GWTW Forum
July 29, 2014, 04:05 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Forum Info Login Register Chat  
Welcome to the GWTW Forum.
Guests (non-registered users) can view the forum but are unable to post.  If you don't have anything to say then why would you bother to register?
One of the most popular sections of the GWTW Forum has long been the Swap Meet.  A great place to sell old, seldom flown kites or to get great deals on used (gently flown) kites.  Only registered users can see the Swap Meet section, let alone wheel and deal.  1000's (literally) of kites have changed hands thanks to the Swap Meet.
There are several more benefits to being a registered user, but you'll have to join our little community to find out all the "secrets".
Questions or concerns? Contact Steve ... just drop an email to: forum.gwtwkites@gmail.com

Pages: [1] 2   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: UL's  (Read 3784 times)
Geoffrey Platt
Trade Count: (+9)

« on: May 29, 2009, 02:20 PM »

Hey everyone!

I'm thinking my next purchase is going to be for a good solid UL. I now have more Standards and SUL's then I can fly Smiley, but don't have any UL's in my bag of tricks! I'd like to pick up something second hand, that won't break the bank.  Somewhere in the $250 mark. I'd love to get a Talon, but the exchange has been a little too rich for my blood, presently a Talon UL goe's for about $344 USD. So I have not posted any thing in the Wanted area, probably where this post belongs, but would like to get some good recommendations. Presently the two kites that are out of my bag the most are my Deep Space and Nirvana Debray Edition (which is pretty close to a UL itself) . So any suggestions? Or kites offered? I also have never had or flown a BMK before, so I am very interested in those as well (I know, shame on me Smiley.

Geoffrey Platt
Orlando, FL
chilese
Global Moderator
Trade Count: (+5)

« Reply #1 on: May 29, 2009, 02:24 PM »

You almost answered your own question.

Get a BMK UL anything (probably the Exile). Choose your colors, pick your panel layout (there are 2).

Ken McNeill is the man.  Smiley

John Chilese: Las Vegas, NV
http://picasaweb.google.com/chilesej
Steve
Global Moderator
Trade Count: (+39)

« Reply #2 on: May 29, 2009, 02:28 PM »

John beat me to it ...
For $279 plus shipping you can get an Exile UL and kill two birds with one stone. $279 plus shipping.  That my friend is a deal!

Steve ... Ancient One
-look to the sky with imagination, grasp the wind with outstretched arms and take flight
Geoffrey Platt

« Reply #3 on: May 29, 2009, 02:32 PM »

On his website, he lists it for $299. Might have to put away a little more $$$.

Geoffrey Platt
Orlando, FL
kevspilly
Trade Count: (+2)

« Reply #4 on: May 29, 2009, 02:55 PM »

There is a QP Pro Sul for sale in the swap meet.

These are not to far of a Nirvana in flying style and are good for 1-6 MPh winds.
An under rated kite IMO, better than the Standard version.

Gamelord
Trade Count: (+2)

« Reply #5 on: May 29, 2009, 03:30 PM »

You could also hit Steve up for a Window Maker UL - cost around $299.00 and I am sure Steve would work you a "good guy" deal on one.

I love mine and many that have flown it also agree that it is awesome.

Francois
Trade Count: (+6)

« Reply #6 on: May 29, 2009, 03:57 PM »

Vendetta UL. No question!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Cool

The new Frank!
Geoffrey Platt

« Reply #7 on: May 29, 2009, 05:28 PM »

What is it Francois? The Vandetta or the Talon? I think you have mixed opinions  Huh

Geoffrey Platt
Orlando, FL
lylenc
Trade Count: (+1)

« Reply #8 on: May 29, 2009, 05:44 PM »

The Vendetta UL is more of a Light (half way between UL and Standard), in my opinion. I do like it a lot, but it flies "heavier" than most ULs in my bag.

Exile UL is still at the top of my list for my next kite, unless the new Deep Space UL is availabe when I'm ready to buy ... and at a price I can afford.

Craig     Walla Walla, WA     Just One More!
adx1592
Trade Count: (+31)

« Reply #9 on: May 29, 2009, 06:11 PM »

Get the Exile or the Muse from BMK.
The muse is a "Light"- but it flys like a UL to me. both are GREAT

-Devin Cobleigh-Morrison
tpatter
Trade Count: (+21)

« Reply #10 on: May 29, 2009, 10:12 PM »

Exile Standard flys in lower wind than most ULs.  The EUL gets down to what most call SUL.

Ken's estimates are very conservative (ie truthful regardless of your flying ability).  If you have some experience flying in low winds, you can easily take them down 1+mph lower than his ratings.

6 kite tom
Francois
Trade Count: (+6)

« Reply #11 on: May 30, 2009, 03:44 AM »

What is it Francois? The Vandetta or the Talon? I think you have mixed opinions  Huh

If you can't afford the Talon the  Vendetta is the best choice. The Talon is a trick machine and the V is an all around kite. (you need both actualy!!!)

The new Frank!
Gardner
Trade Count: (+5)

« Reply #12 on: May 30, 2009, 07:55 AM »

I'm going to recommend another BMK you might consider if you're looking for an all-around type kite -- the Mantis UL.  The UL model has the same charcteristics as the standard.  And low-wind preformance is excellent.

Gardner
ndcmpc
Trade Count: (+21)

« Reply #13 on: May 30, 2009, 05:14 PM »

Exile UL is great.  The standard Muse will fly lower than Ken's stated wind range.  If you call and ask, he could probabaly put a 3PT frame in the Muse as well and stay in the mid $200 range.

Good luck with your search.

Doug
Blue Moon Geek
61/49: The most fun you can have with only one line
asburyparkjohn
Trade Count: (+13)

« Reply #14 on: June 01, 2009, 10:07 AM »

For your price range the Exile-UL. But its a kite that takes some time to tune in towards your flying style with standoff adjustemnts and weight(s) - if desired. I recently tried the SD-LIGHT down at my beach ... in 5 mph winds ... WOW ... in terms of how solid it flew with all the tricks I threw add it ... I am recently ordering a Fearless-SUL ... people say its the ULTIMATE SUL ... why am I believing them ...  Wink Wink Wink.
« Last Edit: June 01, 2009, 10:13 AM by asburyparkjohn » Logged

In my bag of Dual Line Kites: Benson - Inner Space, Signature Kite of Top Pilots on an Old Style Gemini ; L'Atelier xt.z. ; Fearless-Tatto (SSUL), Fearless - SUL & Light , Transformer TL's: (SUL, Light, Vented Light), Transformer 2 SUL.
Pages: [1] 2   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

items purchased through the links below help support the forum

Our forum is made possible by the good folks whose ads appear below and by the members of our community (PayPal donation button at bottom)
In case you missed it each ad is linked to the sponsors web site.  So please, take a moment and visit our sponsors sites as this forum wouldn't be possible with out them.
Interested in running an ad for your business or kiting event?  Contact Steve at advertise.gwtwkites@gmail.com for a quote.

Kite Classifieds Ad
Kite Classifieds

A Wind Of Change
A Wind Of Change

Kitebookie
Kitebookie.com

Untitled Document

Untitled Document
Untitled Document

Untitled Document
Untitled Document

Untitled Document