GWTW Forum
September 21, 2014, 07:15 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Forum Info Login Register Chat  
Welcome to the GWTW Forum.
Guests (non-registered users) can view the forum but are unable to post.  If you don't have anything to say then why would you bother to register?
One of the most popular sections of the GWTW Forum has long been the Swap Meet.  A great place to sell old, seldom flown kites or to get great deals on used (gently flown) kites.  Only registered users can see the Swap Meet section, let alone wheel and deal.  1000's (literally) of kites have changed hands thanks to the Swap Meet.
There are several more benefits to being a registered user, but you'll have to join our little community to find out all the "secrets".
Questions or concerns? Contact Steve ... just drop an email to: forum.gwtwkites@gmail.com

Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Eddy and Penta kite gliders  (Read 3457 times)
Boris
Trade Count: (0)

« on: February 02, 2012, 06:39 AM »

Hi All,
Let me present to you two my kite gliders.

Eddy kite glider:
Eddy Kite Glider indoor flight

Penta kite glider:
Penta Kite Glider on tennis court

Both designs are based on diamond and fighter kites designs with some size ratios, weights and brides variations.

« Last Edit: February 02, 2012, 06:48 AM by Boris » Logged

mikenchico
Board Moderator

« Reply #1 on: February 02, 2012, 07:27 AM »

Nice Boris, what are you building them out of?

I really like that that inflatable indoor kite gym you've got there too, how long does it take to set up?   Wink   Grin

"Living is easy with eyes closed, misunderstanding all you see" John W Lennon

"People do not quit playing because they grow old, they grow old because they quit playing" George Bernard Shaw
Boris

« Reply #2 on: February 02, 2012, 07:43 AM »

I really like that that inflatable indoor kite gym you've got there too, how long does it take to set up?   Wink   Grin
Thank you mikenchico!
The kites on the videos are made of Tyvek. I use PET and PP foils and waterproof paper for my gliders also.

I can't say anything about inflatable gym setup Smiley It's a big inflatable hall for 4 tennis courts and a body-builder room.

tonycarl60
Trade Count: (+7)

« Reply #3 on: February 02, 2012, 03:01 PM »

Cool  Smiley I,ve converted a light fighter into a glider kite by putting a slight bow and a little nose weight on it.  I think there would be a market for an inexpensive eddy kite that would fly in low winds and would be a glider when the wind dies. My current favorite are the horvath hybrid kites  but they are a little pricey. 
Boris

« Reply #4 on: February 03, 2012, 01:31 AM »

Thank you
Yes, this idea works. I made some gliders based on the classic fighter shapes. But with a few prototypes I see that kites with a shorter nose (like the classic Eddy kite has) fly better both in the kite and gliding modes.

I also like the idea of a wide wind range glider-kite. E.g. FW Wala is good on this matter using a tail and the spreader conversion. Penta gliders and low wingspan Eddy gliders are quite steady in windy conditions.
A wider Eddy glider requires more control or a tail.

kiteguy
Trade Count: (+1)

« Reply #5 on: February 05, 2012, 08:07 PM »

Thank you mikenchico!
The kites on the videos are made of Tyvek. I use PET and PP foils and waterproof paper for my gliders also.

I can't say anything about inflatable gym setup Smiley It's a big inflatable hall for 4 tennis courts and a body-builder room.

What material do you use for spars, and how do you induce the dihedral?  Just wondering.  I have made several glider kites, but none based on an Eddy.  Most were based on the Delta format.

Boris

« Reply #6 on: February 06, 2012, 06:00 AM »

I've used 3.5mm fiberglass tubes for the kites that are shown on the videos. The spreader length is 1m. The spreader is bowed using a tension line.
For my other gliders I use carbon tubes, fiberglass rods and even bamboo. I think that the ideal combination is a carbon spine and a fiberglass spreader. A greater weight of fiberglass is not a problem for a spreader because gliders require a greater weight on the nose.
Gliders that are made of a paper, bamboo and cotton line are my other favorites Smiley

I'm looking for an "ideal" sail material for gliders. Fabrics, plain polymer films, tyvek all have some disadvantages.

Boris

« Reply #7 on: August 12, 2012, 12:43 PM »

Eddy glider can be easily converted into a conventional kite. To swich into the kite mode it requires to remove weight from nose and a bridle adjustment.

Eddy Kite Glider in kite mode

Boris

« Reply #8 on: December 05, 2012, 12:29 PM »

It's a new video of my Eddy Kite glider. This version of the glider has a hybrid frame - a carbon spine and a fiberglass spreader.

Eddy Kite Glider at ZIL Culture Center

Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

items purchased through the links below help support the forum

Cal Custom

Our forum is made possible by the good folks whose ads appear below and by the members of our community (PayPal donation button at bottom)
In case you missed it each ad is linked to the sponsors web site.  So please, take a moment and visit our sponsors sites as this forum wouldn't be possible with out them.
Interested in running an ad for your business or kiting event?  Contact Steve at advertise.gwtwkites@gmail.com for a quote.

kmacFab
kmacFab

Kite Classifieds Ad
Kite Classifieds

A Wind Of Change
A Wind Of Change

Kitebookie
Kitebookie.com

Untitled Document

Untitled Document
Untitled Document

Untitled Document