GWTW Forum
December 22, 2014, 04:50 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Forum Info Login Register Chat  
Welcome to the GWTW Forum.
Guests (non-registered users) can view the forum but are unable to post.  If you don't have anything to say then why would you bother to register?
One of the most popular sections of the GWTW Forum has long been the Swap Meet.  A great place to sell old, seldom flown kites or to get great deals on used (gently flown) kites.  Only registered users can see the Swap Meet section, let alone wheel and deal.  1000's (literally) of kites have changed hands thanks to the Swap Meet.
There are several more benefits to being a registered user, but you'll have to join our little community to find out all the "secrets".
Questions or concerns? Contact Steve ... just drop an email to: forum.gwtwkites@gmail.com

Pages: [1] 2   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Bet you can't do that: +540-540  (Read 2722 times)
Ara Ararauna
Trade Count: (0)

« on: November 03, 2012, 02:32 PM »

Hi,

Today it was a really low wind day but in the evening I had a few minutes of soft breeze.
So out went my TalonUL.
I thought I would try the 540.

So I dive the kite, I give slack asymmetrically, give a pull to the right line and the kite starts to turn.
But I initially forgot to give more slack so the lines started to get tangled on the kite. The kite was not stopped though because I then did give more slack.
So the kite did a nice 540 turning from left to right (+540).
When the 540 was over I pulled the lines to get the kite flying back up.
BUT at this point what happened was that I actually caused the lines to untangle from the kite.

So the kite started a 540 turn from right to left!!!  Shocked

So I gave slack immediately and the kite did the full 540 but in the opposite direction (-540)!

When the -540 was over I then pulled the lines and the kite flew nicely back up out of the figure.

Of course I will not be able to reproduce this and unfortunately I have no video proof, so you will have to take my word for it.  Wink

So I challenge everyone to post a video showing this +540-540 figure.  Smiley
(with tangling lines, of course)
Cheers,

N.

In my bag...
Duals: NoName (NoBrand), Nexus (Prism), Soul (Flying Wings), Talon UL (JoE), LeQuartz (own build), Illusion Classic (Prism), Aura SUL custom (Skyburner), Sixth Sense STD (Krijn)
Singles: Conyne STD (my design)
Wayner
Trade Count: (+18)

« Reply #1 on: November 03, 2012, 04:35 PM »

I have done the same thing twice but no video.

Used your same light wind technique.  Cheesy 

While I'm good at not giving slack, but not consistant enought to get the same tip wrap to repeat this trick on command.  Cheesy

For the record this trick is a 540 in one direction then a 360 the opposite way.  Wink

Dano
Trade Count: (+9)

« Reply #2 on: November 03, 2012, 07:41 PM »

I had a similar low-wind day today too...
Thought i'd work on the 540's and cracked a nice one on the 2nd attempt with my Inner Space.   Surpised myself!  Cool
B-13
Trade Count: (+5)

« Reply #3 on: November 04, 2012, 01:19 AM »

I did this multiple time with my Big Bang from NTK. It has a tendency to tip wrap if not given enough slack. This is possible only on a perfect day smooth breeze. Unfortunately we don't have a video for this is cannot be done intentionally neither. Smiley
On my other kites, i don't get such super flat 540s but they spin rather quicker than the Big Bang. Anyway i take it out only when practicing spin tricks (540, axels, etc)

Proud Member of Kitelife.com #943 Smiley
RobB
Trade Count: (+9)

« Reply #4 on: November 04, 2012, 05:39 AM »

It's not a -540, but I think this is something like you're describing. Works on most kites in the bottom of their wind range...
Starts at 1:40.

Fearless Tattoo Feb.2012...

vertigo2u

« Reply #5 on: November 04, 2012, 08:50 AM »

A 540 has to finish with the kite going upward.  If not it's not a 540...  I have also done what you are saying by accident.  Start a 540 as it finishes and starts to move upward.  Line is caught in leading edge and reverses it'self ... Is that what your talking about ?  Cause I got video some place...

