GWTW Forum
April 20, 2014, 06:47 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Forum Info Login Register Chat  
Welcome to the GWTW Forum.
Guests (non-registered users) can view the forum but are unable to post.  If you don't have anything to say then why would you bother to register?
One of the most popular sections of the GWTW Forum has long been the Swap Meet.  A great place to sell old, seldom flown kites or to get great deals on used (gently flown) kites.  Only registered users can see the Swap Meet section, let alone wheel and deal.  1000's (literally) of kites have changed hands thanks to the Swap Meet.
There are several more benefits to being a registered user, but you'll have to join our little community to find out all the "secrets".
Questions or concerns?  forum.gwtwkites@gmail.com

Pages: 1 2 [3]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Bridle Modification  (Read 4415 times)
Spz0
Trade Count: (0)
« Reply #30 on: May 31, 2009, 10:29 AM »

Thats what Im thinkin m8.

Oh!  Just a weird piece of info:
The Premier Widow's spec'd out to be framed with P300 SS spars. 
I just took the leading edges out (to see if I could use the spars I have to reframe the lower leading edge), and they're P200's.
So, the only spars that are P300's are the spine, and the lower leading edges (upper spreader is P200).
Maybe they ran out of the P300's in the Chinese shop where mine was made.  lol

-cheers
~Jon
stapp59
« Reply #31 on: May 31, 2009, 10:52 AM »

Interesting on the tube selection.  I don't have a Premier Widow but as Allen says, the P200 is a pretty tuff tube and should be ok as a LE or LS in winds up to 15mph. A P300 spine, P200 LE, and 5PT or P200 LS is pretty common framing for a std.

The heavier tubes are great for adding momentum to tricks but will contribute to oversteer as will lots of tail weight.

Balance and stiffness are other factors to consider when selecting framing. Lot's of trial and error here.

I know the Widow Maker is framed in SS Nitro tubes which weigh the same as P200s but are stiffer.

To summarize this thread, try moving the bridle up and out a little, reduce tail weight, and reduce weight at the extremities to tame the oversteer.

Don't forget that technique may help compensate for oversteer as well.  Wink

Good luck...

Steve
« Last Edit: May 31, 2009, 11:06 AM by stapp59 » Logged
Spz0
« Reply #32 on: May 31, 2009, 11:21 AM »

Thanks for the advice.
The Widow has those adjustable pigtails on the upper outhaul, attached to the upper LE fittings.  I'm going to experiment with bringing the nose forward by moving the upper outhaul as close to the fitting as possible on the pigtails, then lowering the tow point.
I want to lower the tow point because, with the upper outhaul all the way forward, theres a lot of rocking back and forth from the nose.  Other than that, it does track much better, but its a little harder to pancake.
So Im hoping that by moving the towpoint down bit by bit, I'll be able to find a happy medium.  Smiley 
I'll post the results.

-cheers
~Jon
Pages: 1 2 [3]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

items purchased through the links below help support the forum

Our forum is made possible by the good folks whose ads appear in the right margin of the forum and by the members of our community (PayPal donation button at bottom of the page)
In case you missed it each ad is linked to the sponsors web site.  So please, take a moment and visit our sponsors sites as this forum wouldn't be possible with out them. >>>
Interested in running an ad for your business or kiting event?  Contact Steve at advertise.gwtwkites@gmail.com for a quote.

member support is greatly appreciated!

Cal Custom
kitekids.net

Untitled Document
J Hall Photography