GWTW Forum
September 03, 2014, 12:14 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Forum Info Login Register Chat  
Welcome to the GWTW Forum.
Guests (non-registered users) can view the forum but are unable to post.  If you don't have anything to say then why would you bother to register?
One of the most popular sections of the GWTW Forum has long been the Swap Meet.  A great place to sell old, seldom flown kites or to get great deals on used (gently flown) kites.  Only registered users can see the Swap Meet section, let alone wheel and deal.  1000's (literally) of kites have changed hands thanks to the Swap Meet.
There are several more benefits to being a registered user, but you'll have to join our little community to find out all the "secrets".
Questions or concerns? Contact Steve ... just drop an email to: forum.gwtwkites@gmail.com

Pages: 1 [2]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Help identify the source of these SLKs  (Read 3249 times)
trigger
Trade Count: (0)

« Reply #15 on: November 06, 2012, 03:57 PM »

I am not really a slk kinda guy... but i woke up this morning thinking about this little discovery/mystery of yours..... think i need to lay off the Bones/Castle/wharehouse 13 marathons!  Cry
Ara Ararauna

« Reply #16 on: November 07, 2012, 02:34 AM »

Wow those are truly gorgeous!  Huh

How do they make those red edges on the black sections?
It would be cool to know because it looks beautiful!  Tongue
Anyone expert in this technique?

Thanks.

N.

In my bag...
Duals: NoName (NoBrand), Nexus (Prism), Soul (Flying Wings), Talon UL (JoE), LeQuartz (own build), Illusion Classic (Prism), Aura SUL custom (Skyburner), Sixth Sense STD (Krijn)
Singles: Conyne STD (my design)
thief
Trade Count: (+25)

« Reply #17 on: November 07, 2012, 03:45 AM »

Wow those are truly gorgeous!  Huh

How do they make those red edges on the black sections?
It would be cool to know because it looks beautiful!  Tongue
Anyone expert in this technique?

Thanks.

N.
as skb said the red is the edging...if you look at the picture that Ben popped up of his you will see the edging is grosgrain ribbon....a heavier material than the nylon in the skin.....so you can get that contrast......looks sharp huh??? (Comes in soooooooo many sizes so using it as edging is very nice to get the width you like)

Kites kayaks & corgis again!!!
Ara Ararauna

« Reply #18 on: November 07, 2012, 05:03 AM »

OK! Great!

This also probably helps strengthen the curved edges so they don't loosen with time, right?
I should have done this with my Conyne.

Next version will incorporate this.  Grin

The only thing I wonder is how they call "grosgrain ribbon" here in Barcelona...  Roll Eyes

Thanks,

N.

(tweaked your image link to work - thief)
« Last Edit: November 07, 2012, 05:31 AM by thief » Logged

In my bag...
Duals: NoName (NoBrand), Nexus (Prism), Soul (Flying Wings), Talon UL (JoE), LeQuartz (own build), Illusion Classic (Prism), Aura SUL custom (Skyburner), Sixth Sense STD (Krijn)
Singles: Conyne STD (my design)
thief

« Reply #19 on: November 07, 2012, 05:35 AM »

yep, grosgrain ribbon is tough stuff...keep in mind that it can be pretty thick.....but it looks good in a nice design!
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Grosgrain

MtnFlyer
Trade Count: (+50)

« Reply #20 on: November 07, 2012, 07:02 AM »

To continue this hijack just one more post...   Roll Eyes

The closeup that Ben posted indeed looks like light webbing (aka grosgrain) used as the edge binding.

That's only one material, however, and typically used where you need a lot of support for the fabric, and the kite can support the extra weight. You can also use .75 oz or 1.5 oz ripstop, folded in half (for 2 layers) or double folded (for 4 layers) over the fabric edge, or simply double roll the edge of the sail itself to create a reinforced hem. They all do the same thing and are appropriate in different sail weights and wind ranges. For your DC (nice!), I'd suggest the ripstop edge binding as the typical treatment.

Now back to our regularly scheduled topic.

Bob
TBHinPhilly
Trade Count: (+1)

« Reply #21 on: November 13, 2012, 12:17 PM »

actually Ben that is not the same.....Steve's has a normal cody front half to it..yours has an X shape to the front half correct???

They are exactly the same.  Mine is a normal Cody front - you just cannot see the side panels in the picture as they are perfectly vertical to the camera frame of reference.   On its back...

As Bob noted, the heavier grosgrain is fine for a heavy kite like this (this one takes a lot of wind), but may be too heavy in other situations.  For a Conyne I would use a double fold hem or double fold ripstop edge binding.
« Last Edit: November 13, 2012, 12:19 PM by TBHinPhilly » Logged
thief

« Reply #22 on: November 13, 2012, 04:08 PM »

ahh..i see!!!!!! purty purty purty

Pages: 1 [2]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

items purchased through the links below help support the forum

Cal Custom

Our forum is made possible by the good folks whose ads appear below and by the members of our community (PayPal donation button at bottom)
In case you missed it each ad is linked to the sponsors web site.  So please, take a moment and visit our sponsors sites as this forum wouldn't be possible with out them.
Interested in running an ad for your business or kiting event?  Contact Steve at advertise.gwtwkites@gmail.com for a quote.

kmacFab
kmacFab

Kite Classifieds Ad
Kite Classifieds

A Wind Of Change
A Wind Of Change

Kitebookie
Kitebookie.com

Untitled Document

Untitled Document
Untitled Document

Untitled Document