Kite Bag:  Solus ul, Solus std, Pro Dancer SUL, Widow Maker,Widow Maker UL, Ocius SUL, Vision,Vison 5 stack
Baby "Zoomer". Symphony 1.8 para foil...
B-13

« Reply #6 on: November 04, 2012, 12:06 PM »

A 540 has to finish with the kite going upward.  If not it's not a 540... 

TRUE!!!
If the trick is not completed then it's not the trick

Proud Member of Kitelife.com #943 Smiley
Ara Ararauna

« Reply #7 on: November 04, 2012, 01:42 PM »

Hi,

In my case it was indeed a two-way 540.

The kite starts correctly from a dive and an asymmetric flare (just as Prism's video explains)
Then, when I pulled the right line, the kite did start a 540 spin but since I did not provide sufficient slack the lines got tangled on the wing tip.
Nonetheless, the 540 spin was fully and correctly performed and finished.
However, when the kite should have exited upwards (as you say), since the lines were tangled on the tip of the wing, my pull made the kite start a 540 in the exact opposite direction.
So I gave slack to let it finish the new opposite 540.
By the time it finished the new 540, the lines had untangled from the wing tip.
Hence, when I pulled again for the kite to exit the trick, it did!
It exited by flying up.

So, at least in my case, the trick was indeed a +540-540 or, if you will, a 540 counter-clockwise & 540 clockwise, or a 540 right & 540 left.

N.
« Last Edit: November 04, 2012, 01:45 PM by Ara Ararauna » Logged

In my bag...
Duals: NoName (NoBrand), Nexus (Prism), Soul (Flying Wings), Talon UL (JoE), LeQuartz (own build), Illusion Classic (Prism), Aura SUL custom (Skyburner), Sixth Sense STD (Krijn)
Wayner

« Reply #8 on: November 04, 2012, 02:42 PM »

Hi,

In my case it was indeed a two-way 540.

The kite starts correctly from a dive and an asymmetric flare (just as Prism's video explains)
Then, when I pulled the right line, the kite did start a 540 spin but since I did not provide sufficient slack the lines got tangled on the wing tip.
Nonetheless, the 540 spin was fully and correctly performed and finished.
However, when the kite should have exited upwards (as you say), since the lines were tangled on the tip of the wing, my pull made the kite start a 540 in the exact opposite direction.
So I gave slack to let it finish the new opposite 540.
By the time it finished the new 540, the lines had untangled from the wing tip.
Hence, when I pulled again for the kite to exit the trick, it did!
It exited by flying up.

So, at least in my case, the trick was indeed a +540-540 or, if you will, a 540 counter-clockwise & 540 clockwise, or a 540 right & 540 left.

N.

Ara, your description is the same way mine were done.  It must be offical, we have an new trick  Cheesy

Just to restate, this is a normal 540 with a tip wrap. So, the normal taking up the lines to exit the trick results in an input at one of the leading edges through the tip wrap. The opposite rotation unwinds the tip wrap and you are ready to fly off.  Huh  Both rotations look great; slow, smooth and flat. Cool    Just wish I had planned it.  Embarrassed

Sad note; My inputs are getting better and reducing tip wraps, so my ability to preform this trick will soon be gone.  Cheesy
Wayner

« Reply #9 on: November 04, 2012, 03:02 PM »

If you were to do this trick without the tip wrap (but where is the fun in that)  Cheesy

You would do a 540 and then do an axel in the opposite direction.

Ara,
Your neat trick is a is a 540 rotation plus a 360 rotaton.
a 540 has one and a half turns, and starts with the nose and kite facing away from you
a 360 has one full rotation and starts with the kite and nose facing you

You start the 540 with the nose/kite is facing away, upon completing the 540, the nose is facing you. The opposite rotaton is one full rotaton where the nose/kite starts and stops while facing you. If you did a full 540 one the opposite rotation the kite would be in a flare, nose away (back were it started).

