GWTW Forum
November 21, 2017, 09:37 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Forum Info Login Register Chat  
Welcome to the GWTW Forum.
Guests (non-registered users) can view the forum but are unable to post.  If you don't have anything to say then why would you bother to register?
One of the most popular sections of the GWTW Forum has long been the Swap Meet.  A great place to sell old, seldom flown kites or to get great deals on used (gently flown) kites.  Only registered users can see the Swap Meet section, let alone wheel and deal.  1000's (literally) of kites have changed hands thanks to the Swap Meet.
There are several more benefits to being a registered user, but you'll have to join our little community to find out all the "secrets".
Questions or concerns? Contact Steve ... just drop an email to: forum.gwtwkites@gmail.com

Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Lifter  (Read 199 times)
temoniprince
Trade Count: (+3)

« on: Yesterday at 11:57 AM »

Hey guys I got a few months back i got a Skyform Lifter 60 from someone and its looks amazing.  Was wondering what line strength should i be using.  I think i already have 150lb but don't think thats enough... What are your thoughts....

thx sammy
Charles G
Trade Count: (+28)

« Reply #1 on: Yesterday at 12:34 PM »

750lb minimum, 1000lb would be better. Iíve started using Technora line, and fly my Skyhook 100s on 950lb line.

thief
Global Moderator
Trade Count: (+30)

« Reply #2 on: Yesterday at 12:57 PM »

Charles where do you find that?
What about it do you like?

Kites kayaks & corgis again!!!
tcope
Trade Count: (+5)

« Reply #3 on: Yesterday at 01:01 PM »

Depends on the wind.. of course.

I'd say you should be fine with 500lbs in most cases. I'd say 750 in higher winds.

Todd Copeland
Member of T.I.S.K.K
Memeber of Utah Kite Fliers
https://www.youtube.com/user/UtahKiteFlier
tcope
Trade Count: (+5)

« Reply #4 on: Yesterday at 01:08 PM »

Technore is nice but the issue with it is that it it only stretches around 1.2% vs braided Dacron which has about 20%. In most cases you want some stretch with SLK as it adds as a type of shock absorber. It stretches out before it reaches it's breaking point.

Todd Copeland
Member of T.I.S.K.K
Memeber of Utah Kite Fliers
https://www.youtube.com/user/UtahKiteFlier
Charles G
Trade Count: (+28)

« Reply #5 on: Yesterday at 01:55 PM »

I get Technora at Twinline USA.
Technora is similar to kevlar but has better UV resistance, smaller diameter and lighter than dacron, and my one of a kind kites wonít be cut out of the sky by someone flying their Disney Princess kite. A few years ago, I lost one of my Gibian kites to someone flying a Gayla kite too close to my kite. It ended up on the freeway a half mile from where it landed. There wasnít one usable stick left on the kite. That night I went home and ordered kevlar line to replace all my dacron. Now, Iíve switched to Technora. I canít take the chance of having my kites landing on the freeway again and causing an accident. Also, having that Gibian repaired was expensive.

Depends on the wind.. of course.

I'd say you should be fine with 500lbs in most cases. I'd say 750 in higher winds.

I agree with you, I was using the numbers from Gombergís site.

Technore is nice but the issue with it is that it it only stretches around 1.2% vs braided Dacron which has about 20%. In most cases you want some stretch with SLK as it adds as a type of shock absorber. It stretches out before it reaches it's breaking point.

I use tubular webbing at the anchors of my kites to prevent people from running into the line and it acts as a shock absorber as well.
« Last Edit: Yesterday at 07:26 PM by Charles G » Logged

temoniprince
Trade Count: (+3)

« Reply #6 on: Yesterday at 02:31 PM »

I heard people use all differ pound lines so thank you for the info!
Roger
Trade Count: (0)

« Reply #7 on: Yesterday at 06:43 PM »

I don't recall ever seeing any actual measures of kites' pulls at given wind speeds, which IMHO would be the best basis for choosing line strength. As I have some new kites to test I plan to add a spring scale to my kit & kaboodle so I can collect some data. Given the expense and added weight & drag of thicker & heavier test line there is every reason to use the lightest practical.

As to shock absorbing on SLKs, I have found the catenary usually suffices.
OCPablo
Trade Count: (+9)

« Reply #8 on: Yesterday at 10:40 PM »

Had the opportunity to check out the Technora line Charles is using, and immediately went out and bought some in 200lb and 1200lb.  The 1200 is maybe as think as 300lb Dacron.  I am lucky enough to see many of Charles collection, and his collection of kites is astounding.  His choices and anchoring solutions are well thought out and proven... so why not ensure my little collection is just as safe? 

This Technora also allows me to create some clean fixed loops on the end of my flying lines as well. 

SoCal Smoooth Winds... Arriving Daily.

SoCal Kite Quiver 2.0: https://goo.gl/photos/JsGxgqswN8GtbAox9
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Support the GWTW Forum

Kite Classifieds Ad
Kite Classifieds

A Wind Of Change
A Wind Of Change

FMKS
Fly Market

A Wind Of Change
skyshark

Blue Moon
Blue Moon Kites

Our forum is made possible by the good folks whose ads appear above and by the members of our community (PayPal donation button at top)
In case you missed it each ad is linked to the sponsors web site.  So please, take a moment and visit our sponsors sites as this forum wouldn't be possible with out them.
Interested in running an ad for your business or kiting event?  Contact Steve at advertise.gwtwkites@gmail.com for a quote.

Cal Custom