GWTW Forum
October 20, 2014, 02:51 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Forum Info Login Register Chat  
Welcome to the GWTW Forum.
Guests (non-registered users) can view the forum but are unable to post.  If you don't have anything to say then why would you bother to register?
One of the most popular sections of the GWTW Forum has long been the Swap Meet.  A great place to sell old, seldom flown kites or to get great deals on used (gently flown) kites.  Only registered users can see the Swap Meet section, let alone wheel and deal.  1000's (literally) of kites have changed hands thanks to the Swap Meet.
There are several more benefits to being a registered user, but you'll have to join our little community to find out all the "secrets".
Questions or concerns? Contact Steve ... just drop an email to: forum.gwtwkites@gmail.com

Pages: 1 [2]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Help from those FW Soul experts...  (Read 4360 times)
red sweater
Trade Count: (0)

« Reply #15 on: October 22, 2012, 01:43 PM »

Why's that?
Do they have more complex bridles?
Everywhere you look on the SF Pro there is a bridle adjustment. On the HQ Infinity there is an addictional one somewhere around the center of the LE's for stabilizing or shutter prevention.

Huh. I have the SF Pro UL, and haven't monkeyed with the bridle. Of course, my bag of tricks only contains axels, half axels, and snap turtles so far. I do know there is a weight balance problem with yo-yos, but right now, I'm not concerned about that.

My bag:
HQ Breeze, Silver Fox 2.3 Pro UL, Nirvana Std, Prism Quantum
ITW Mesa DC, Premier Popper Line Climber
Rev EXP
Ara Ararauna

« Reply #16 on: October 23, 2012, 03:13 AM »

Hi all (especially Norm and Hadge),

I have received the info from Albert and he confirms the numbers that Hadge used to have
http://www.gwtwforum.com/index.php?topic=4607.msg41873#msg41873

The measures he sends are the following:
  • Upper outhaul: 54cm (factory set up)
  • Lower outhaul:57cm
  • Inhaul:63cm
  • Turbo: 9.5cm
  • Pigtails on upper outhaul: 8, 9, 10 and 11cm (factory set up is on the 3rd node 10cm)

So only minor changes in the pigtail distances.

But most of the measures are a bit different from the ones I have.
So I will now adjust everything and see what happens.
I will report back as soon as I can fly the new configuration.

Cheers,

N.

In my bag...
Duals: NoName (NoBrand), Nexus (Prism), Soul (Flying Wings), Talon UL (JoE), LeQuartz (own build), Illusion Classic (Prism), Aura SUL custom (Skyburner), Sixth Sense STD (Krijn)
Singles: Conyne STD (my design)
Hadge

« Reply #17 on: October 23, 2012, 03:51 AM »

This is the pigtail from my Soul.

Age and cunning will always overcome youth and skill!

In the bag - HQ Shadow, Prism 4D, Flying Wings Soul Mid Vent, HQ Jive (1), Spiderkites Zodarion, 'Paw' modded HQ Maestro ll, HQ Delta Hawk.
Ara Ararauna

« Reply #18 on: October 24, 2012, 12:25 AM »

Sure Norm, I'll keep reporting.

I have some hopes. My lower outhauls were 2cm longer than they should so the kite nose was actually tilted towards me and hence was probably picking up more wind than it should. Last night I fixed all lengths and knots (what a nightmare!  Huh )
I also fixed the pigtails in the top end of the upper outhauls, although I have not yet bought the bridle line to make a new longer one as Hadge suggests.
But at least now everything is in place.

I only have to cut the 1cm off the stand-offs (Albert Chen also recommended me doing so) and the kite will be in perfect shape.

I will then have no excuse to fly it properly...  Roll Eyes   Embarrassed  Lips sealed   Sad

I was thinking about something else. Since I bought my Talon UL, it has become my first option. If the winds are low, of course, but as wind picks up I tend to push it a little. I then change to the Soul. So I guess lately I have been flying the Soul only in mid-high winds and therefore my flying experience with it must have changed... Anyway, we'll see what it is like this time.

I hope I have good weather and wind this Sunday and I will tell you all about it.
Cheers and thanks to all of you!

N.

In my bag...
Duals: NoName (NoBrand), Nexus (Prism), Soul (Flying Wings), Talon UL (JoE), LeQuartz (own build), Illusion Classic (Prism), Aura SUL custom (Skyburner), Sixth Sense STD (Krijn)
Hadge

« Reply #19 on: October 24, 2012, 02:00 AM »

If you send me an e-mail I will send you a FW Sould PDF file. I tried to put it in here and the file size was too big.

Is that the standard Soul instructions Norm? If so it's available here on the forum.

http://www.gwtwforum.com/pdf/soulinstructions.pdf

In the bag - HQ Shadow, Prism 4D, Flying Wings Soul Mid Vent, HQ Jive (1), Spiderkites Zodarion, 'Paw' modded HQ Maestro ll, HQ Delta Hawk.
Ara Ararauna

« Reply #20 on: October 24, 2012, 02:45 AM »

If you send me an e-mail I will send you a FW Sould PDF file. I tried to put it in here and the file size was too big.

Is that the standard Soul instructions Norm? If so it's available here on the forum.

http://www.gwtwforum.com/pdf/soulinstructions.pdf

Hi,

If this is the PDF Norm was referring to, I already got it in print with my Soul. However, it does not provide any info on the bridle or on its adjustments.