Doesn't change this neat trick just the specs as to what is happening.  Wink

Hope you catch it on video Grin
Ara Ararauna

« Reply #10 on: November 05, 2012, 12:39 AM »

If you were to do this trick without the tip wrap (but where is the fun in that)  Cheesy

You would do a 540 and then do an axel in the opposite direction.

Ara,
Your neat trick is a is a 540 rotation plus a 360 rotaton.
a 540 has one and a half turns, and starts with the nose and kite facing away from you
a 360 has one full rotation and starts with the kite and nose facing you

You start the 540 with the nose/kite is facing away, upon completing the 540, the nose is facing you. The opposite rotaton is one full rotaton where the nose/kite starts and stops while facing you. If you did a full 540 one the opposite rotation the kite would be in a flare, nose away (back were it started).

Doesn't change this neat trick just the specs as to what is happening.  Wink

Hope you catch it on video Grin

Oh dear... you are absolutely right!

I have been thinking about this. Since I was so shocked at what had occurred I think I based my description on the first impression I got without really stopping to think what really occurred.
Trying to recall how it all went, I do remember being careful to follow the full one and a half rotation. So I then remembered I didn't fly off upwards at the end. When I pulled the kite at the end it went down so I had to quickly correct to avoid crashing it against the floor.
So I guess I did do a +540-540 but the exit of the trick does need some sort of polishing... if I ever get to do that purposefully.   Wink

Now I'm not trying to be the inventor of any trick. I'm sure many of us have had such serendipitous accidents.  Sad
 Cheesy

N.

In my bag...
Wayner

« Reply #11 on: November 05, 2012, 05:26 PM »

Now I'm not trying to be the inventor of any trick. I'm sure many of us have had such serendipitous accidents.  Sad   Cheesy

N.

Most serendipitous accidents do not result is a combo trick as pretty as this one is.  Grin
vertigo2u

« Reply #12 on: November 06, 2012, 10:06 AM »

Put together a couple 540's and my first attempt at wing tip landings and "coin toss".  Then a broken up 540.  It may give some visual clarity in describing the +540 -540 concept.   Cheesy

+540

Kite Bag:  Solus ul, Solus std, Pro Dancer SUL, Widow Maker,Widow Maker UL, Ocius SUL, Vision,Vison 5 stack
Baby "Zoomer". Symphony 1.8 para foil...
Wayner

« Reply #13 on: November 06, 2012, 10:20 AM »

Now you need to start adding a tip wrap for the next input.   Cheesy
« Last Edit: November 06, 2012, 04:31 PM by Wayner » Logged
Hadge

« Reply #14 on: November 06, 2012, 11:35 AM »

I've almost perfected the 'Tipwrap Crashcade' does that count as a trick? I'm really good at that one!  Embarrassed

Age and cunning will always overcome youth and skill!

In the bag - HQ Shadow, Prism 4D, Flying Wings Soul Mid Vent, HQ Jive (1), Spiderkites Zodarion, 'Paw' modded HQ Maestro ll, HQ Delta Hawk.
Pages: [1] 2   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

kmacFab
kmacFab

Kite Classifieds Ad
Kite Classifieds

A Wind Of Change
A Wind Of Change

Untitled Document
Untitled Document

Kite Classifieds Ad
Fly Market

A Wind Of Change
skyshark

Kitebookie
Kitebookie.com

Untitled Document

Untitled Document
Untitled Document

Our forum is made possible by the good folks whose ads appear above and by the members of our community (PayPal donation button at bottom)
In case you missed it each ad is linked to the sponsors web site.  So please, take a moment and visit our sponsors sites as this forum wouldn't be possible with out them.
Interested in running an ad for your business or kiting event?  Contact Steve at advertise.gwtwkites@gmail.com for a quote.

Cal Custom

Support the GWTW Forum