GWTW Forum
April 19, 2014, 11:40 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Forum Info Login Register Chat  
Welcome to the GWTW Forum.
Guests (non-registered users) can view the forum but are unable to post.  If you don't have anything to say then why would you bother to register?
One of the most popular sections of the GWTW Forum has long been the Swap Meet.  A great place to sell old, seldom flown kites or to get great deals on used (gently flown) kites.  Only registered users can see the Swap Meet section, let alone wheel and deal.  1000's (literally) of kites have changed hands thanks to the Swap Meet.
There are several more benefits to being a registered user, but you'll have to join our little community to find out all the "secrets".
Questions or concerns?  forum.gwtwkites@gmail.com

Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: 540... Yes! On my TalonUL  (Read 1372 times)
Ara Ararauna
Trade Count: (0)

« on: November 12, 2012, 09:51 AM »

Here's a video that proves I am starting to do 540's. Yes!  Cheesy

The first one is a bit blurry and from really far away (sorry).  Embarrassed
The second and third are much better shot and can be clearly seen.

The exit is still not very nice, although I have already done some that come out much nicer but not in the video (I know, that's what all fishermen say...)

(Remember better if you choose HD and full screen)
TalonUL 540 Practice x3

The flying conditions, low (quite low, around 4-5Km/h and sometimes 0Km/h). So at some moments I had to row quite a bit to get my TalonUL up there.

I must say I have managed to get the 540's on my TalonUL, but not yet on my Soul  Sad
I can't seem to get my Soul to flare well enough and still have the possibility of giving further slack to allow the rotation without line tangling...
The Soul really asks for a lot of slack in flares and fades and I don't have sufficient arms trajectory and forward stepping capacity...  Roll Eyes  Sad

Will keep trying though.

In my bag...
Duals: NoName (NoBrand), Nexus (Prism), Soul (Flying Wings), Talon UL (JoE), LeQuartz (own build), Illusion Classic (Prism), Aura SUL custom (Skyburner), Sixth Sense STD (Krijn)
Singles: Conyne STD (my design)
fidelio
Trade Count: (+7)

« Reply #1 on: November 12, 2012, 10:21 AM »

Well done friend, keep going.

Fdeli
Hadge

« Reply #2 on: November 12, 2012, 01:50 PM »

You've just about got it Ara! try taking a step or two forward as you make the pop for the rotation to keep the nose a little flatter.

Age and cunning will always overcome youth and skill!

In the bag - HQ Shadow, Prism 4D, Flying Wings Soul Mid Vent, HQ Jive (1), Spiderkites Zodarion, 'Paw' modded HQ Maestro ll, HQ Delta Hawk.
Wayner
Trade Count: (+11)

« Reply #3 on: November 12, 2012, 03:17 PM »

Here's a video that proves I am starting to do 540's. Yes!  Cheesy

Grin   Grin
I must say I have managed to get the 540's on my TalonUL, but not yet on my Soul  Sad
I can't seem to get my Soul to flare well enough and still have the possibility of giving further slack to allow the rotation without line tangling...
The Soul really asks for a lot of slack in flares and fades and I don't have sufficient arms trajectory and forward stepping capacity...  Roll Eyes  Sad

Just a little feedback.

Your 540 input is a long pull not a quick pop.  Roll Eyes  I know because I do the same thing.  Sad

The long pull creates two problems. Again, don't ask me how I know.  Cheesy

- Pulls the kite toward you, creating tip wraps as you can not move forward as fast at your arm pull.

- This is also why the kite starts its rotation (snaps around) quickly then slows to a normal rotatation speed.

A little more practice using small pops and your 540 rotation will perfect all the way through, with no tip wraps.  Cool

keep the videos comming.  Wink
rudyy
Trade Count: (+12)

« Reply #4 on: November 12, 2012, 06:25 PM »

If you can pancake the kite unevenly, you will have a much higher chance of completing the 540.
Fearless Object
Trade Count: (+1)

« Reply #5 on: November 12, 2012, 07:52 PM »

Rudy is a Master of 540 Smiley
Ara Ararauna

« Reply #6 on: November 13, 2012, 12:14 AM »

You've just about got it Ara! try taking a step or two forward as you make the pop for the rotation to keep the nose a little flatter.

