GWTW Forum
September 01, 2014, 07:03 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Forum Info Login Register Chat  
Welcome to the GWTW Forum.
Guests (non-registered users) can view the forum but are unable to post.  If you don't have anything to say then why would you bother to register?
One of the most popular sections of the GWTW Forum has long been the Swap Meet.  A great place to sell old, seldom flown kites or to get great deals on used (gently flown) kites.  Only registered users can see the Swap Meet section, let alone wheel and deal.  1000's (literally) of kites have changed hands thanks to the Swap Meet.
There are several more benefits to being a registered user, but you'll have to join our little community to find out all the "secrets".
Questions or concerns? Contact Steve ... just drop an email to: forum.gwtwkites@gmail.com

Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Daring newbie builder needs advice  (Read 1528 times)
Ara Ararauna
Trade Count: (0)

« on: October 20, 2012, 03:36 PM »

Hi,

My wife just bought a sewing machine for her birthday. So obviously I'm going to monopolize it.  Grin

I have only built one kite in the past. A single line conyne (attached image). In fact I learnt to use a sewing machine with this kite.
Although it was my first kite I already decided to design it myself and go for curved seams and a relatively elaborate pattern.
So I'm not afraid of facing any design...   Cool
(OK, if I mess it up I will also report on it  Roll Eyes )

This time I will go for a two line stunt kite.

Now, my question is:
From all the open designs that are available, which is the "best" flying kite?

OK, OK, I know this is impossible to answer so I will define "best" in order to make it a bit easier to answer.
For me "best" would be:
a. That it tricks very well (so I can continue learning tricks)
b. That it flies as smooth as my Talon UL, although this one I will build will be an STD
c. That it has a nice sail layout so that I can play around with color combinations

I have been looking at the Bzar 2011 and looks really nice.
The Sixth Sense and Invictus are also nice.
Very nice layout on the Asmara.
Vortex, Le Quartz and L'Organic are also nice.
BTW, many of the links provided in: http://www.gwtwforum.com/index.php?topic=104.0
are broken...

So many designs and plans I don't know what to do.
Please give me your experiences both in building and especially in flying.
Thanks!

[attachment deleted by admin]

In my bag...
Duals: NoName (NoBrand), Nexus (Prism), Soul (Flying Wings), Talon UL (JoE), LeQuartz (own build), Illusion Classic (Prism), Aura SUL custom (Skyburner), Sixth Sense STD (Krijn)
Singles: Conyne STD (my design)
Hadge

« Reply #1 on: October 20, 2012, 03:57 PM »

Hi Ara,

Your a braver man than me!! I've often thought about building my own but chickened out!

If I were going to build one I'd go for the 2011 Bzar as I've heard it's a good trick kite and reasonably easy to put together well for a building 'newbie'. I've seen some really nice examples that have been built and of course there is an excellent and extensive 'how to' in Sugerbakers Bzar build thread in this very forum.

Look forward to seeing the finished result.

Did you ever get the 540's sorted?

Age and cunning will always overcome youth and skill!

In the bag - HQ Shadow, Prism 4D, Flying Wings Soul Mid Vent, HQ Jive (1), Spiderkites Zodarion, 'Paw' modded HQ Maestro ll, HQ Delta Hawk.
Ara Ararauna

« Reply #2 on: October 20, 2012, 04:02 PM »

Thanks for the comments Hadge.

I have read through the tutorial on building the Bzar 2011 but that central curved spine is the only one part that I still am a bit scared of...  Sad
Yes, I know I'm already sounding like I'm chickening out  Embarrassed
But I am still thinking about it, OK?  Wink

I also saw the P2 that looks quite nice and tricky.

Any other comments anyone?

P.S. The 540 are still waiting for "no rain" and "good wind". Two &%#*ty weekends in a row...  Angry

In my bag...
Duals: NoName (NoBrand), Nexus (Prism), Soul (Flying Wings), Talon UL (JoE), LeQuartz (own build), Illusion Classic (Prism), Aura SUL custom (Skyburner), Sixth Sense STD (Krijn)
Hadge

« Reply #3 on: October 21, 2012, 03:41 AM »

If you want to try something a little easier , the 'Le Quartz' seems a popular first choice.

HERE on 'the other place'

Age and cunning will always overcome youth and skill!

