GWTW Forum
June 30, 2015, 10:09 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Forum Info Login Register Chat  
Welcome to the GWTW Forum.
Guests (non-registered users) can view the forum but are unable to post.  If you don't have anything to say then why would you bother to register?
One of the most popular sections of the GWTW Forum has long been the Swap Meet.  A great place to sell old, seldom flown kites or to get great deals on used (gently flown) kites.  Only registered users can see the Swap Meet section, let alone wheel and deal.  1000's (literally) of kites have changed hands thanks to the Swap Meet.
There are several more benefits to being a registered user, but you'll have to join our little community to find out all the "secrets".
Questions or concerns? Contact Steve ... just drop an email to: forum.gwtwkites@gmail.com

Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: anyone buy one of these chinese octopus off Ebay  (Read 851 times)
sanleonkid
Trade Count: (0)

« on: June 23, 2015, 06:33 PM »

one major rule here...no eBay links.......-thief

does anyone have experience with one of these?  the photos look like the one pictured is longer than 45'  if you picked one up.... did it actually fly?
« Last Edit: June 23, 2015, 07:34 PM by thief » Logged
thief
Trade Count: (+26)

« Reply #1 on: June 23, 2015, 07:35 PM »

I would not get a Chinese ripoff.... You can find good deals on Peter Lynn designed ones.....

Kites kayaks & corgis again!!!
Charles G
Trade Count: (+20)

« Reply #2 on: June 23, 2015, 07:43 PM »

I would not get a Chinese ripoff.....

I made the mistake of buying a kite from ebay seller hdkite (seller out of China). It was so poorly made, and was missing pieces. I learned my lesson to never do that again.

Wayner
Trade Count: (+18)

« Reply #3 on: June 23, 2015, 11:06 PM »

if you are looking Chinese, Emma Kites builds a quality product. but recommend with a reservation.

Design, materials and construction are good. Quality control is not up to western standards. i.e. an entire seam may be missing. Having access to a sewing machine and its an easy fix. Without one you maybe in trouble.
For me one piece of line laundry was missing a seam. Hear from a fellow kite flyer a seam was missing on his octopus. This small sample size shows it was a one in four problem. Have a sewing machine so I rate it a good buy.

The Lynn octopus is a great buy. its much more impressive in the air then the Chinese versions. Had my 75 Emma Octopus up with another flyer Lynn 20 Octopus. The Lynn looked better. its 3D eyes and suckers look much more dramatic even though it was smaller.

Michel
Trade Count: (+14)

« Reply #4 on: June 24, 2015, 06:40 AM »

I would not get a Chinese ripoff.... You can find good deals on Peter Lynn designed ones.....

Peter Lynn  kites are not built in China too now?
Bgywrinkle
Trade Count: (+1)

« Reply #5 on: June 24, 2015, 07:39 AM »

I have a PL maxi octopus and a Zimmermann dragon and love both.  That being said,  I was against the Chinese "knockoffs" and supported the idea of buying from the designer.  In the past 2 years, I have been exposed to a 149 ft purple Octopus that was made in china and not by PL designs.  The head is much longer and the leg bases form a circle where they join the head.  The suction cups animated and the eyes bulge.  It flies beautifully.  Examination of the construction shows a well made kite.  It will fly on a single or split bridle. It does not look like a "knockoff" to me.  Adaption, maybe.  I don't have a picture at hand, but it was at St Honore International Kite Festival in 2013 and in Dieppe NB the same year.  If I wanted a new octopus, I would buy one.  I am not sure ebay is the place to find quality Chinese kites.

I'm sure someone lurking out there can direct you to the better manufacturers

Just my observations,

Don Tuff
« Last Edit: June 24, 2015, 07:50 AM by Bgywrinkle » Logged

May you be the kind of person your dog thinks you are.
thief

« Reply #6 on: June 24, 2015, 08:54 AM »

Peter Lynn  kites are not built in China too now?

that is why i said ripoff...
I would be interested in seeing the new single skin octo that Peter is working on! lighter....might be easier to transport too...

thief

« Reply #7 on: June 24, 2015, 09:13 AM »

Don: is this the ocotpus you are referring to?

sanleonkid

« Reply #8 on: June 24, 2015, 06:28 PM »

and I thought the Colt Forum guys were tough.....
JimNZ

« Reply #9 on: June 25, 2015, 03:40 AM »

The Chinese octopuses are quite different to the Peter Lynn ones, rather than a rip-off of his design (more like a parafoil with tentacles,) and can be had for about one-seventh the price for the same size.  As in most things, you get what you pay for, but that said, I have two 50ft ones and a couple of smaller ones, and they fly well and have lasted through many flights.  Not everyone can afford the price of the PL kites, although they have come down a little lately.  And yes, I think many of the PL kites are now made in China but bridled in the factory in New Zealand.  Almost all American "manufacturers" have their kites made in China, albeit to a high standard, so we shouldn't decry everything that comes from there.

Jim
Bgywrinkle

« Reply #10 on: June 25, 2015, 07:35 AM »

Rob,

I'm not sure it is, I can't really see the details. I found a photo, I'll try to put up in the next few hours.  It is not a parafoil, it has the same fullness as a PL octopus. Just a different physical design.

Regards,
 Don
« Last Edit: June 26, 2015, 04:21 AM by Bgywrinkle » Logged

Bgywrinkle

« Reply #11 on: June 25, 2015, 08:13 AM »

Here's the photo from Dieppe NB in 2013.  my pink Maxi is to the right.

« Last Edit: June 25, 2015, 08:16 AM by Bgywrinkle » Logged

sanleonkid

« Reply #12 on: June 25, 2015, 06:06 PM »

do know the maker of the purple octopus? is 20-30% of the PL........
Bgywrinkle

« Reply #13 on: June 26, 2015, 04:25 AM »

I do not know who the manufacturer is or who they bought it from or how much it cost.

To my knowledge, the owner(s) is from Manchester NH.

I suspect it is Weifang New Sky Kites, but do not know for sure.
« Last Edit: June 26, 2015, 05:52 AM by Bgywrinkle » Logged

Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Kite Classifieds Ad
Kite Classifieds

A Wind Of Change
A Wind Of Change

Untitled Document
Untitled Document

FMKS
Fly Market

Smooth Winds
Smooth Winds

A Wind Of Change
skyshark

Kitebookie
Kitebookie.com

Untitled Document

Untitled Document
Untitled Document

Our forum is made possible by the good folks whose ads appear above and by the members of our community (PayPal donation button at bottom)
In case you missed it each ad is linked to the sponsors web site.  So please, take a moment and visit our sponsors sites as this forum wouldn't be possible with out them.
Interested in running an ad for your business or kiting event?  Contact Steve at advertise.gwtwkites@gmail.com for a quote.

Cal Custom

Support the GWTW Forum