GWTW Forum
September 20, 2014, 01:04 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Forum Info Login Register Chat  
Welcome to the GWTW Forum.
Guests (non-registered users) can view the forum but are unable to post.  If you don't have anything to say then why would you bother to register?
One of the most popular sections of the GWTW Forum has long been the Swap Meet.  A great place to sell old, seldom flown kites or to get great deals on used (gently flown) kites.  Only registered users can see the Swap Meet section, let alone wheel and deal.  1000's (literally) of kites have changed hands thanks to the Swap Meet.
There are several more benefits to being a registered user, but you'll have to join our little community to find out all the "secrets".
Questions or concerns? Contact Steve ... just drop an email to: forum.gwtwkites@gmail.com

Pages: 1 [2] 3   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Incorrect arm movements with cascade  (Read 3392 times)
DD
Trade Count: (+16)

« Reply #15 on: October 16, 2012, 10:40 AM »

want to cure yourself from doing this? put metal rings on your straps after hitting yourself with them enough you will learn Cheesy

[attachment deleted by admin]

Sine Metu!
Dolphinboy
Trade Count: (+15)

« Reply #16 on: October 16, 2012, 10:47 AM »

I recently learned the "across the body" half axel...from watching Martin's HA video, no less. I figured that was the way I was supposed to do it! At least if I wanted to be like mama74, and let's face it, who doesn't?

Now I have to (re)learn to do it with a straight pull.

Is there a video of this chest-beating cascade? Purely for humor purposes. Cross my heart, I won't try it. Wink

I learned the Cascade with an inward motion. Many people have since told me I do it wrong. The thing is, I still do it that way and I'm not too bad at it.  I can do it with traditional style inputs but I never saw an advantage so I just kept doing it my way. i can Cascade, Puddle, Fountain etc. in pretty much any wind. Like with many tricks, there is often a few ways to skin them. I keep my hands down and do a inward snap rotation motion.
Transformer Vented @ Crescent City CA 07-03-2011

You can see me in the background with the kite about 50 sec in or so & see what I mean.

I am not recommending it, but maybe it's not necessarily "wrong" either. I if the trick looks good, well, then it is.

James -
Grants Pass, Oregon
A few kite videos YouTube / Vimeo (Yes, I am a Slacker)
tpatter
Trade Count: (+21)

« Reply #17 on: October 16, 2012, 11:10 AM »

I don't see anything wrong with your technique James - different than the text book perhaps, but effective and economical in motion.

I wish I had a picture of what I think we are talking about here - where the hands and arms go diagonally across the front of the body from the hip level up to the shoulder level and then back again.   

Also, in my opinion, if it works for you, who cares what anyone else thinks.

Thanks for the video - always love watching some beach flying!

-Tom

6 kite tom
thief
Board Moderator
Trade Count: (+25)

« Reply #18 on: October 16, 2012, 11:34 AM »

want to cure yourself from doing this? put metal rings on your straps after hitting yourself with them enough you will learn Cheesy
as someone who flies 80% of the time with leather straps that have 1.5" wide d rings this is VERY true!!!!!

Kites kayaks & corgis again!!!
zippy8
Trade Count: (+13)

« Reply #19 on: October 16, 2012, 11:49 AM »

put metal rings on your straps after hitting yourself with them enough you will learn Cheesy

I suppose you could do it all half-arsed or....

Mike.

Virtual Freestyle - ǝlʎʇsǝǝɹɟ lɐnʇɹıʌ
RonG
Trade Count: (0)
« Reply #20 on: October 16, 2012, 01:05 PM »

I am not recommending it, but maybe it's not necessarily "wrong" either. I if the trick looks good, well, then it is.

I support this post 100%. If it works for you, keep doing it. I think that most people will ultimately do better learning the low-and-to-the-sides style, but hey, if it 'aint broke....

I remember a competitor that used to give me fits when I judged quad - if you watched the pilot, it looked like the most awkward, contortionist performance ever. Yet the kite was doing everything correctly, smoothly, a pleasure to watch. I used to put hold my clipboard out in front of me just high enough so that I could see the kite's movements without seeing any of the person that was controlling it  Shocked
lylenc
Trade Count: (+1)

« Reply #21 on: October 16, 2012, 02:56 PM »

You have a ways to go developing your cross-chest pull technique, if you haven't punched your nose or knocked your glasses off. That's when I decided to switch to the by-the-side style. That and a full summer of SUL weather where I needed greater arm movement.

Craig     Walla Walla, WA     Just One More!
rudyy
Trade Count: (+14)

« Reply #22 on: October 16, 2012, 06:21 PM »

You can see me in the background with the kite about 50 sec in or so & see what I mean.

