GWTW Forum
August 23, 2016, 10:02 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Forum Info Login Register Chat  
Welcome to the GWTW Forum.
Guests (non-registered users) can view the forum but are unable to post.  If you don't have anything to say then why would you bother to register?
One of the most popular sections of the GWTW Forum has long been the Swap Meet.  A great place to sell old, seldom flown kites or to get great deals on used (gently flown) kites.  Only registered users can see the Swap Meet section, let alone wheel and deal.  1000's (literally) of kites have changed hands thanks to the Swap Meet.
There are several more benefits to being a registered user, but you'll have to join our little community to find out all the "secrets".
Questions or concerns? Contact Steve ... just drop an email to: forum.gwtwkites@gmail.com

Pages: 1 [2]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Caterpillar kite - 11ft  (Read 174707 times)
skb
Trade Count: (+19)

« Reply #15 on: July 12, 2016, 07:31 PM »

[...]
I could measure my bridle if folks are having issues. Wouldn't be the first time an inexpensive kite was mis-bridled.
It would be appreciated if you could post your measurements, Allen. I still haven't had a solid breeze to tune it in, and help would be welcome.  Grin

Sent from my '11 laptop using Hunt 'n' Peck 2.13
Allen Carter
Board Moderator
Trade Count: (+37)

« Reply #16 on: July 12, 2016, 08:27 PM »

Upper leg 23"

Lower leg 33"

Spine 27"

After reading about pockets popping, I looked closely at the stitching. Nose and tail in good shape after 3 flights, 2 on beach, one on hard dirt/grass.

« Last Edit: July 12, 2016, 08:36 PM by Allen Carter » Logged

Allen, AKA kitehead
Controlled Crash
Trade Count: (0)

« Reply #17 on: July 12, 2016, 08:37 PM »

For the past couple of weeks it seems like the only time the wind gusts to over 2 MPH is when it's raining, but I did get to fly the green one this weekend.

The wind cooperated long enough to get in about 30 minutes of airtime- out of 3 hours of flying.  I had the kite staked down, so I could do long line launches when the wind picked up. The wind would occasionally muster up a gust that would try and flip the kite over. It did self launch once.

I moved the tow point up around three inches. I might have to readjust that if I get to fly it in better wind.

What # line is everyone using? I used 80# line, but I think I might go with 100-150# in stronger wind.
Allen Carter
Board Moderator
Trade Count: (+37)

« Reply #18 on: July 12, 2016, 08:46 PM »

I use pretty light line. probably 80-100#

They don't pull very hard.
« Last Edit: July 12, 2016, 08:51 PM by Allen Carter » Logged

Allen, AKA kitehead
Hal
Trade Count: (+1)

« Reply #19 on: July 12, 2016, 09:39 PM »

Thanks for the measurements and the photos Allen.  That really helps. 

Hal
Helena, MT
skb

« Reply #20 on: July 12, 2016, 11:55 PM »

Thanks, Allen - that is completely different from the way mine was set from the factory.
I'll give your settings a try next time we have a cooperative breeze.

oldflyer
Trade Count: (+5)

« Reply #21 on: July 16, 2016, 01:51 PM »

Many thanks Allen

The bridle on mine is way out. I will adjust to your settings and tow points and try again.

Smiley
skb

« Reply #22 on: July 17, 2016, 09:06 PM »

I made a new bridle to match Allen's measurements and have had a couple of days with enough winds and it's a real improvement. It was quite a hit at the kite festival this weekend. Thanks for the help!

np
Trade Count: (+29)

« Reply #23 on: August 03, 2016, 04:40 PM »

Monday and Tuesday I put my Centipede up for the first time at Oxnard Beach Park. I put Allen Carters bridle measurements in my wallet, just in case. It was the first time I put the kite together. I measured my bridle and it was exactly the same as Allen's. Yes, it does fly at a fairly low angle and it required 8+ mph wind to stay up. The wind was bumpy at the grass area, but I was to lazy to walk to the beach, so flew on the grass. It is the ONLY single line kite I own. I had several comments as people walked by.Two people came up and asked where I bought the kite. Now, I'm thinking I might have to buy a tube tail for one of my dualies.   Cheesy

« Last Edit: August 03, 2016, 04:56 PM by np » Logged
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Support the GWTW Forum

Kite Classifieds Ad
Kite Classifieds

A Wind Of Change
A Wind Of Change

Untitled Document
Untitled Document

FMKS
Fly Market

A Wind Of Change
skyshark

Kitebookie
Kitebookie.com

Untitled Document

Untitled Document
Untitled Document

Our forum is made possible by the good folks whose ads appear above and by the members of our community (PayPal donation button at top)
In case you missed it each ad is linked to the sponsors web site.  So please, take a moment and visit our sponsors sites as this forum wouldn't be possible with out them.
Interested in running an ad for your business or kiting event?  Contact Steve at advertise.gwtwkites@gmail.com for a quote.

Cal Custom