In the bag - HQ Shadow, Prism 4D, Flying Wings Soul Mid Vent, HQ Jive (1), Spiderkites Zodarion, 'Paw' modded HQ Maestro ll, HQ Delta Hawk.
ozzymat

« Reply #4 on: October 21, 2012, 04:34 AM »

Hi Ara

I agree with Hadge start with an easy build like the 'Le Quartz' follow the step by step instruction on Toms excellent web site this will give you a good understanding of the built process. 

http://www.tweelijners.com/tom/tomskitesite-en/Home.html

Mat
« Last Edit: October 21, 2012, 04:39 AM by ozzymat » Logged
Ara Ararauna

« Reply #5 on: October 21, 2012, 07:10 AM »

OK guys, thanks to both.
I think Le Quartz shall be. Now a bit of patience because I don't have much time, so I'll have to go slowly.
Also I'm not 100% sure I will be able to get all the materials from my local store.
So I must check everything.

Also I need to play a little around with a colorizer to make sure I like my choice and motivates me.

Thanks!

In my bag...
sugarbaker
Trade Count: (+7)

« Reply #6 on: October 21, 2012, 11:48 AM »

I agree tha l'quartz is an excellent first build (first dual line that is).  I am actually considering recycling the frame and bridle from my l'quartz (was my first build also!). My original sail was made from an off brand polyester that has stretched badly out of shape. I will enjoy following your build, should you choose to document the process!
Ara Ararauna

« Reply #7 on: October 21, 2012, 12:03 PM »

Thanks sugarbaker.

Darn, I'm still reluctant.  Undecided
I would like a more complex sail layout to be able to have something more "creative"/"imaginative" to fly... I'm a design craze...  Huh
I find the layout of Le Quartz so dull and bland... can't do much with the colorizer.

I'm really thinking on going B'zar2011...

Arg  Cry so difficult to choose!

In my bag...
Krijn
Trade Count: (+3)

« Reply #8 on: October 21, 2012, 12:31 PM »

i think the sixth sense is the best open source kite available! by far
(mine has got the expensive nitro-framing, but i think it is worth it)

and i've flown a lot (essence, quartz, invictus, p2, telica, vortex, b'zar,...)

tom's website of the quartz-build is very helpfull, also when you'll be making another kite
Ara Ararauna

« Reply #9 on: October 21, 2012, 02:15 PM »

Hi,

I found this other layout for LeQuartz which is much more creative:
http://users.skynet.be/cerfvolanttrick/quartz/quartz.htm
I was thinking on the rectilinear one (not the curved one).
So Perhaps after all I will do this one.
However, Krijn's suggestion of Sixth Sense is also very nice. I like the design and if it is such a good kite...

Narrowing in...
One or two months more of discussion and I'll make up my mind...  Wink

In my bag...
sugarbaker
Trade Count: (+7)

« Reply #10 on: October 21, 2012, 05:20 PM »

I was going to suggest the same plan you have discovered.  (Tom's version is from this same pattern, just fewer pieces...).  I think you're on the right track and since you have sewn a single line kite, I am certain you would be successful with this version of L'quartz. 

I do really like the sixth sense... the only things that might make it more difficult than l'quartz are that it is a bigger sail (so more to manage while sewing), and the framing is more expensive.  My L'quartz worked great with a 6mm pultruded frame (with 5pt lower spreaders).  That being said, I know David (designer of the Sixth Sense) has posted a number of framing options on his website that will meet just about anyone's building budget.  http://stuntkitepalermo.blogspot.it/2012/03/il-sixth-sense-nasce-dallesigenza-di.html (scroll down the page... you'll see options for Std. and Ul framing... multiple frames for each).

My belief is you will be happy with either one, but I would still start with the L'quartz... knowing that you'll be hooked on kite making and ready to build another kite shortly after you finish the first!
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

items purchased through the links below help support the forum

Cal Custom

Our forum is made possible by the good folks whose ads appear below and by the members of our community (PayPal donation button at bottom)
In case you missed it each ad is linked to the sponsors web site.  So please, take a moment and visit our sponsors sites as this forum wouldn't be possible with out them.
Interested in running an ad for your business or kiting event?  Contact Steve at advertise.gwtwkites@gmail.com for a quote.

kmacFab
kmacFab

Kite Classifieds Ad
Kite Classifieds

A Wind Of Change
A Wind Of Change

Kitebookie
Kitebookie.com

Untitled Document

Untitled Document
Untitled Document

Untitled Document