GWTW Forum
December 22, 2014, 11:36 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Forum Info Login Register Chat  
Welcome to the GWTW Forum.
Guests (non-registered users) can view the forum but are unable to post.  If you don't have anything to say then why would you bother to register?
One of the most popular sections of the GWTW Forum has long been the Swap Meet.  A great place to sell old, seldom flown kites or to get great deals on used (gently flown) kites.  Only registered users can see the Swap Meet section, let alone wheel and deal.  1000's (literally) of kites have changed hands thanks to the Swap Meet.
There are several more benefits to being a registered user, but you'll have to join our little community to find out all the "secrets".
Questions or concerns? Contact Steve ... just drop an email to: forum.gwtwkites@gmail.com

Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Bridle worn out - confirm my theory for repair please...  (Read 2234 times)
Ara Ararauna
Trade Count: (0)

« on: November 01, 2012, 04:59 AM »

Hi,

After adjusting my bridle on my Soul and having it ready to fly   Smiley  I have now noticed it has worn out from a point next to one knot  Roll Eyes  Cry
(please see attached picture where red arrow is pointing at).

#1 points towards the end of the bridle where the lines attach, so the wear next to the knot is on this main string
#2 shows the turbo
#3 shows the lower outhaul

Since the thread that has worn out is the same thread that goes to the turbo and then splits into the inhaul and the upper outhaul, if I want to substitute it all it will be a huge mess and will have to rebuild the whole bridle!   Sad
I really don't feel capable of doing that.

So my idea to repair this is to cut the bridle thread at the point where it has worn out (red arrow). Since there is a knot there I guess there is no danger that the bridle will undo itself.
I will then reproduce the bit of the bridle that goes to the lines (which I will have cut away) with new bridle thread and link it with a larkshead to the dead knot I will have left.

I would do this for both bridles (left and right) to have them symmetrical.

What do you think?
All feedback will be greatly appreciated.
Thanks!

N.

[attachment deleted by admin]

In my bag...
Duals: NoName (NoBrand), Nexus (Prism), Soul (Flying Wings), Talon UL (JoE), LeQuartz (own build), Illusion Classic (Prism), Aura SUL custom (Skyburner), Sixth Sense STD (Krijn)
Singles: Conyne STD (my design)
thief
Board Moderator
Trade Count: (+25)

« Reply #1 on: November 01, 2012, 05:08 AM »

you could try getting a hold of Bell to see if he can a)give any details on it & b)get you a new factory bridle
He is here

Kites kayaks & corgis again!!!
Ara Ararauna

« Reply #2 on: November 01, 2012, 05:35 AM »

OK thanks, I will.

However, in the meantime, would my repair be a good solution?
Cheers,

N.

In my bag...
Duals: NoName (NoBrand), Nexus (Prism), Soul (Flying Wings), Talon UL (JoE), LeQuartz (own build), Illusion Classic (Prism), Aura SUL custom (Skyburner), Sixth Sense STD (Krijn)
Ca Ike
Trade Count: (+24)

« Reply #3 on: November 01, 2012, 05:54 AM »

If the wear is on the leaders that hook to your flying lines then you can just cut them off and not even worry about replacing them.  IIRC the soul leaders and turbo leg were the same line so if you make new leaders just tie a long loop and match the knot locations with the original.
Hadge

« Reply #4 on: November 01, 2012, 07:00 AM »

Hi Ara,

The line that is worn (1) is the leader length . The length 2-3 is one long length from the uphaul to the outhaul and includes the turbo length.

If you loosen the knot where the leader length attaches to the 2-3 length you should find it is a prussic knot.

All you need to do is untie the prussic knot and remove the leader length then I would cut off the loop where the line has worn and tie  new loop in the existing leader - this will shorten the leader length by about 15-20 cm but the leaders on the Soul are very long and it probably won't make much difference.  You will need to do the same to the other leader to keep them even.

The other way is simply to get a new length of bridle line and tie a new leader to replace the worn one - you may have trouble finding white bridle line.  Either way it is a simple fix.  Look online to see how to retie the prussic knot - it's a bit like a double looped larkshead.

