Old School Kites

(1/6) > >>

Desertflier:
I am curious to know how these old school kites performed. They were on my wishlist for many years back in the day.

Would they be worth trying to find?

If you have flown any of these, your comments would be greatly appreciated. (Fast, Slow, what type of flying do they do well, what tricks if any?).

I like "Old School" kites. Especially low aspect ratio kites that are slow to med speed with little to no oversteer.  Thanks  ;)

Big Easy-  Atomic Wedgee
               MEFM

Buena Vista- Feather
                   X4i
                   Catalyst

TOTL- Devil Dog
          North Shore Radical

Air Master- Bad Boy UL

Aerie Kite Works- Air F/X
                          Air F/X SL

HQ- Tramontana

Flexifoil- Matrix

Sky Burner- Tika

Flying Wings- Pandora

coop:
The TOTL North Shore Radical is an AWESOME flying kite. Very precise, not to fast moving, very loud in a good witd. And they will axel if you hit the lines right. I have mine reframed in P300 to lower the wind range a bit. And Im thinking of reframing one in 3pt this winter. Turns on wingtips if you pull nice and tighter with alot of input. Lots of pull in a good wind. LOUD in a good wind. Get two or three going and its crazy.

The atomic Wedgee is very precise, flys great in a light breeze. The framing is G force skinny so I keep mine out of the higher winds. Doesnt require alot of input to steer. Again, it will axel if you hit the lines just right. Very tight turning, almost on center. Moderate pull in a good breeze. Has little bit of oversteer, but could be my bridle setting, I havent had it very long.

MEFM, well what can I say. Still one of my all time favs. Precise, tight tuning good pull in a nice breeze. Very smooth flyer in bumpy winds. I often fly mine when the winds are rough. Not to fast, easy to stall, just all around good time. Looks great in the sky, quiet in flight.

Tramontana, looks great in the air! precise, but tends to over steer. Lots of pull in a good wind. turns very tight when you pull hard, almost on center. Doesnt like the bumpy rough winds. Also doesnt like light breezes, its framed in pultruded carbon so its not the lightest.

I used to have an Air FX. I loved it, shouldnt have sold it. Decent pull, quiet. precise, would over steer but I got used to it. Like all of Kens kites it was just a pleasure to fly. Had a pretty wide wind range, but would "bounce" in really high winds.

thief:
Quote from: Desertflier on October 25, 2012, 02:13 PM

I am curious to know how these old school kites performed. They were on my wishlist for many years back in the day.

Would they be worth trying to find?

If you have flown any of these, your comments would be greatly appreciated. (Fast, Slow, what type of flying do they do well, what tricks if any?).

I like "Old School" kites. Especially low aspect ratio kites that are slow to med speed with little to no oversteer.  Thanks  ;)

Big Easy-  Atomic Wedgee
               MEFM

Buena Vista- Feather
                   X4i
                   Catalyst

TOTL- Devil Dog
          North Shore Radical

Air Master- Bad Boy UL

Aerie Kite Works- Air F/X
                          Air F/X SL

HQ- Tramontana

Flexifoil- Matrix

Sky Burner- Tika

Flying Wings- Pandora

I have instant access to a feather, catalyst and a Velasquez tramontana for you....
Any Buena Vista kite is worth getting.......and an original design 'tana or maestrale is worth having in the bag.....

Desertflier:
Cool  ;)
Some good info so far.

chilese:
The AirFX is Bambi's favorite kite.

The Mojo (son of the AirFX) is my favorite flying kite.

We own 7 of them including the only 2 venteds I am aware of

and Production Serial #1. I do not know what the SL designation is.

2 venteds
3 standards
2 ULs (one on loan to a very good friend)

One of the standards was a gift from a good friend.
In fact one of our Mojos was a gift from another good friend,
  although it is on loan to my son as he needed a really good standard.

There is no oversteer. There is no twitchiness.

There is only a huge window (sail is broadseamed), perfect flight

and spin tricks when called upon.

If you search my website for AirFX you will find lots of photos.

Ken McNeill is the man.  :)

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page