GWTW Forum
October 24, 2014, 06:03 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Forum Info Login Register Chat  
Welcome to the GWTW Forum.
Guests (non-registered users) can view the forum but are unable to post.  If you don't have anything to say then why would you bother to register?
One of the most popular sections of the GWTW Forum has long been the Swap Meet.  A great place to sell old, seldom flown kites or to get great deals on used (gently flown) kites.  Only registered users can see the Swap Meet section, let alone wheel and deal.  1000's (literally) of kites have changed hands thanks to the Swap Meet.
There are several more benefits to being a registered user, but you'll have to join our little community to find out all the "secrets".
Questions or concerns? Contact Steve ... just drop an email to: forum.gwtwkites@gmail.com

Pages: 1 [2] 3   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Is everyone on the East Coast O.K.?  (Read 4222 times)
DWayne
Trade Count: (+10)

« Reply #15 on: October 30, 2012, 10:06 PM »

Anyone here from Sammy (TemoniPrince) yet?

I didn't "hear" from him but he was online earlier today.

Denny

I always wanted to be a procrastinator..........
I just never got around to it.
DWayne
Trade Count: (+10)

« Reply #16 on: October 30, 2012, 10:08 PM »

Bobby is in Pa, havent heard from him in awhile though

Bobby survived. Sammy was online earlier today. Still haven't heard anything from Jayson. Cape May got hit pretty hard.  Sad

Denny

I always wanted to be a procrastinator..........
I just never got around to it.
Doug S
Trade Count: (0)

« Reply #17 on: October 31, 2012, 06:30 AM »

This is Doug Stout in Sussex County, New Jersey.  Many trees and power poles are down.  Two poles broken on my property and two trees down.  No damage to the home or cars, so we are very lucky.  I was able to get out of our community for the first time today.  Most in our area are without power.  Running a generator to provide heat and limited lights.  It is going to be sometime before we have our power back.

"We never really grow up, we only learn how to act in public."
RobB
Trade Count: (+9)

« Reply #18 on: October 31, 2012, 09:06 AM »

Rob are yo0u on the Island. ?? Islop or Lindenhurst ??
Hey there, I'm on the north shore in Port Jefferson. I'm also 50' above the water, so no flooding at my house. Down the street, lots of flooding.
Half the stores in the village had 3-4 feet of water in them. It's strange to see the high tide mark half way up Main St...

temoniprince
Trade Count: (+3)

« Reply #19 on: October 31, 2012, 09:24 AM »

Hello everyone thank you for thinking about us.  My town and near by was hit bad. Lots and lots of high tide flooding , buildings collapse trees crushing homes , and no cell power or and electric. I'm trying to use my phone but does not work well. I can't drive more then 3 streets without taking a detour. Thank god I work in a hospital so I will have electic there and all . But the family and everyone I know are well. No generator for me but its ok grilling everything I own haha. No gas stations are open and I got 3/4 tank of gas lets see how long it last in my jeep ......... Thank you all again when I get power back which they say 2-3 weeks I will post pictures.
  Jayson seems fine he is going back to his house today.
red sweater

« Reply #20 on: November 01, 2012, 07:01 AM »

Good luck. I'm glad you were prepared with some gas and food. Grilling is fun. Smiley

I prepared more for this one than the last one (or the surprise derecho), and saw no ill effects. Which is weird, because we always lose powers for multiple days any time we have something stronger than a routine thunderstorm. I still need to invest in a generator for our fridge. I know I'll be needing it, probably at least once a year.

I've never before lived in a place where power was so unreliable. As the storm was bearing down on us, I was comparing our area to a third world country. I can't believe how lucky I was to avoid all that mess this time around.

My bag:
HQ Breeze, Silver Fox 2.3 Pro UL, Nirvana Std, Prism Quantum
ITW Mesa DC, Premier Popper Line Climber
Rev EXP
country85

« Reply #21 on: November 01, 2012, 05:20 PM »

It sounds like every one weathered the storm with no injuries. That's the important thing. This storm was crazy. Slamming New England with rain and flooding, sending wind gust strong enough to down trees and create 8 foot swells in the great lakes, and dropping almost 2.5 feet of snow on my father in the high country of North Carolina. I know some may have, but I don't ever remember a storm like this in my 28 years.

Always fly a big kite, The louder the better. That way others can't hear you screaming as it's dragging you down the field!
Ca Ike
Trade Count: (+24)

« Reply #22 on: November 01, 2012, 07:10 PM »

Hello everyone thank you for thinking about us.  My town and near by was hit bad. Lots and lots of high tide flooding , buildings collapse trees crushing homes , and no cell power or and electric. I'm trying to use my phone but does not work well. I can't drive more then 3 streets without taking a detour. Thank god I work in a hospital so I will have electic there and all . But the family and everyone I know are well. No generator for me but its ok grilling everything I own haha. No gas stations are open and I got 3/4 tank of gas lets see how long it last in my jeep ......... Thank you all again when I get power back which they say 2-3 weeks I will post pictures.
  Jayson seems fine he is going back to his house today.
Glad your OK Sammy.  Tell Jayson to give us an update when he can. I saw a few pics of NJ and cape may was hit hard as was most of the NJ shore. I hope he comes out of it with something left.
Toss up pics when you guys can.
Sherman Myers
Trade Count: (+2)

