged
JimB
Global Moderator
Trade Count: (+6)

« Reply #1 on: October 15, 2012, 03:33 PM »

This is common.

You have got to break yourself of this habit if you want to progress as a flier.

Re-train yourself now.

It doesn't get any easier.
DWayne
Trade Count: (+10)

« Reply #2 on: October 15, 2012, 04:06 PM »

I watched lots of videos. Richard Debray, Mathieu Mayet, Mathias Haack, Tim Benson, Christian Stahl, etc. Burn those images into your brain then go to the field and try to duplicate them. It worked for me. It may work for you too.

Denny

I always wanted to be a procrastinator..........
I just never got around to it.
whitebirdlover
Trade Count: (+16)

« Reply #3 on: October 15, 2012, 05:09 PM »

I watched lots of videos. Richard Debray, Mathieu Mayet, Mathias Haack, Tim Benson, Christian Stahl, etc.

Denny

Are these video's online?

Anthony
DWayne
Trade Count: (+10)

« Reply #4 on: October 15, 2012, 05:13 PM »

Are these video's online?

Yes they are.

Denny

I always wanted to be a procrastinator..........
I just never got around to it.
thief
Board Moderator
Trade Count: (+25)

« Reply #5 on: October 15, 2012, 05:48 PM »

not incorrect arm movements....just old skool!!!!!!

Kites kayaks & corgis again!!!
zippy8
Trade Count: (+13)

« Reply #6 on: October 15, 2012, 06:43 PM »

Do this ->

Half Axel Cascade Studies 2

Doesn't look difficult, does it ?

Mike.

Virtual Freestyle - ǝlʎʇsǝǝɹɟ lɐnʇɹıʌ
Charles P
Trade Count: (0)

« Reply #7 on: October 15, 2012, 07:33 PM »

I'm actually working through the same problem, I found that it helps me if I rotate my torso as I am doing the cascade. Seems to work for me. Might be worth a try.

In the bag,

Seven SUL, Deep Space UL, Seven Std., Deep Space Vented
rudyy
Trade Count: (+12)

« Reply #8 on: October 15, 2012, 07:49 PM »

Thanks, I will give it a shot.  I hope I can rectify it in one or two session of flights.
Wayner
Trade Count: (+11)

« Reply #9 on: October 15, 2012, 08:49 PM »

Mike.

Cheesy  Cheesy  Cheesy :'(
RonG
« Reply #10 on: October 16, 2012, 03:22 AM »

Do this ->

Mike.

Yep. No more movement than that required. If you're attempting a fountain (rising cascade), maybe a bit of a sharp, upward movement with opposite hand (one attached to the up-wing), to both stop the rotation and pull that wing a bit higher in the window with each rotation.

I used to love watching people who'd learn to axel with that old skool across-the-chest sweep of the arm attempt to move on to the cascade  Shocked After enough chest pounding they eventually either gave up or went back to school and learned it correctly  Wink
inewham
Board Moderator
Trade Count: (+1)

« Reply #11 on: October 16, 2012, 05:23 AM »

After enough chest pounding they eventually either gave up or went back to school and learned it correctly  Wink

Pah! Never! Even though I do everything else by my sides I still slip into chest beating when I cascade  Cheesy

misterbleepy

« Reply #12 on: October 16, 2012, 08:15 AM »

I learnt to cascade on a Fury - no chance of using the chest-beating technique with that kite Cheesy

Keith B...   ...leep     bleep     bleep
red sweater

« Reply #13 on: October 16, 2012, 09:04 AM »

I recently learned the "across the body" half axel...from watching Martin's HA video, no less. I figured that was the way I was supposed to do it! At least if I wanted to be like mama74, and let's face it, who doesn't?

Now I have to (re)learn to do it with a straight pull.

Is there a video of this chest-beating cascade? Purely for humor purposes. Cross my heart, I won't try it. Wink

My bag:
HQ Breeze, Silver Fox 2.3 Pro UL, Nirvana Std, Prism Quantum
ITW Mesa DC, Premier Popper Line Climber
Rev EXP
tpatter
Trade Count: (+19)

« Reply #14 on: October 16, 2012, 09:25 AM »

These guys get a pretty close approximation when they reach high to their upper arms.

http://m.youtube.com/#/watch?v=6TS9ugnarQQ&desktop_uri=%2Fwatch%3Fv%3D6TS9ugnarQQ

This is what I always think of when I see the 'across the body, lift your arm up near your face' cascade technique.   I know a guy who does it just fine this way, but his speed is limited - and it's hard to keep a straight face when you see him do it.

6 kite tom
Pages: [1] 2 3   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

items purchased through the links below help support the forum

Our forum is made possible by the good folks whose ads appear in the right margin of the forum and by the members of our community (PayPal donation button at bottom of the page)
In case you missed it each ad is linked to the sponsors web site.  So please, take a moment and visit our sponsors sites as this forum wouldn't be possible with out them. >>>
Interested in running an ad for your business or kiting event?  Contact Steve at advertise.gwtwkites@gmail.com for a quote.

member support is greatly appreciated!

Cal Custom
kitekids.net

Untitled Document
J Hall Photography