Thanks.

In my bag...
Ara Ararauna

« Reply #21 on: October 28, 2012, 01:21 PM »

Hi (Norm, Hadge),

This is the first report on the fine tuning of the Soul.
Well today wasn't the best day to try this: gusty winds from 5 to 25Km/h (with a mean of 15Km/h)
However...

... I was gladly surprised!!!!!!!!!  Cheesy

Boy the kite did change!
It is amazing what 2cm in the lower outhauls can do...

I shortened the lower outhauls from 59cm to 57cm
I made sure both inhauls were exactly 63cm and both turbos 9.5cm
I also adjusted the pigtails on the upper outhaul at 8, 9, 10 and 12 (since the longer ones were already both at 12 I thought I would leave them in case of strong wind as oposed to reducing them to 11 as was the original).
I placed the larkshead of the upper outhaul on the third (10cm) pigtail and made sure the total length was 54.

Well, I felt the kite pulled less and was more controllable.
Since the wind was pretty high, I changed to the fourth pigtail (12cm) and the pull was ostensibly even less!

I really never thought a few cm would make such a difference.

The wind then started to die away and I put the upperhaul back to the third pigtail and I again recovered flotation.
Amazing.

So I must now test, verify and double check all this on a nice, constant, smooth 10Km/h wind.
But for the time being I'm quite happy.

In the strong wind I was able to do half axels which were quite difficult before.
Also in the strong wind I managed to do a few spin axels, some of which came out quite clean.

So I have recovered my joy for flying the Soul (which I had sadly lost).

Thanks to all for your kind help and comments and especially to Hadge, Norm and Albert (Chen)
Cheers!

N.

In my bag...
Hadge

« Reply #22 on: October 28, 2012, 02:26 PM »

Sounds like you have it sorted Ara!!

As the uphaul/outhaul are one length of line, if you had the outhaul 2cm too long, then the uphaul would be pulling the nose too far forward and so catching more wind. With all the adjustment knots on the pigtails and the main bridle line it's easy to get it wrong.

It is amazing how much difference a small amount of adjustment can make.

Good to hear you have your Soul mojo back!!  Wink

Hadge

« Reply #23 on: October 29, 2012, 02:04 AM »

As the uphaul/outhaul are one length of line, if you had the outhaul 2cm too long, then the uphaul would be pulling the nose too far forward and so catching more wind.
Steve: The Uphaul/Inhaul on my Soul are one continuous length of line. My Outhaul is tied on at the LE (no adjustment pigtail) and Turbo with a larkshead.

Now thats interesting.  Mine has looong pigtails at the upper and lower LE's and the spine.  It also has a series of knots halfway along the uphaul/outhaul length so you can adjust the relative positions of the inhaul/ turbo. It's a lot of adjustment and easy to mess it up.

Although my Soul has been modified, I think the bridle is original as it looks the same as the one in the Soul PDF file of the instruction sheet. As I've said previously, I seem to remember reading there was a 2nd version of the Soul with some minor differences.  I know mine is an early one.  I did try retieing a new, simplified bridle to the same measurements but without the adjustment in the middle length but for some reason I couldn't get it to fly the same..odd.

Ara Ararauna

« Reply #24 on: October 29, 2012, 01:22 PM »

Oh dear! Here we go again with differences and versions...  Roll Eyes     Wink

I'm attaching an image of my bridle.
Only pigtails at the top of the upper outhaul tied to the upper LE.
The Inhaul is one single thread with the upper outhaul and a shorter piece that goes from the upper outhaul to halfway the inhaul.
The upper outhaul links with a larkshead to the pigtails.
The turbo is a single thread with the line that has the pigtail for the sleeves of the lines to attach to.
Te turbo attaches to the upper outhaul and the inhaul with a really strange knot I cannot make out what it is (something like a double larkshead...).
The lower outhaul attaches to the turbo with a larkshead.

I think I'm not missing anything.

Here you have for posterity...
Cheers,

N.

[attachment deleted by admin]

In my bag...
Hadge

« Reply #25 on: October 29, 2012, 02:02 PM »

Te turbo attaches to the upper outhaul and the inhaul with a really strange knot I cannot make out what it is (something like a double larkshead...).
The lower outhaul attaches to the turbo with a larkshead.

As long as your kite is now flying well don't worry about the different bridle.

The knot is a Prussic knot - pull it tight and it locks on the line, loosen it to move it.

http://images.ebsco.com/pob/summit/catalog/instr_prussic.pdf

Pages: 1 [2]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

items purchased through the links below help support the forum

Cal Custom

Our forum is made possible by the good folks whose ads appear below and by the members of our community (PayPal donation button at bottom)
In case you missed it each ad is linked to the sponsors web site.  So please, take a moment and visit our sponsors sites as this forum wouldn't be possible with out them.
Interested in running an ad for your business or kiting event?  Contact Steve at advertise.gwtwkites@gmail.com for a quote.

kmacFab
kmacFab

Kite Classifieds Ad
Kite Classifieds

A Wind Of Change
A Wind Of Change

Kitebookie
Kitebookie.com

Untitled Document

Untitled Document
Untitled Document

A Wind Of Change