Dolphinboy,  this is also what I have been doing for the past 10 years.

I try changing to straight pull today.  Very slow cascade is ok, but not the fast one yet.

« Last Edit: October 16, 2012, 06:41 PM by rudyy » Logged
Wayner
Trade Count: (+16)

« Reply #23 on: October 16, 2012, 06:36 PM »

I recently learned the "across the body" half axel...from watching Martin's HA video, no less. I figured that was the way I was supposed to do it! At least if I wanted to be like mama74, and let's face it, who doesn't?

Now I have to (re)learn to do it with a straight pull.

Same problem I had.  Roll Eyes  I love Martin's video but the  "across the body" half axel movement was been a big problem for me to correct. Took about 6 month till it finally disapeared.

Charles P

« Reply #24 on: October 16, 2012, 08:13 PM »

Loving this thread!  Cheesy    Thaks for the video dolphinboy! Out of curiosity were you at the Chambers bay kite festival in Tacoma last July? If not I may have ran into your evil twin.
 Zippy 8s, kung fu hustle is toooo funny and
 Ron G. All judges should be so fair!! lol

In the bag,

Seven SUL, Deep Space UL, Seven Std., Deep Space Vented
JimB
Global Moderator
Trade Count: (+6)

« Reply #25 on: October 16, 2012, 08:43 PM »

The problem isn't with how any particular trick looks as a stand alone.

Your hands are going to be way out of position for whatever else comes next.

That's just the way it is.

It will limit you as a flier.
B-13
Trade Count: (+5)

« Reply #26 on: October 16, 2012, 09:01 PM »

I too just started the 1/2 axel cascade and found myself moving the arms towards my belly instead of my sides. Sometimes in upper winds and where movement have to be rapid, i will have to stop due to several punch and respiratory issues lol
I'm trying hard to correct it but the brain does not want to follow Mr. Madsen movements lol..
I guess i will have to make it slowly on a less steep correcting curve

Proud Member of Kitelife.com #943 Smiley
red sweater

« Reply #27 on: October 17, 2012, 09:21 AM »

I too just started the 1/2 axel cascade and found myself moving the arms towards my belly instead of my sides. Sometimes in upper winds and where movement have to be rapid, i will have to stop due to several punch and respiratory issues lol
I'm trying hard to correct it but the brain does not want to follow Mr. Madsen movements lol..
I guess i will have to make it slowly on a less steep correcting curve

I haven't hit myself (yet), since I take my arm across to the inside of the opposite elbow, just as I interpret Martin's video. However, I have scraped my crossing hand on the other line.

My bag:
HQ Breeze, Silver Fox 2.3 Pro UL, Nirvana Std, Prism Quantum
ITW Mesa DC, Premier Popper Line Climber
Rev EXP
Dolphinboy
Trade Count: (+15)

« Reply #28 on: October 17, 2012, 10:01 AM »

The problem isn't with how any particular trick looks as a stand alone.

Your hands are going to be way out of position for whatever else comes next.

That's just the way it is.

It will limit you as a flier.

I'm sorry but I totally disagree.
Tricking is the act of moving your hands away from neutral. That's the way it's done along with moving your body too. If a trick needs a big arm movement down and away, then your hand is down and away. So then you need to keep coming back to a neutral position. This can be a process were the kite is moving and your already coming back to a position for the next input. Slack is created when you input, pop pull etc. then release the tension allowing the kite to move. Hopefully in the desired fashion. Take up slack, if needed and repeat.

James -
Grants Pass, Oregon
A few kite videos YouTube / Vimeo (Yes, I am a Slacker)
DWayne
Trade Count: (+10)

« Reply #29 on: October 17, 2012, 10:16 AM »

The one thing I've found all the top fliers to have in common is that they don't flail about.

Denny

I always wanted to be a procrastinator..........
I just never got around to it.
Pages: 1 [2] 3   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

items purchased through the links below help support the forum

Cal Custom

Our forum is made possible by the good folks whose ads appear below and by the members of our community (PayPal donation button at bottom)
In case you missed it each ad is linked to the sponsors web site.  So please, take a moment and visit our sponsors sites as this forum wouldn't be possible with out them.
Interested in running an ad for your business or kiting event?  Contact Steve at advertise.gwtwkites@gmail.com for a quote.

kmacFab
kmacFab

Kite Classifieds Ad
Kite Classifieds

A Wind Of Change
A Wind Of Change

Kitebookie
Kitebookie.com

Untitled Document

Untitled Document
Untitled Document

Untitled Document