GWTW Forum
October 31, 2014, 01:44 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Forum Info Login Register Chat  
Welcome to the GWTW Forum.
Guests (non-registered users) can view the forum but are unable to post.  If you don't have anything to say then why would you bother to register?
One of the most popular sections of the GWTW Forum has long been the Swap Meet.  A great place to sell old, seldom flown kites or to get great deals on used (gently flown) kites.  Only registered users can see the Swap Meet section, let alone wheel and deal.  1000's (literally) of kites have changed hands thanks to the Swap Meet.
There are several more benefits to being a registered user, but you'll have to join our little community to find out all the "secrets".
Questions or concerns? Contact Steve ... just drop an email to: forum.gwtwkites@gmail.com

Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Picky with colorizers...  (Read 1291 times)
Ara Ararauna
Trade Count: (0)

« on: November 07, 2012, 02:24 PM »

Hi,

On trying to use colorizers I always have a double issue:

1. Those awful black lines that divide the different pieces of the layout. I really have difficulties to imagine what the layout would look like without those obstrussive lines... Do you have the same issue? I sometimes have the patience of capturing the resulting image, going to photoshop and manually deleting or coloring those artificial borders. But it is a pain in the *#%... Couldn't colorisers save us from those lines? Make them invisible? We are not designing stainedglass windows for baroque cathedrals!   Wink

2. Being even more picky, couldn't we all have a resource of really good pictures of the different types and colors of sail materials? Perhaps even at different distances...? Then these could be used to fill in those areas in the colorisers and we would have a much closer notion of what the kites will finally look like. If each of us send here a link of a picture of a clean close up of those materials we have at hand then coloriser developers could use them...

Anyone else as picky as me?  Wink

N.

In my bag...
Duals: NoName (NoBrand), Nexus (Prism), Soul (Flying Wings), Talon UL (JoE), LeQuartz (own build), Illusion Classic (Prism), Aura SUL custom (Skyburner), Sixth Sense STD (Krijn)
Singles: Conyne STD (my design)
chilese
Global Moderator
Trade Count: (+5)

« Reply #1 on: November 07, 2012, 03:25 PM »

Color matching from a monitor or even a hard copy print is NEVER

going to match what a fabric looks like. There are just too many variables.

Color calibration is just impossible for the casual user to standardize.

What monitor are you using?
What is the white point temperature the user prefers?
Are you in a room that has additional lighting, and if so what type?

Magazine printers have to know such things as

paper to be printed on
lighting the typical reader will have
how old is the ink
what colors are being printed

the list can go on and on.

You can be picky, but even the manufacturers have slight color shifts

from batch to batch.

And then there are factors like

time of day
backlit or frontlit
cloudy or sunny

Good luck! It is a daunting task.

John Chilese: Las Vegas, NV
http://picasaweb.google.com/chilesej
Ara Ararauna

« Reply #2 on: November 07, 2012, 11:43 PM »

Oh absolutely Chilese.
I'm a computer scientist that has been working around computer graphics for the last 22 years and I know about displays, color issues, perception, cognition, etc.

However, you cannot deny the fact that the problem is already there with the current colorizer systems, in which people nonetheless try to make the colors as "approximate" as they can to the final, right?  Smiley
So doing this from actual material pictures would bring us one step closer to the final, acknowledging all possible limitations.
But one interesting things is that it would not be only a matter of color, the texture is often even more important than color.
Therefore, this would be a plus.  Wink

Now, the first and foremost issue on which to focus, from my point of view (this is why I put it in #1), is the issue of the obtrusive black division lines.
IMO I think this is really a must...
Cheers!
 Smiley

N.

In my bag...
Duals: NoName (NoBrand), Nexus (Prism), Soul (Flying Wings), Talon UL (JoE), LeQuartz (own build), Illusion Classic (Prism), Aura SUL custom (Skyburner), Sixth Sense STD (Krijn)
thief
Board Moderator
Trade Count: (+25)

« Reply #3 on: November 08, 2012, 04:06 AM »

Oh...personally I love the pin striping!!!!!

Kites kayaks & corgis again!!!
Ara Ararauna

« Reply #4 on: November 08, 2012, 04:27 AM »

Right... I was afraid someone would say that  Roll Eyes
but I didn't want to enter the topic before.  Wink

Yes pin striping is great <sometimes>.
But most of the kites do not use pin striping...
... and I think it is not the best option to force people into using pin striping as a default when trying to figure out a new layout for their new kite.

Moreover, the way it works is that you are forced to have black pin striping. What about other options?

And in any case, this could be another option of the coloriser: no pin striping or choose a pin striping colour.   Wink

Cheers.

In my bag...
chilese
Global Moderator
Trade Count: (+5)

« Reply #5 on: November 08, 2012, 10:48 AM »

You could always make your own version of what the kite would look like to see if

the colors go together.

This picture started with the colorizer and then I worked on it:

Later, the actual kite was given to me as a gift by several members of the Forum (humble emoticon needed)

This non-existent WM started out as a different WM (someday it may exist):

« Last Edit: November 08, 2012, 10:56 AM by chilese » Logged

John Chilese: Las Vegas, NV
http://picasaweb.google.com/chilesej
Wayner
Trade Count: (+17)

« Reply #6 on: November 08, 2012, 12:46 PM »

John,

Wow. Very well done. Keep that up and you will force me into buying another WM  Cheesy
Ara Ararauna

« Reply #7 on: November 08, 2012, 02:12 PM »

You could always make your own version of what the kite would look like to see if

the colors go together.

This picture started with the colorizer and then I worked on it

Beautiful Chilese. Well done!
 But that takes hours of hard photoshop work.
I tried something similar with my Talon UL
http://www.gwtwforum.com/index.php?topic=7308.msg64775#msg64775
and it was hard work.

BTW the Talon colorizer doesn't have the "pin striping" lines!
So why do most others do?

Anyway, your Mamba is beautiful  Huh

In my bag...
Ca Ike
Trade Count: (+24)

« Reply #8 on: November 08, 2012, 05:50 PM »

All colorizers have the lines but its how it's programmed that makes the difference.  If you notice some colorizers have thinner lines for the outline and that alone makes them kind of disappear when you fill in the panels.  IMO stop complaining and just be glad you have a colorizer to use at all.  My first prism custom back in the early days was done on a hope it would look good.  All I had then was a list of colors and a panel diagram and an idea in my head. No sample colors either, just names. 

What your talking about is a photoshop grade program and that gets expensive.  IF you really want that much detail in a colorizer, build one and offer it to kite makers for free so they don't have to increase the prices of their kites Tongue
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

items purchased through the links below help support the forum

Cal Custom

Our forum is made possible by the good folks whose ads appear below and by the members of our community (PayPal donation button at bottom)
In case you missed it each ad is linked to the sponsors web site.  So please, take a moment and visit our sponsors sites as this forum wouldn't be possible with out them.
Interested in running an ad for your business or kiting event?  Contact Steve at advertise.gwtwkites@gmail.com for a quote.

kmacFab
kmacFab

Kite Classifieds Ad
Kite Classifieds

A Wind Of Change
A Wind Of Change

Kitebookie
Kitebookie.com

Untitled Document

Untitled Document
Untitled Document

A Wind Of Change