Age and cunning will always overcome youth and skill!

In the bag - HQ Shadow, Prism 4D, Flying Wings Soul Mid Vent, HQ Jive (1), Spiderkites Zodarion, 'Paw' modded HQ Maestro ll, HQ Delta Hawk.
Ara Ararauna

« Reply #5 on: November 01, 2012, 08:16 AM »

Thanks Ca Ike, that could indeed be one solution.

Thanks Hadge, although what you describe is not the case in my bridle, you have given me an idea.

Actually on my Soul the length 2-3 is not the line from the uphaul to the outhaul.
As I said 3 is the outhaul that is linked to the turbo with a larkshead.
2 is the turbo which is the same thread that includes the leader length.

Now, the prussic knot is at the other end of the turbo. Hence the turbo is attached to the long single length that forms the uphaul and inhaul in my bridle.
So, although it is not what you said but your comment made me notice that if I substitute the leader length AND the turbo, I can link it back to the uphaul-inhaul with a new prussic knot and it will not be as big a mess as I thought.

Thanks!

N.

In my bag...
Ca Ike

« Reply #6 on: November 01, 2012, 08:49 AM »

Thats a reverse turbo Ara.  Which makes me wonder if your bridle was changed.  MOst souls I have seen have a standard turbo bridle.
Hadge

« Reply #7 on: November 01, 2012, 09:26 AM »

Aaah, I see now!

Ok, suggestion 2 - Cut the leader line below the knot where it has worn - leave about 5mm below the knot and use a lighter to carefully melt the end of this so it doesn't slip through the knot. Tie a loop on the end of the leader line where you have cut it and re attach it in the same way you attach lines to straps ( or just larkshead it).

Do the same to the other side to make them even. That should sort it! Wink

In the bag - HQ Shadow, Prism 4D, Flying Wings Soul Mid Vent, HQ Jive (1), Spiderkites Zodarion, 'Paw' modded HQ Maestro ll, HQ Delta Hawk.
tpatter

« Reply #8 on: November 01, 2012, 09:39 AM »

I would just keep flying it until the outer layer is gone and you are left with just the spectre core.   Even then, I have flown for a season with no breaks. 

If you do replace anything, be sure to first make a drawing and record all the dimensions so that you can do a sanity check on your updated one later.   I find it easest to do this while the bridle is still on the kite.   It is easy to make a mistake - many folks don't initially realize that tying a knot in a line will considerably reduce its length.

Good luck,

Tom

6 kite tom
Ara Ararauna

« Reply #9 on: November 01, 2012, 09:52 AM »

Hi,

Thanks again to all.

Ca Ike: This is how my bridle came from factory settings... ?!?!   Sad
Supposedly no one has changed anything...
So I'm now lost as to whether I should change the whole bridle. However, this is a daunting task for me.

Hadge: Yes, this was my first idea but I am going ahead with changing the whole set of turbo+leader line. I think I see clearly how to do it without messing it up.

Tom: Continuing from this, yes I am aware knots shorten the lines considerably. Even more when the line is double (about 1cm I have seen).
Concerning the wearing level, the outer layer is now gone so I'm already left with the core only. I think I will not take the risk and since the disassembling of the segment I need to replace has been easy I'm going ahead with this option.

So I have now disassembled the set of turbo+leader line and am using it as a physical template to replicate it. I think I will manage not to mess it up.

Thanks!

N.
« Last Edit: November 01, 2012, 10:20 AM by Ara Ararauna » Logged

In my bag...
Ara Ararauna

« Reply #10 on: November 01, 2012, 12:06 PM »

Done!
Repair completed successfully.
The prussic knot was a little tricky at first but I then managed to figure it out.

Since the Soul bridle string is white and I could only find black at my local store I decided to replace both sides to leave a symmetrical apprearance.
Both came out identical to the original  Cool

I hope it all goes well when flying.

Thanks all for your help, motivation and inspiration.

N.

