GWTW Forum
September 01, 2014, 09:36 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Forum Info Login Register Chat  
Welcome to the GWTW Forum.
Guests (non-registered users) can view the forum but are unable to post.  If you don't have anything to say then why would you bother to register?
One of the most popular sections of the GWTW Forum has long been the Swap Meet.  A great place to sell old, seldom flown kites or to get great deals on used (gently flown) kites.  Only registered users can see the Swap Meet section, let alone wheel and deal.  1000's (literally) of kites have changed hands thanks to the Swap Meet.
There are several more benefits to being a registered user, but you'll have to join our little community to find out all the "secrets".
Questions or concerns? Contact Steve ... just drop an email to: forum.gwtwkites@gmail.com

Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: New to kite repair  (Read 1681 times)
country85
Trade Count: (0)

« on: October 16, 2012, 01:53 PM »

The last two kites I have acquired from "the bay" I have gotten really good deals on. But the post office here must make a practice of bending, breaking and running over every package twice, because the last two kites I have had shipped to me USPS have arrived with broken wing spars. I have a "Go Fly a Kite" 3/4 Edge and an HQ Tango(can't tell if it's a tango 1 or 2). The 3/4 edge needs a wing spar, and the Tango needs a back bone and a wing spar. And this may be a dumb question but how do I go about ordering the spars and where is a good place to order from? Does the company you order from usually cut them to the desired length or do I have to do this myself? thanks, Robert

Always fly a big kite, The louder the better. That way others can't hear you screaming as it's dragging you down the field!
DD
Trade Count: (+16)

« Reply #1 on: October 16, 2012, 01:57 PM »

I would call Steve, he is a wizard for such knowledge

Sine Metu!
Hadge

« Reply #2 on: October 16, 2012, 02:13 PM »

Most kite repairs are fairly straightforward. Carbon fibre tubes are available in various diameters and lengths and are pretty cheap for straight carbon 'pultruded' spars. The best way to cut carbon to length is to use either a razorsaw or a Junior hacksaw with a new blade - carbon will quickly blunt it. Be careful of splinters as carbon spliters are nasty little S*^ds if they get you!

I can't help with the GFAK, but frame specs for the Tango are here

http://www.invento-hq.com/supportkites_e.php?art=Tango

Age and cunning will always overcome youth and skill!

In the bag - HQ Shadow, Prism 4D, Flying Wings Soul Mid Vent, HQ Jive (1), Spiderkites Zodarion, 'Paw' modded HQ Maestro ll, HQ Delta Hawk.
Steve
Global Moderator
Trade Count: (+39)

« Reply #3 on: October 16, 2012, 03:05 PM »

Things to determine ...
On the Tango is it the upper or lower leading edge that is broken
What parts or fittings will you need?  ferrules, nocks and stoppers are not always removable (cleanly)
For the Tango you would need 4 mm (.156/.157") pultruded carbon. HQ provides specs for most of their kites so replacement is easy but Go Fly is no longer in business and specs are not available so you may need to grab a set of calipers to determine outer diameter of the rod(s) you need as well as length. It has been years since I have seen an Edge so not sure if one or two piece leading edge, but pretty sure it was putruded carbon,
And yes ... any kite shop worth their salt should be able to cut to your specifications.

Steve ... Ancient One
-look to the sky with imagination, grasp the wind with outstretched arms and take flight
Nolan_k
Trade Count: (+1)

« Reply #4 on: October 16, 2012, 04:22 PM »

On my GFAK Edge 2 it is 2 part leading edge in 6mm pultruded carbon.

