GWTW Forum
August 01, 2014, 09:40 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Forum Info Login Register Chat  
Welcome to the GWTW Forum.
Guests (non-registered users) can view the forum but are unable to post.  If you don't have anything to say then why would you bother to register?
One of the most popular sections of the GWTW Forum has long been the Swap Meet.  A great place to sell old, seldom flown kites or to get great deals on used (gently flown) kites.  Only registered users can see the Swap Meet section, let alone wheel and deal.  1000's (literally) of kites have changed hands thanks to the Swap Meet.
There are several more benefits to being a registered user, but you'll have to join our little community to find out all the "secrets".
Questions or concerns? Contact Steve ... just drop an email to: forum.gwtwkites@gmail.com

Pages: [1] 2   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Elixir vs. Illusion vs. Vapor  (Read 4479 times)
Ara Ararauna
Trade Count: (0)

« on: November 12, 2012, 05:34 AM »

Hi, (I searched this web site for this and found no previous talks)

I am thinking of getting an "old school" Prism kite as my next kite.

I like a lot the Elixir (Spectrum specifically) http://img339.imageshack.us/img339/2687/362127020544b575983.jpg
the Illusion, like this one: http://www.kareloh.com/wordpress/wp-content/uploads/2011/06/illusion.jpg
and the Vapor, like this one: http://www.windpowersports.com/images/kites/prism/vapor/vapor.png or this one http://i180.photobucket.com/albums/x13/jediturtle/kites/DSC_2250.jpg

So, my question is, although they are "old school" which one is the more apt tricker (flat spins especially)

I thought I had a clear choice towards the Elixir, but I also like the other a lot so I need something to help me choose for this next "investment"  Wink

Thanks.

In my bag...
Duals: NoName (NoBrand), Nexus (Prism), Soul (Flying Wings), Talon UL (JoE), LeQuartz (own build), Illusion Classic (Prism), Aura SUL custom (Skyburner), Sixth Sense STD (Krijn)
Singles: Conyne STD (my design)
thief
Board Moderator
Trade Count: (+25)

« Reply #1 on: November 12, 2012, 06:13 AM »

Vapor...if you can find one is a super duper ultra light wind kite.....worth the money if you find one....master of flat spins....
Elixir and Illys are more normal wind ranges kites......and slightly more prevalent in the used kite world....
r

Kites kayaks & corgis again!!!
Ara Ararauna

« Reply #2 on: November 12, 2012, 07:05 AM »

Thanks Thief.

Oops, I had missed the fact that Vapor is so SUL...  Embarrassed   (I should have guessed by the name...)  Roll Eyes
I was not planing on buying an SUL but now that I come to think of it, I already have an STD and a UL so it would indeed complete the collection...

Hmmm... yes, perhaps...

In any case, I'm still open to more opinions.

Thanks!

In my bag...
Duals: NoName (NoBrand), Nexus (Prism), Soul (Flying Wings), Talon UL (JoE), LeQuartz (own build), Illusion Classic (Prism), Aura SUL custom (Skyburner), Sixth Sense STD (Krijn)
Kareloh
Trade Count: (+2)

« Reply #3 on: November 12, 2012, 07:11 AM »

Ha, that's my Illusion. Love that kite. Great sideslides!
You might consider getting an Eclipse if you can find one. Still very oldschool (designed years before the Illusion) but also capable of a lot of newer school tricks. Certainly a lot more then the Illusion.

John Welden

« Reply #4 on: November 12, 2012, 08:12 AM »

For standard wind kites, the Illusion would be the best flat spin kite on your list, but it's not all that great compared to other kites that were made around the same time. The Trick Tail is probably king of flat spins.

If you want to stick with Prism, the Prophecy is quite nice for flat spins and easier to fly than the Illusion.
Svolazzo
Trade Count: (+20)

« Reply #5 on: November 12, 2012, 08:50 AM »

Hi Ara, what I can say is that Vapor is a super old school SUL, very hard to find and however pricey if you are so lucky to find one. It flies almost in no wind even if flags are still and it flies beautifully with rare elegance: flat spins, axels, 540s, pinwheels, side slide, fades are so gorgeous to see. No yoyo based tricks. In my opinion it's a world apart among kites to fly gently, slowly, with no hurry.
Illusion is a great kite, you can do a lot of tricks but still no yoyo based ones. Great flat spins, side slides and also  Jacob's ladder.
Elixir is the more modern among the 3 you mentioned, higher aspect ratio, close to nowadays designs but stil great in all flat spins, fades, and side slide, but also capable in yoyo based tricks even if doesn't feature yoyo stoppers, but you can however add them remebering to cover upper APA to allow lines sliding  Wink
It can easily yoyo even if it doesn't have any tail weight.
Hope this helps, and if you want an Elixir.....you know where to grab one  Wink

Paolo

« Last Edit: November 13, 2012, 01:50 AM by Svolazzo » Logged
Hadge

« Reply #6 on: November 12, 2012, 12:07 PM »

There was a Vapor on the FA forum the other week....for about 30 minutes!...now has a very happy new owner -not me  Sad ... very nice kite. Tongue

There is an Air Dynamics Darkstar on UK Ebay if anyone is interested.

