GWTW Forum
July 28, 2014, 01:40 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Forum Info Login Register Chat  
Welcome to the GWTW Forum.
Guests (non-registered users) can view the forum but are unable to post.  If you don't have anything to say then why would you bother to register?
One of the most popular sections of the GWTW Forum has long been the Swap Meet.  A great place to sell old, seldom flown kites or to get great deals on used (gently flown) kites.  Only registered users can see the Swap Meet section, let alone wheel and deal.  1000's (literally) of kites have changed hands thanks to the Swap Meet.
There are several more benefits to being a registered user, but you'll have to join our little community to find out all the "secrets".
Questions or concerns? Contact Steve ... just drop an email to: forum.gwtwkites@gmail.com

Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Stacker kites  (Read 2007 times)
CrankyThunder
Trade Count: (+3)

« on: October 28, 2012, 08:54 AM »

Good afternoon guys, newby here to this forum but a experienced kite flyer in general.

Been flying kites quite a bit, current stable includes (from smallest to biggest):

one unknown brand delta dual line super high wind kite,
a el cheapo beginner dual line low wind unknown brand delta,
HQ Symphony Beach 2.1 meter Dual Line
Flexifoil 10 dual line
Prism 3.0 meter dual line foil
HQ Quad 3.5 meter hydro quad line
HQ Beemer series 3, quad line five meter kite.

I have done some winter Kite skiing on the frozen lakes with the 3.5 and the 5.0 meter kites as well. I have also flown a stack of three Flexifoil 10's yesterday when two other flexifoil fliers found ourselves at the kite field at the same time, it was awesome!

Want to expand my kite flying to a stacker delta wing kites.  I have seen them at the beach and they look like they would expand the enjoyment I get flying kites. Problem is that there is not much information available other then "pretty much any delta kite can be stacked".  Not looking for cutting edge performance, have a couple hot rods perfectly suitable for when I want to rock and roll.  Looking for more of a relaxing experience with the visuals accompanied with mellow tunes through the ipod (hope that helps). 

Anyways, no real good kite stores near me, and unable to find any dealers on line although I have not searched much. 

questions: 

1)  Can you recommend a good dealer online to direct me to for a 5 plus stack?
2) Found this on ebay:

ebay link removed  (Il Duce)

I have seen some used five stacks going for $200.00 but do not know what the extra expense buys you.  Not against spending the extra dollars but what is it that you get for the extra money?

Your evaluation of this ebay offer would be greatly appreciated!

Although I have had very good purchasing experiences with used kites, they have been kites that I am knowledeable about and had a very good idea going in what I was getting for my purchase.  In this case, I have zero experience with stacking other then watching other kiters on the beach and I have always been preoccupied with my own kites and to busy being an ambasador to the sport (answering questions and getting my smaller kites in newbies hands) to catch the stack fliers attention when they were wrapping up. 

Your recommendations and observations would be very helpful!

Regards,
Cranky
« Last Edit: October 28, 2012, 09:33 AM by chilese » Logged
thief
Board Moderator
Trade Count: (+25)

« Reply #1 on: October 28, 2012, 09:11 AM »

Hey Cranky..welcome to the forum!
One of the rules here is no linking to ebay sales....would you mind removing that from your post?

Stacking Duals:
you can stack any dual line kite....works best of course stacking the same version of the kite but i have seen some Frankenstein stacks of different kites piled up....it worked....

There are some classic kites that stack very very well - I have sold a couple large stacks of Laser Sport kites that Smeagol(here on the forum) can attest to giving a good pull!
in fact i feel that the older design duals do better in a stack than the newer ones....they were simpler deisgns designed to fly straight and stable...

Of course the more you pay for a kite/stack the better quality (most likely) you will get.   I would be wary of buying a kite stack like that one in ebay that ships directly from Hong Kong...with free shipping included i am guessing that they  will be low quality materials (both rods and skin) and maybe questionable sewing on it as well...then if you want to contest the ebay sale having it based in another country it makes it a bit harder for you to just ship the stack back and get a refund....

There is a stack for sale in the swap meet that might tempt you: http://www.gwtwforum.com/index.php?topic=8589.0
These are the same kite design just sized down....a bit more $...but made by a quality kite maker!

Kites kayaks & corgis again!!!
CrankyThunder

« Reply #2 on: October 28, 2012, 11:52 AM »

Dear Thief:

Thank you for your reply and it looks like the ebay link is already taken care of. 

Any other comments will be greatly appreciated. 

Cranky
kiteking
Trade Count: (+10)

« Reply #3 on: October 28, 2012, 04:21 PM »

Stacking Duals:
you can stack any dual line kite....works best of course stacking the same version of the kite ...

Cranky,

I have experience stacking some kites, here are a few

I do have a page that talks about stacking here

Hope this is helpfull

"Wind to your back, Kite in the sky."

