GWTW Forum
September 20, 2014, 11:15 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Forum Info Login Register Chat  
Welcome to the GWTW Forum.
Guests (non-registered users) can view the forum but are unable to post.  If you don't have anything to say then why would you bother to register?
One of the most popular sections of the GWTW Forum has long been the Swap Meet.  A great place to sell old, seldom flown kites or to get great deals on used (gently flown) kites.  Only registered users can see the Swap Meet section, let alone wheel and deal.  1000's (literally) of kites have changed hands thanks to the Swap Meet.
There are several more benefits to being a registered user, but you'll have to join our little community to find out all the "secrets".
Questions or concerns? Contact Steve ... just drop an email to: forum.gwtwkites@gmail.com

Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Best way to splice 2 lines together  (Read 2593 times)
Spz0
Trade Count: (0)
« on: May 28, 2009, 08:59 AM »

On say, a broken lineset.
I've used a fishermans knot in the past, but the strength is not-so-great (on a 150# line, it gave way at about 75-85# of force).  I was using a simple overhand knot on each end, and was thinking of using a figure 8 knot or a stevedor's knot instead.
Maybe sheathing the areas to be spliced to give some added strength?  I don't know.  Thats why Im here.

Any sugg?

~Jon
« Last Edit: May 28, 2009, 09:05 AM by Spz0 » Logged
CTaylor
Trade Count: (+2)

« Reply #1 on: May 28, 2009, 10:14 AM »

Look up a braided hollow core splice on youtube.  If you are breaking line constantly, it's time to update to a newer and possibly heavier test line.

kiten00b
« Reply #2 on: May 28, 2009, 10:45 AM »

ask yourself... what costs more, a lost/damaged kite or kite out of control that injures yourself or someone else or a new line set?
kairusan

« Reply #3 on: May 28, 2009, 11:18 AM »

You could try using a blood knot, which is known for its ability to maintain inherent strength of line (as opposed to the fisherman's knot, which is mostly about being easy to tie and not getting in the way of things).

I've never used a blood knot on kite line before (breaks always seem to happen for me right at the ends, near the sleeving where the line is weakest). But I've used it to repair a couple bridles and have never had a problem.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Blood_knot
Spz0
« Reply #4 on: May 28, 2009, 11:44 AM »

nice info on that bloodknot.  I'll have to try that out.
I managed to adapt a stevedor's knot with the fishermans knot.  Thinking that will work for my purposes.

Yes, yes, yes, a new lineset would be the way to go, obviously, but Im not in the position to afford one atm, thus the need to splice a line together.  Wink  Its a 150# lineset for a non expensive kite that doesnt have much pull, so Im pretty safe for the most part.
normofthenorth
Trade Count: (+1)

« Reply #5 on: May 28, 2009, 08:05 PM »

On bigger hollow-braid lines, I've made strong and neat splices just by pulling one of the lines inside the other for a few inches. I use a crimped piece of fine wire, like a sleeving tool.

It holds well, like a Chinese finger puzzle or finger trap. I.e., the outer part squeezes the inner part hard when it's under tension, so it won't slip out.

The only risk is that it will release like a Chinese finger puzzle -- i.e., somebody will compress/shorten the splice and slip the inner part out while it's under low tension.

For sailboat applications, I usually put in a few interlocked stitches (like from a sewing machine or a sewing awl) with fine thread, just to keep it from sliding. The stitches don't have to be heavy or strong or numerous, 'cause they're not holding anything when the line's under load, just when it's not.

If the end of the outside part isn't smooth enough, you might be able to improve it with some CA glue, or whip it with fine thread.

(I bought a tiny mile-long spool of Spectra THREAD on eBay a few years ago, and it would be perfect for this. Really super-thin stuff, only two strands, surprisingly strong like most Spectra. . .)

I'd try it, if I weren't awash in linesets. . .

Norm in Toronto
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

items purchased through the links below help support the forum

Cal Custom

Our forum is made possible by the good folks whose ads appear below and by the members of our community (PayPal donation button at bottom)
In case you missed it each ad is linked to the sponsors web site.  So please, take a moment and visit our sponsors sites as this forum wouldn't be possible with out them.
Interested in running an ad for your business or kiting event?  Contact Steve at advertise.gwtwkites@gmail.com for a quote.

kmacFab
kmacFab

Kite Classifieds Ad
Kite Classifieds

A Wind Of Change
A Wind Of Change

Kitebookie
Kitebookie.com

Untitled Document

Untitled Document
Untitled Document

Untitled Document