Hi, but when I do the pop I have already taken the steps forward and am leaning forward as explained here:
540 (Prism kite tricks DVD sample)

So once I'm in that position I cannot step further...   Sad

In my bag...
Duals: NoName (NoBrand), Nexus (Prism), Soul (Flying Wings), Talon UL (JoE), LeQuartz (own build), Illusion Classic (Prism), Aura SUL custom (Skyburner), Sixth Sense STD (Krijn)
Ara Ararauna

« Reply #7 on: November 13, 2012, 12:18 AM »

Just a little feedback.

Your 540 input is a long pull not a quick pop.  Roll Eyes  I know because I do the same thing.  Sad

The long pull creates two problems. Again, don't ask me how I know.  Cheesy

- Pulls the kite toward you, creating tip wraps as you can not move forward as fast at your arm pull.

- This is also why the kite starts its rotation (snaps around) quickly then slows to a normal rotatation speed.

A little more practice using small pops and your 540 rotation will perfect all the way through, with no tip wraps.  Cool

OK, yes, I see. I must do the pop as in the Prism video: just the wrist, right?
I think I can make it with the TalonUL.
However, I think my long pull comes from also trying it with the Soul.
I feel the Soul needs much, MUCH stronger inputs and my wrist pop just does not seem sufficiently strong...

Any suggestions there?

In my bag...
Ara Ararauna

« Reply #8 on: November 13, 2012, 12:26 AM »

If you can pancake the kite unevenly, you will have a much higher chance of completing the 540.

Thanks Rudy.
But, by unevenly you mean have one wing tip (the one I'm going to pull) closer to me than the other, or have the kite not completely horizontal but a little tilted one way?

If the first, I do try it but it seems like I don't fully achieve it. I do throw my left hand really hard forward  (I'm right-handed), while I let my right only get as far as my waist... or at least I try to...

If the second, I then don't see how the turn can be flatter if the kite starts tilted...

If you can give me more tips I'll be grateful.
Thanks!

In my bag...
Hadge

« Reply #9 on: November 13, 2012, 01:19 AM »

Hi, but when I do the pop I have already taken the steps forward and am leaning forward as explained here:
540 (Prism kite tricks DVD sample)

So once I'm in that position I cannot step further...   Sad

On the Prism video Mark Reed does seem to end up in a rather exaggerated position.  I much prefer Randy G's 540 tutorial:

http://v2.1.kiteclique.com/wordpress-3.0/wordpress/tutorials/randygs

He is much more relaxed, if you watch around 2:00 you'll see he is still moving forward after the pop.

The 540 is a hard trick to learn on your own, it took me ages and then one day it just 'clicked'.  The trick is to make the whole thing one smooth fluid movement. 

Start with both hand behind you, bring both smoothly forward then let your left hand carry on forward, briefly stop your right hand at your waist,( that will make the flare uneven) then pop for the rotation and let the right hand carry on forward while taking a step or two forward.  After the rotation bring both hands back together to recover.

The Soul will do nice 540's but being a bigger kite the imput is a bit bigger.. One of my favourites is to dive straight down and then pull a 540 a few feet off the ground.

Keep at it! you are soooo close now. Wink

Also check out Martin Madsen (DPmama74) 540 studies - the master of minimal movement.

540 Studies
« Last Edit: November 13, 2012, 02:55 AM by Hadge » Logged

Age and cunning will always overcome youth and skill!

In the bag - HQ Shadow, Prism 4D, Flying Wings Soul Mid Vent, HQ Jive (1), Spiderkites Zodarion, 'Paw' modded HQ Maestro ll, HQ Delta Hawk.
Ara Ararauna

« Reply #10 on: November 13, 2012, 02:07 AM »

Keep at it! you are soooo close now. Wink

OK! I will try.  Smiley

Also check out Martin Madsen (DPmama74) 540 studies - the master of minimal movement.

