How to stack delta flowtails?

Pages: (1/4) > >>

AntBTas:

Hi there everyone,

I've just got myself two spirit of air delta flowtails, and wondering how to stack them?  If you're not familiar with them, they are bridled like this:

and they have two small holes through the sail where the bridle attaches to sail around the spine:

I thought that maybe I could put some line through the existing holes and use it to connect to the bridle of the next kite in the stack if that makes sense?  I know with stunt kites you attach it like that to area where the bridle normally attaches but I don't really have a clue about this stuff, but it looks like fun and want to give it a go  :)

regards

Ant

thief:

you could do a reverse bridle on the back of the kite...that would ba a quick way to do it....
another option would be to open up the seam on the center of the back of the kite and reassemble with a "keel" that points upwards...this would be more structurally favorable since it would spread the strain over more area....
another option would to cut and reinforce a circle where, if the flying line continued straight through the kite, the line would pass...then just larkshead the lower kite onto the line threading the flying line through up to the second kite.....

how big are they?

AntBTas:

Quote from: thief on October 26, 2012, 04:17 AM
--
you could do a reverse bridle on the back of the kite...that would ba a quick way to do it....
another option would be to open up the seam on the center of the back of the kite and reassemble with a "keel" that points upwards...this would be more structurally favorable since it would spread the strain over more area....
another option would to cut and reinforce a circle where, if the flying line continued straight through the kite, the line would pass...then just larkshead the lower kite onto the line threading the flying line through up to the second kite.....

how big are they?

--

Thanks for the idea's Thief, they have a 2 metre wingspan with a 7 metre tails so they are fairly large.  I attached my 96 foot transition tail to my blue one tonight and it easily lifts it:

by cutting a whole is this the type of thing you mean on the Gomberg site?

http://www.gombergkites.com/G-PYR9.JPG

it's what they do with the ghost deltas...I did think of that but I shudder at the thought of cutting holes in my precious kites lol :o

regards

Ant

thief:

correcto mundo!
Yep, just a small hole is needed...

Robert Brasington uses the second method i mentioned where he essentially puts a reverse keel on the back of the kite.....and has a pigtail on it to attach a hank of line to go up to the next one...

TBHinPhilly:

David Gomberg suggests a small reinforced slit in the skin next to the keel - then one continuous flying line.  Using a slit allows some movement of the kites and flight angle. I tried this method with some pyro fish and it worked.

Pages: (1/4) > >>