In my bag...
Ara Ararauna

« Reply #11 on: November 01, 2012, 03:28 PM »

Ara......Curious to know if your bridle has a piece of clear pvc tubing to protect the upper outhaul (Uphaul) from wearing on your lower spreaders. You can see mine in this picture. It starts from the T in Turbo and goes upward to the Lower Spreader.

Yep! My bridle looks just like yours. With the protection tube and all.

Your picture clearly shows that a single thread forms first the inhaul which then goes through the prussic knot of the turbo and continues (through the tube) as the uphaul until it reaches the larkshead that links to the upper pigtails and then goes down forming what I think is called the activator leg that links back to halfway the inhaul.
It also shows how the lower outhaul links to the overhand knot of the turbo with a larkshead.

Ca Ike: as you can see, this seems to be the way the bridles of Souls are being delivered. I wonder why yours is different. (?)

Cheers,

N.

In my bag...
Hadge

« Reply #12 on: November 01, 2012, 04:25 PM »

The bridle on the early Souls had lots of knots for adjustment all over the place, LE, spine and halfway down the bridle - too much adustment really, very messy. The newer Souls like yours and Norms have a much cleaner bridle set up.  Now I've seen it I may tie up a new bridle for mine over the winter.

Hadge

« Reply #13 on: November 02, 2012, 05:21 AM »

The bridle on the early Souls had lots of knots for adjustment all over the place, LE, spine and halfway down the bridle - too much adustment really, very messy. The newer Souls like yours and Norms have a much cleaner bridle set up.  Now I've seen it I may tie up a new bridle for mine over the winter.
Hadge......Did you get my PM with the address for FW? They will mail you new (White) bridle line. Don't bother trying the customer service e-mail address provided on their website. Send a letter with what you need and they will mail it to you.

Hi Norm, sorry I haven't got back to yet on the message.  I have a big roll of bridle line in my box of bits and I quite like tying up bridles so I'll make my own when I get some time. Having looked at your photo I can now see exactly how they have made it so it should be quite easy. Wink

Ara Ararauna

« Reply #14 on: November 02, 2012, 12:11 PM »

This is what it looks like in the locked position.

Hi Norm.

Yes thanks, I did do the prussic knot correctly  Cool

This afternoon was a ball. I had so much fun from 4 to 6PM.
I learnt a lot and I was able to verify everything works fine. My adjustments of the bridle, my repair of the worn leader line, the pigtail adjustments...

At first the wind was pretty strong (around 15-20Km/h with strong gusts of +25Km/h). So I placed the uphaul at the last knot (12cm) and I did verify that the pull was reduced.
I could fly quite well and could do some half-axels and some spin axels (on the left side 'cause I'm right-handed).

Then at around 5PM the wind went down to quite low smooth 5-10Km/h. It was getting hard to keep the Soul in the air since the wind was quite irregular. I changed to the higher pigtail (8cm).
The change was radical!
The kite floated much better. I did not have to do so much arm-work and I started practising the spin axel on the right side and I managed to do it!
I then started to alternate one spin axel on the right and one on the left and it was so much fun!

Sorry I might sound naive or even childish silly but I wanted to transmit my joy to you and thank you for helping me out so much and making me recover the joy of flying the Soul.

Norm, Hadge really, really BIG, BIG THANKS!

N.

In my bag...
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

kmacFab
kmacFab

Kite Classifieds Ad
Kite Classifieds

A Wind Of Change
A Wind Of Change

Untitled Document
Untitled Document

Kite Classifieds Ad
Fly Market

A Wind Of Change
skyshark

Kitebookie
Kitebookie.com

Untitled Document

Untitled Document
Untitled Document

Our forum is made possible by the good folks whose ads appear above and by the members of our community (PayPal donation button at bottom)
In case you missed it each ad is linked to the sponsors web site.  So please, take a moment and visit our sponsors sites as this forum wouldn't be possible with out them.
Interested in running an ad for your business or kiting event?  Contact Steve at advertise.gwtwkites@gmail.com for a quote.

Cal Custom

Support the GWTW Forum