In the bag: Prism: Prophecy, I2K, E2, Berkeley 4D. Carl Robertshaw Fury. Dodd Designs: Desire UL, Big Bang, M-80. GFAK Edge 2. HQ: Obsession, Jam Session Millennium. Buena Vista Pulse. Mini Zephyr - Unknown
country85

« Reply #5 on: October 16, 2012, 06:06 PM »

Thanks for all the tips and advice. I actually haven't checked to see if it's the upper or lower leading edge in the tango. I'll get my caliper out and check the specs on the tubes. Never seen a kite quite like the tango, the stand off's are super long and really thin, I"ll be sure to order some materials for spares when I order the other spars lol

Always fly a big kite, The louder the better. That way others can't hear you screaming as it's dragging you down the field!
Hadge

« Reply #6 on: October 17, 2012, 02:32 AM »

The leading edge on the Tango is one piece - 39.37" (100cm) x 4mm. Spine is 25.59" (65cm) x 4mm.

I seem to remember when I had my Tango ( original Tango, not the Tango 2) there were 2 pairs of standoffs - a long pair which fitted into the wing pockets and standoff fitting which curved deeply towards the nose of the kite and a short pair which fitted into a couple of pockets near the wing tips and into a couple of extra LE fittings next to the lower speader LE fitting. I don't know if they still make 'em like that , it was a long while ago...I may be getting confused!

German review here.

http://www.invento-hq.com/images/stories/downloads/reviews/kaf_test_tango%20ii.pdf

Age and cunning will always overcome youth and skill!

In the bag - HQ Shadow, Prism 4D, Flying Wings Soul Mid Vent, HQ Jive (1), Spiderkites Zodarion, 'Paw' modded HQ Maestro ll, HQ Delta Hawk.
country85

« Reply #7 on: October 17, 2012, 03:15 AM »

The leading edge on the Tango is one piece - 39.37" (100cm) x 4mm. Spine is 25.59" (65cm) x 4mm.

I seem to remember when I had my Tango ( original Tango, not the Tango 2) there were 2 pairs of standoffs - a long pair which fitted into the wing pockets and standoff fitting which curved deeply towards the nose of the kite and a short pair which fitted into a couple of pockets near the wing tips and into a couple of extra LE fittings next to the lower speader LE fitting. I don't know if they still make 'em like that , it was a long while ago...I may be getting confused!

German review here.

http://www.invento-hq.com/images/stories/downloads/reviews/kaf_test_tango%20ii.pdf

Yep this is exactly how this one is made. I wasn't sure if the long stand off's were susposed to go toward the nose or toward the bottom to act like a "roll cage". Thanks so much for the specs though, I"m going to be ordering some materials within the next week to get them back in the air

Ca Ike
Trade Count: (+24)

« Reply #8 on: October 17, 2012, 09:03 AM »

Take pics of the packages that are damaged, go to the post office and bitch up a storm, file a complaint with e-bay, then make sure future purchases are shipped insured.  After all that (or before) call Steve and get your parts.
country85

« Reply #9 on: October 17, 2012, 02:09 PM »

Take pics of the packages that are damaged, go to the post office and bitch up a storm, file a complaint with e-bay, then make sure future purchases are shipped insured.  After all that (or before) call Steve and get your parts.

Been there done that. The sellers are one's that I've done with before, and packaged the kites in a way that I would have probably shipped them my self. So I didn't see a reason to file with ebay, as the seller is the way who eats the refund. As far as the post office, I pretty much told them that every one of my packages is going to be shipped with a 500 dollars worth of insurance so I better not even get an envelope with a bent corner lol.

Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

items purchased through the links below help support the forum

Cal Custom

Our forum is made possible by the good folks whose ads appear below and by the members of our community (PayPal donation button at bottom)
In case you missed it each ad is linked to the sponsors web site.  So please, take a moment and visit our sponsors sites as this forum wouldn't be possible with out them.
Interested in running an ad for your business or kiting event?  Contact Steve at advertise.gwtwkites@gmail.com for a quote.

kmacFab
kmacFab

Kite Classifieds Ad
Kite Classifieds

A Wind Of Change
A Wind Of Change

Kitebookie
Kitebookie.com

Untitled Document

Untitled Document
Untitled Document

Untitled Document