You bet! I really wonder whether hes is not using special effects...!   Shocked

In my bag...
rudyy

« Reply #11 on: November 14, 2012, 05:52 AM »

Thanks Rudy.
But, by unevenly you mean have one wing tip (the one I'm going to pull) closer to me than the other, or have the kite not completely horizontal but a little tilted one way?

If the first, I do try it but it seems like I don't fully achieve it. I do throw my left hand really hard forward  (I'm right-handed), while I let my right only get as far as my waist... or at least I try to...

If the second, I then don't see how the turn can be flatter if the kite starts tilted...

If you can give me more tips I'll be grateful.
Thanks!

There are two ways to accomplish the uneven pancake and I do both together.  Assuming your right hand is the popping hand

1) instead of flying completely vertically downward, you fly slightly diagonally downward to the left.  This will automatically set the kite to have an uneven pancake.  The more diagonal the kite is flying to the left, the more uneven the pancake will be which means the easier to get the 540.  Having said that, it will look less appealing and like you said, the rotation is not flattering, but still it is a 540.  Smiley  So experiment with it and find a sweet spot.

2) when you pancake the kite, you fully extend your left arm to the very front while partially extend your right arm to about your waist position from very behind.

The moment you do the right pop, remember step your left foot forward.  You do not need to do the same way as Mark did.  He is too exaggerated.  All you need is just a gentle step forward.

More tips:

1) try doing the 540 in low wind which is a lot easier than in high wind.  In higher wind, you will need to do the way that Mark Reed did in order to generate tons of slack.

2) as others has pointed out, it is a pop, not a pull.

Rudy
« Last Edit: November 14, 2012, 06:30 AM by rudyy » Logged
rudyy

« Reply #12 on: November 14, 2012, 05:59 AM »

Rudy is a Master of 540 Smiley

Thanks Lam.  My favorite maneuver is axel to fade to 540.  It is a truly flat spin, and I can do it 10 out of 10.  I am still struggling with the Taz Machine though.  Sad
« Last Edit: November 14, 2012, 06:28 AM by rudyy » Logged
Ara Ararauna

« Reply #13 on: November 14, 2012, 07:26 AM »

There are two ways to accomplish the uneven pancake and I do both together.  Assuming your right hand is the popping hand

1) instead of flying completely vertically downward, you fly slightly diagonally downward to the left.  This will automatically set the kite to have an uneven pancake.  The more diagonal the kite is flying to the left, the more uneven the pancake will be which means the easier to get the 540.  Having said that, it will look less appealing and like you said, the rotation is not flattering, but still it is a 540.  Smiley  So experiment with it and find a sweet spot.

2) when you pancake the kite, you fully extend your left arm to the very front while partially extend your right arm to about your waist position from very behind.

The moment you do the right pop, remember step your left foot forward.  You do not need to do the same way as Mark did.  He is too exaggerated.  All you need is just a gentle step forward.

More tips:

1) try doing the 540 in low wind which is a lot easier than in high wind.  In higher wind, you will need to do the way that Mark Reed did in order to generate tons of slack.

2) as others has pointed out, it is a pop, not a pull.

Rudy

OK great! Thanks, I'll try it next time out in the field.

N.

In my bag...
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

items purchased through the links below help support the forum

Our forum is made possible by the good folks whose ads appear in the right margin of the forum and by the members of our community (PayPal donation button at bottom of the page)
In case you missed it each ad is linked to the sponsors web site.  So please, take a moment and visit our sponsors sites as this forum wouldn't be possible with out them. >>>
Interested in running an ad for your business or kiting event?  Contact Steve at advertise.gwtwkites@gmail.com for a quote.

member support is greatly appreciated!

Cal Custom
kitekids.net

Untitled Document
J Hall Photography