GWTW Forum
September 22, 2014, 09:31 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Forum Info Login Register Chat  
Welcome to the GWTW Forum.
Guests (non-registered users) can view the forum but are unable to post.  If you don't have anything to say then why would you bother to register?
One of the most popular sections of the GWTW Forum has long been the Swap Meet.  A great place to sell old, seldom flown kites or to get great deals on used (gently flown) kites.  Only registered users can see the Swap Meet section, let alone wheel and deal.  1000's (literally) of kites have changed hands thanks to the Swap Meet.
There are several more benefits to being a registered user, but you'll have to join our little community to find out all the "secrets".
Questions or concerns? Contact Steve ... just drop an email to: forum.gwtwkites@gmail.com

Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: (vid) me learning to fly two kites at once  (Read 1561 times)
AntBTas
Trade Count: (0)

« on: November 03, 2012, 06:50 PM »

Just a quick vid of me learning how to MKF, my third session and possibly the first time I've been able to fly for any period of time with out crashing them into each other Smiley

I'm using two HQ Quickstep II's, 80 foot laser pro gold lines and short rev handles I kept from a recent kite that I sold.  Originally I started using the quickstep's cos they are the only kites I have two of (they belong to my kids  Grin) but I'm thinking they are actually really good for it.  They have a wide wind range, are cheap, tough, slow and quite small so not too much pull.

At the moment I'm just playing a bit of follow the leader, any line crossing or wrapping of the lines around each other tends to end with large crashes so I'll move into this shortly Smiley

ÁK

regards

Ant
« Last Edit: November 03, 2012, 06:52 PM by AntBTas » Logged
Ara Ararauna

« Reply #1 on: November 04, 2012, 01:02 AM »

Hey that's looking pretty good!
It's not like yu are robotically moving both kites anymore. You move one with one intensity then the other catches up, then they follow smoothly,...

Well done!

BTW, what's this place you are flying it! It looks great!
Wished I had a place like this...

N.

In my bag...
Duals: NoName (NoBrand), Nexus (Prism), Soul (Flying Wings), Talon UL (JoE), LeQuartz (own build), Illusion Classic (Prism), Aura SUL custom (Skyburner), Sixth Sense STD (Krijn)
Singles: Conyne STD (my design)
tcope
Trade Count: (+4)

« Reply #2 on: November 04, 2012, 09:01 AM »

If you are going to try this some more, you may want to fashion some handles out of PVC. Heat up a section just a little in the middle with a flame. You can then bend them equally and to your liking. You can also try longer and shorter ones to see what works best for you. Just drill a hole in the ends and thread some heavy line through.

Todd Copeland
Member of T.I.S.K.K
Memeber of Utah Kite Fliers
http://www.utahkitefliers.org
whitebirdlover
Trade Count: (+19)

« Reply #3 on: November 04, 2012, 06:47 PM »

If you are going to try this some more, you may want to fashion some handles out of PVC. Heat up a section just a little in the middle with a flame. You can then bend them equally and to your liking. You can also try longer and shorter ones to see what works best for you. Just drill a hole in the ends and thread some heavy line through.

What tubing size are you referencing for this?

Anthony
tcope

« Reply #4 on: November 04, 2012, 06:55 PM »

Whatever is most comfortable, usually 3/4" or 1".

Todd Copeland
Member of T.I.S.K.K
Memeber of Utah Kite Fliers
http://www.utahkitefliers.org
AntBTas

« Reply #5 on: November 05, 2012, 02:40 AM »

Thanks everyone, I'm flying at the Regatta grounds in Hobart Tasmania.  It is a really great spot, and our club uses it quite regularly.

Good idea with the PVC tcope, ta.  I'll have to try it out.  I wouldn't mind making some really nice handles out of some of the awesome wood we have down in tassie one day too, like Huon Pine or maybe something tougher like myrtle  Smiley
tonycarl60
Trade Count: (+7)

« Reply #6 on: November 05, 2012, 01:26 PM »

Looks like you're off to a great start Smiley I prefer the smaller kites for mkf, they allow me longer flying time without getting tired which means you get better quicker Smiley Keep practicing Smiley
« Last Edit: November 05, 2012, 01:28 PM by tonycarl60 » Logged
Ca Ike
Trade Count: (+24)

« Reply #7 on: November 05, 2012, 05:41 PM »

Save yourself some time and get a set of airbow handles from Tim Benson.  Rev handles work but since they are not symetrical it makes MKF harder to do. YOu can make your own out of just about anything but make them symetrical. 
Texanpilot
Trade Count: (+9)

« Reply #8 on: November 05, 2012, 08:37 PM »

For what it's worth, I found the Airbow handles too short for my tastes.

I liked the bigger throw of longer handles (tighter turns), so I made my own.

A big test of your MKF is when you're flying the kites on opposites sides of the window.  That's a mental exercise.
That, and doing a ground recovery of one kite while you try to keep the other flying.

(But then, I can't yet handle crossed lines without a crash).  Sad

Have fun!

Steady winds, y'all.
bt
Trade Count: (+8)

« Reply #9 on: November 05, 2012, 09:16 PM »

Again, fwiw I keep on coming back to the rev handles (with short...about 2" leader`s all around)....I`ve made different handles (wood and pvc), tried my deca and tc ultra handles but with the way I manipulate/position my fingers and wrists the angle and foam of the rev handles suits me best. There ya go...
Again I use the different sized rev handles depending on the kite size...2 Beetles; 2 Alpha +`s; and 2 Neptunes.
I also have one lineset a little shorter (or longer...whatever) than the other....keeps my hands more even in close quarter maneuvers as the kites don`t bump into each other and "parking" is real smooth.
Nice stuff btw!!!
bt
the*real*stoney

« Reply #10 on: November 05, 2012, 09:50 PM »

It's a real charge to know that there are some more fliers out there who are getting into  "double dual" flying. I was hooked by Ray Bethel and I never regretted the switch. It's interesting to read the different things some of you have applied to your efforts. Double dual flying gives you twice the excitement because there are so many things that you can explore. Hang in and you will never want to go back to just one. I'd like to get in on your progress and maybe we could swap some information.

Stoney   
AntBTas

« Reply #11 on: November 08, 2012, 02:50 AM »

Thanks everyone.  Interesting the different takes on handles, I had wondered about how the asymmetric nature of the rev handles would affect my flying,  it does seem ok at the moment though.  I've got small hands and hold the handles pretty much in the middle anyway, and it feel ok.  bt, good to know I'm not the only one!

I'll probably make a few handles out of pvc wood etc at some point, but that's more because I like tinkering and experimenting than from any real need for change Smiley
PAW
« Reply #12 on: November 08, 2012, 02:39 PM »

Respect...it is really hard when you start flying different stuff with each kite at the same time...my head is not up to this  Cry
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

items purchased through the links below help support the forum

Cal Custom

Our forum is made possible by the good folks whose ads appear below and by the members of our community (PayPal donation button at bottom)
In case you missed it each ad is linked to the sponsors web site.  So please, take a moment and visit our sponsors sites as this forum wouldn't be possible with out them.
Interested in running an ad for your business or kiting event?  Contact Steve at advertise.gwtwkites@gmail.com for a quote.

kmacFab
kmacFab

Kite Classifieds Ad
Kite Classifieds

A Wind Of Change
A Wind Of Change

Kitebookie
Kitebookie.com

Untitled Document

Untitled Document
Untitled Document

Untitled Document