Age and cunning will always overcome youth and skill!

In the bag - HQ Shadow, Prism 4D, Flying Wings Soul Mid Vent, HQ Jive (1), Spiderkites Zodarion, 'Paw' modded HQ Maestro ll, HQ Delta Hawk.
Kareloh

« Reply #7 on: November 15, 2012, 03:37 AM »

Do you have the specs of that turbo bridle, SKB?
Svolazzo
Trade Count: (+20)

« Reply #8 on: November 15, 2012, 09:00 AM »

Do you have the specs of that turbo bridle, SKB?

Just found this http://www.findfreegraphics.com/image-62/eclipse+turbo.htm
I don't know if those measures are the Prism's official ones, maybe someone else could say.

Paolo
zippy8
Trade Count: (+13)

« Reply #9 on: November 15, 2012, 09:29 AM »

There is an Air Dynamics Darkstar on UK Ebay if anyone is interested.
Judging by the pic. and original price that's not the original, Breeze-framed, multi-kite indoor record DarkStar but the look-a-like outdoor standard version. Oh and the seller seems to think it's fibreglass framed Roll Eyes

Mike.

Virtual Freestyle - ǝlʎʇsǝǝɹɟ lɐnʇɹıʌ
chilese
Global Moderator
Trade Count: (+5)

« Reply #10 on: November 15, 2012, 10:24 AM »

That cloudy day is a perfect backdrop for the water

reflected Eclipse. Long time fav pic of mine.

Nicely done skb™.

John Chilese: Las Vegas, NV
http://picasaweb.google.com/chilesej
Kareloh

« Reply #11 on: November 15, 2012, 12:17 PM »

thanks a bunch!

my sul (teal) still has the bridle with the inhauls attached at the tail.
JimB
Global Moderator
Trade Count: (+6)

« Reply #12 on: November 15, 2012, 12:22 PM »

Ah, Weegee.. local hero.. Wink

A friend of mine made his hobby to be somewhat Weegee-like.

He ended up retiring on the proceeds.

Smiley
jediturtle
Trade Count: (+1)

« Reply #13 on: November 21, 2012, 10:54 AM »

Hi, (I searched this web site for this and found no previous talks)

I am thinking of getting an "old school" Prism kite as my next kite.

I like a lot the Elixir (Spectrum specifically) http://img339.imageshack.us/img339/2687/362127020544b575983.jpg
the Illusion, like this one: http://www.kareloh.com/wordpress/wp-content/uploads/2011/06/illusion.jpg
and the Vapor, like this one: http://www.windpowersports.com/images/kites/prism/vapor/vapor.png or this one http://i180.photobucket.com/albums/x13/jediturtle/kites/DSC_2250.jpg

So, my question is, although they are "old school" which one is the more apt tricker (flat spins especially)

I thought I had a clear choice towards the Elixir, but I also like the other a lot so I need something to help me choose for this next "investment"  Wink

Thanks.

The second Vapor is mine!  Smiley  Small world!  Amazing and beautiful kite.  Best of luck in your search.  It would take an awful lot to get me to part with mine!
Ara Ararauna

« Reply #14 on: November 21, 2012, 02:11 PM »

Wink

For the time being I haven't seen any kites through the vapor... I mean fog...  Cry

In my bag...
Pages: [1] 2   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

items purchased through the links below help support the forum

Our forum is made possible by the good folks whose ads appear below and by the members of our community (PayPal donation button at bottom)
In case you missed it each ad is linked to the sponsors web site.  So please, take a moment and visit our sponsors sites as this forum wouldn't be possible with out them.
Interested in running an ad for your business or kiting event?  Contact Steve at advertise.gwtwkites@gmail.com for a quote.

Kite Classifieds Ad
Kite Classifieds

A Wind Of Change
A Wind Of Change

Kitebookie
Kitebookie.com

Untitled Document

Untitled Document
Untitled Document

Untitled Document
Untitled Document

Untitled Document