MikeM
Brookings, OR  - KP 4-11

#518  -    #110883 -

DD
Trade Count: (+16)

« Reply #4 on: October 28, 2012, 08:10 PM »

I have a 8 stack of adrenalines( the older nexus) I bought it as a 5 and added more.
I also have a 5 stack of microns
The triangle bag that comes with prebuilt stacks make them easy to setup and take down. Even if you are going to do build  your own stack I would say its worth it to make a bag. Less messing with having to put kites together.
If you are going to fly stacks for a long time or are heavy pullers you will need padded straps.
A helper is sometimes helpful if you make a mistake and tangle the stack
Pull the triangle bag out and attach the lines to the first kite.
Unwind the line and stake the straps down. A big screwdriver will do in a pinch.
You can then go back to the stack and lift them out of the bag and use the tension of the lines to "lean them against".
Put the standoffs in place and check that each kite is not wrapped up in the link lines.
If the stack has tails now is the time to lay them under the kites and get them untangled.
Return to straps and pull your stack into the air and fly!
Yes. I can axle my stacks but it is alot tougher with tails!
If you buy a premaid stack there is alot less tuning. You may find the last is upset that it's last in line and wants to jump out of line to see what it is going on in front. To help this you may find that you need to shorten the top link lines by a bit.
Once you get done flying I will generally fly the stack to the edge of the window and set them down. I can get them to stand up and 'touch down' neatly and near the bag.This may not be the case on your first attempts at landing!
This when its handy to have the stake to stake the straps again.
Return to the kites and undo the standoffs and pull the kites together. I then leave the bottoms corners of the bag zipped up a bit and set the corners of the kites into them.
From there I just zigzag the tails into the bottom of the bag.
I'll then go back to the straps and wind up the lines, disconnect them from the kites and zip up the bag

They are great attractions to fly!
« Last Edit: October 28, 2012, 08:13 PM by DD » Logged

Sine Metu!
indigo_wolf
Trade Count: (+10)

« Reply #5 on: October 28, 2012, 08:39 PM »

FWIW: There is a Nexus 5 Stack for sale here:
http://www.powerkiteforum.com/viewthread.php?tid=21063&page=1#pid212586

"All kites are in great shape (no rips or repairs), as are the lines and handles. One of the metal connection points on the bridle came undone in higher winds and is bent out of shape. I bent it back in shape and proceeded to larks head BEHIND the metal connection point as there is a load limit on the metal connectors. The bag's zipper handles broke, but the bag is in great condition otherwise.

$200 shipped.

Note: the bags can hold the kites flat which makes it easier to assemble or rolled up which means more assembly required, but saves space. Kites will be shipped rolled up so there will be initial assembly required. "

Zipper tab can easily (maybe even preferably) replaced with paracord.   And the metal connection points were a Prism think to make it "easy" for new fliers.  Lots of folks just remove the outright and use pigtails/lardshead and never look back.  The one or two Prism kites I received with metal connectors, had the clips removed by me within the first 5-10 minutes.

ATB,
Sam
mikenchico
Board Moderator
Trade Count: (0)

« Reply #6 on: October 28, 2012, 10:27 PM »

Or you could check out the options available right here from "The Forums" host, Chico Kites / Gone With The Wind Kites and help support "The Forum" and its generous host Steve.

Fleet 3 Stack - a nice progressive stack

Prism Micron 5 Stack - Small & Fast

Prism Nexus 5 Stack - Nice medium sized stack

« Last Edit: October 28, 2012, 10:29 PM by mikenchico » Logged

"Living is easy with eyes closed, misunderstanding all you see" John W Lennon

"People do not quit playing because they grow old, they grow old because they quit playing" George Bernard Shaw
thief
Board Moderator
Trade Count: (+25)

« Reply #7 on: October 29, 2012, 04:33 AM »

Mike is the fleet 3 stack the into the wind version of wakeless' stack?

Kites kayaks & corgis again!!!
Smeagol
Trade Count: (+79)

« Reply #8 on: October 29, 2012, 11:25 AM »

Similar in that they're progressive, but smaller.  I believe the Wakeless stack is 6/8/10 foot wingspan.
Michel
Trade Count: (+11)

« Reply #9 on: October 29, 2012, 12:54 PM »

[...] you can stack any dual line kite....works best of course stacking the same version of the kite but i have seen some Frankenstein stacks of different kites piled up....it worked...

Are you sure Thief ?  Cheesy

Smeagol
Trade Count: (+79)

« Reply #10 on: October 29, 2012, 03:03 PM »

Hah, nice!  That's definitely an oddly mixed stack.
ae
Trade Count: (+2)

« Reply #11 on: October 29, 2012, 04:26 PM »

Makes me wish to dig out my OLD stack of 10 Spinoffs, quadlined. That beast was fun to fly.
CrankyThunder

« Reply #12 on: October 30, 2012, 03:29 AM »

Awe man! all these replies are awesome!

I reallylike that stack by Tata!

Keep posting the pics of your stacks which is getting me stoked!

Regards,
Cranky
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

items purchased through the links below help support the forum

Our forum is made possible by the good folks whose ads appear below and by the members of our community (PayPal donation button at bottom)
In case you missed it each ad is linked to the sponsors web site.  So please, take a moment and visit our sponsors sites as this forum wouldn't be possible with out them.
Interested in running an ad for your business or kiting event?  Contact Steve at advertise.gwtwkites@gmail.com for a quote.

Kite Classifieds Ad
Kite Classifieds

A Wind Of Change
A Wind Of Change

Kitebookie
Kitebookie.com

Untitled Document

Untitled Document
Untitled Document

Untitled Document
Untitled Document

Untitled Document