« Reply #23 on: November 06, 2012, 03:25 PM »

Finally got power and heat today. Warm is good! Grin

Sherman Myers
Westfield, NJ
asburyparkjohn
Trade Count: (+14)

« Reply #24 on: November 12, 2012, 10:55 AM »

Finally got to see Asbury Park beach yesterday. For those who are familiar with AP there is a group of business shops on the border of Ocean Grove (town to the south of AP) and AP. That group of buildings had their back half taken out - all the business shops along AP were all hit but the boardwalk is in great shape. My place three blocks from the beach is OK. Where I fly down at North Beach in AP by the border of Allenhurst (DOG BEACH) there is now ~ 200 (20-100) # rocks. Best winds there as few people after 9AM and west winds not being interupted AT ALL by man made structures. Not sure what will happen here - after Irene they  removed all the rocks - I should not complain - the talk is there are only two beaches left along the Shore - right now - heading south AP & Ocean Grove and the next somewhat intact beach is Atlantic City. REALLY! Not sure if most beaches like Belmar, Pt. Pleasant, Mantoloking, Bay Head will come back this year with a normal looking beach - some beaches just had a boardwalk - others more - like rides, etc. - like Pt. Pleasant - it will take time here and never be the same in these towns. As an example of the 500 homes (1.5M minimum and up) in Mantaloking - 150 homes were taken off their foundations - AP and OG were saved - and the only thing I have to worry about are some broken spars if my Fearless or Transformer hit the ground to hard this summer on some hidden rocks at North Beach which were not moved - I may just cut back my flying and try some other areas and QUIT sooner as people migrate to the beach - lets see what May brings around - in the meantime come March (late) its First Ave.. The hardest hit = Long Beach Island = the north area is till condemned on this barrier island. L.Willougby & Ian? Is your home still there?

In my kite inventory of Dual Line Kites: Benson - Inner Space, Signature Kite of Top Pilots on an Old Style Gemini ; L'Atelier xt.z. ; Fearless-Tatto (SSUL), Fearless - SUL, Light & Light-Vent , Transformer TL's: (SUL & Light), Transformer 2 SUL & UL.
rncembal
Trade Count: (+2)

« Reply #25 on: November 12, 2012, 02:39 PM »

Lisa reported her house came out with very minor impact. I still have heard nothing about Ron and Steff. I don't know where on LBI there house is. Their house is not just a summer beach house I hoping for the best for them .
Rob

Remember before buying on Amazon use this link to help Steve!
http://tinyurl.com/kkid20
asburyparkjohn
Trade Count: (+14)

« Reply #26 on: November 12, 2012, 04:33 PM »

I thought Ron G. is CT. - if so trees were probably the only issue?

In my kite inventory of Dual Line Kites: Benson - Inner Space, Signature Kite of Top Pilots on an Old Style Gemini ; L'Atelier xt.z. ; Fearless-Tatto (SSUL), Fearless - SUL, Light & Light-Vent , Transformer TL's: (SUL & Light), Transformer 2 SUL & UL.
RobB
Trade Count: (+9)

« Reply #27 on: November 12, 2012, 05:55 PM »

I thought Ron G. was down by you guys in Jersey... If he's in CT by the shore, they got whacked pretty hard there, too. I drove through CT. three days after the storm, and the coast was a mess. I finally got back out to see what happened at my flying beach, and found lots of new sand from somewhere else, our beach is twice as wide as it used to be ! Lots of debris, though.
Glad to hear from the rest of yous.
~Rob.

JimB
Global Moderator
Trade Count: (+6)

« Reply #28 on: November 13, 2012, 12:06 AM »

RonG and Steph were with relatives last I heard.

Hopefully they can get in to assess the damage now that the evacuation order has been lifted for LBI.
thief
Board Moderator
Trade Count: (+25)

« Reply #29 on: November 13, 2012, 04:27 AM »

RonG: he mentioned here http://www.gwtwforum.com/index.php?topic=8148.msg72126#msg72126 that he moved...and i just noticed that he is not even a member of the forum anymore......
Hope he is well..

Kites kayaks & corgis again!!!
Pages: 1 [2] 3   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

items purchased through the links below help support the forum

Cal Custom

Our forum is made possible by the good folks whose ads appear below and by the members of our community (PayPal donation button at bottom)
In case you missed it each ad is linked to the sponsors web site.  So please, take a moment and visit our sponsors sites as this forum wouldn't be possible with out them.
Interested in running an ad for your business or kiting event?  Contact Steve at advertise.gwtwkites@gmail.com for a quote.

kmacFab
kmacFab

Kite Classifieds Ad
Kite Classifieds

A Wind Of Change
A Wind Of Change

Kitebookie
Kitebookie.com

Untitled Document

Untitled Document
Untitled Document

A Wind Of Change