GWTW Forum
September 30, 2014, 07:00 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Forum Info Login Register Chat  
Welcome to the GWTW Forum.
Guests (non-registered users) can view the forum but are unable to post.  If you don't have anything to say then why would you bother to register?
One of the most popular sections of the GWTW Forum has long been the Swap Meet.  A great place to sell old, seldom flown kites or to get great deals on used (gently flown) kites.  Only registered users can see the Swap Meet section, let alone wheel and deal.  1000's (literally) of kites have changed hands thanks to the Swap Meet.
There are several more benefits to being a registered user, but you'll have to join our little community to find out all the "secrets".
Questions or concerns? Contact Steve ... just drop an email to: forum.gwtwkites@gmail.com

Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Taz machine  (Read 1110 times)
rudyy
Trade Count: (+14)

« on: November 07, 2012, 02:57 PM »

Flying from left to right, do a half axel by popping the upper wing.  As soon as the nose is pointing away, tug with the right hand to initiate the 540.  However, the kite can only spin 180 though I have a couple of times making it spin 540.  What have I done wrong? 
obijuankenobe
Trade Count: (+1)

« Reply #1 on: November 07, 2012, 03:03 PM »

If it does an occasional 540, isn't that a taz machine.  Do it like that.

You need to give more slack than for a half axel to get that nose high.  Turning down just before starting the half axel entry part helps to tilt the kite for the rotation.

On most kites, this is an advanced trick.

obi

"When once you have tasted flight, you will forever walk the earth with your eyes turned skyward, for there you have been, and there you will always long to return." L daVinci
tpatter
Trade Count: (+21)

« Reply #2 on: November 07, 2012, 03:06 PM »

Wait until the nose is not only away, but also higher than the tail.  The timing varies per kite which is what makes the trick extra challenging.

I think that it us easier to do them from a cascade initially in order to train yourself to see the right moment to go for the rotation.

On most kites you will also need to slack initially with the off hand and then step forward in order to allow it to rotate.  

6 kite tom
rudyy

« Reply #3 on: November 07, 2012, 03:12 PM »

How to make the nose always higher than the tail?  .. flying from left to right with the nose slightly pointing downward?

tpatter

« Reply #4 on: November 07, 2012, 03:28 PM »

Some kites pop nose up right away, others you have to wait a bit.  What do you fly?

6 kite tom
rudyy

« Reply #5 on: November 07, 2012, 03:35 PM »

Fearless
tpatter

« Reply #6 on: November 07, 2012, 04:51 PM »

Fearless is easy - it does nice flat slow ones.  For that kite, don't go too early - wait until the tail is down and its very reliable.    Move forward for the rotation - it does them nice and slow so you need some slack for it to go all that way around.

Also, start high in the window in the beginning, its just easier.  The SUL is where I like them best - it's a bit more floaty and makes it easier.
« Last Edit: November 07, 2012, 04:58 PM by tpatter » Logged

6 kite tom
rudyy

« Reply #7 on: November 07, 2012, 05:31 PM »

OK.  I will try again tomorrow.
Kareloh
Trade Count: (+2)

« Reply #8 on: November 08, 2012, 01:32 AM »

IMHO it's also in the timing of giving slack. You need to give slack right after the pop. If timed too late, the rotation is already slowed down so it won't make the full rotation. The step forward always helps me.
justinpwheeler
Trade Count: (+7)

« Reply #9 on: November 08, 2012, 04:18 AM »

Fearless is easy - it does nice flat slow ones.  For that kite, don't go too early - wait until the tail is down and its very reliable.    Move forward for the rotation - it does them nice and slow so you need some slack for it to go all that way around.

Also, start high in the window in the beginning, its just easier.  The SUL is where I like them best - it's a bit more floaty and makes it easier.

My F-SUL and Transformer SUL taz better for me.  I still have a hard time with the VL as when I do the half axel input the nose goes so high up that when I give the spin input the kite spins with the wings down.  Hard to describe- need video.  I find that if I do give slack with the second input hand and pop as the slack is naturally taken up I get better rotations.  Kind of a weird explanation. 
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

items purchased through the links below help support the forum

Cal Custom

Our forum is made possible by the good folks whose ads appear below and by the members of our community (PayPal donation button at bottom)
In case you missed it each ad is linked to the sponsors web site.  So please, take a moment and visit our sponsors sites as this forum wouldn't be possible with out them.
Interested in running an ad for your business or kiting event?  Contact Steve at advertise.gwtwkites@gmail.com for a quote.

kmacFab
kmacFab

Kite Classifieds Ad
Kite Classifieds

A Wind Of Change
A Wind Of Change

Kitebookie
Kitebookie.com

Untitled Document

Untitled Document
Untitled Document

Untitled Document