GWTW Forum
July 25, 2014, 04:16 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Forum Info Login Register Chat  
Welcome to the GWTW Forum.
Guests (non-registered users) can view the forum but are unable to post.  If you don't have anything to say then why would you bother to register?
One of the most popular sections of the GWTW Forum has long been the Swap Meet.  A great place to sell old, seldom flown kites or to get great deals on used (gently flown) kites.  Only registered users can see the Swap Meet section, let alone wheel and deal.  1000's (literally) of kites have changed hands thanks to the Swap Meet.
There are several more benefits to being a registered user, but you'll have to join our little community to find out all the "secrets".
Questions or concerns? Contact Steve ... just drop an email to: forum.gwtwkites@gmail.com

Pages: [1] 2   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: vista64 bit SP2 is out and now my sys wont boot!  (Read 3114 times)
browndude3649
Trade Count: (+3)

« on: May 30, 2009, 09:11 AM »

Cry
So the SP2 update comes out aboot 600mb, and now i cant get to the account screen without it looking for dll's and sticking at this error?
!!0xc0000034!! 7381/79210(amd64_microsoft_windows_shsvcs_31bf3856ad........blahblah.
I run 2 HD's in RAID and no backup of documentsl. i figure if i take it to my local mechanic he can get them out, but crap.
Wont boot into safe mode, normally nor disc, not even command prompt which i dont know how to use anyways.
MS website offers tech support for SP2 for free till Nov 09. is that normal?
BTW i do auto updates but manually pick which to install.
Any thoughts or am i the only one?
Allen Carter
Board Moderator
Trade Count: (+15)

« Reply #1 on: May 30, 2009, 01:00 PM »

no backup of documents

Murphy's Law  Sad

No sympathy.   Smiley

Have fun. 

Allen, AKA kitehead
tpatter
Trade Count: (+21)

« Reply #2 on: May 30, 2009, 03:22 PM »

This advice is of no help, but consider moving to a Mac.  Vista was what finally made me switch and I wish I had done it years ago - its nice to use an OS that doesn't get in the way all the time and just "works".

6 kite tom
RobB
Trade Count: (+9)

« Reply #3 on: May 30, 2009, 05:35 PM »

Hey there...
It sounds like your windows is blown up. There may be a fix for this if you get MS on the phone, and get a good technician. You could research the knowledge base at MS website, and find a possible fix. Realize, these two methods could cost you countless fruitless hours. No fix, unlimitted frustration...
What would I do ?? If this happened to me... First, I would get another HD (I assume you have an old one, maybe in an old machine ?) Disconnect the raid drives (I assume because you only have 2, they are mirrored ?) and remove the raid controller if it is an add-on card. Load a base copy of windows on the old IDE hard drive. Load necessary hardware drivers, including SCSI driver. Install SCSI controller (if you removed it), make sure it comes up properly in device mgr, shut down, hook up your drives, and back your data up someplace safe. They should come up as the next available drive letters. If they were mirrored drives, it is only necessary to hook up one of them.
Once you have your data off to the side, load windows back on your scsi drives in their original configuration. Once you've got everything working again, go out and patch the machine to date before loading any applications. Make sure you go out and get all the updated drivers from the different manufacturers before you run windows updates.
Did you build this machine, or buy it setup like this ?
I guess this comes down to how important that data is to you... you could always install the drives into another working machine, if you had one to mess with, that would be the easiest thing to do, I suppose.

Good luck....
~Rob.

browndude3649
Trade Count: (+3)

« Reply #4 on: May 30, 2009, 06:15 PM »

Rob thanks for the reply.
MS KNowledge base says my fat update got screwed up somehow and my 2 RAID drives are toast-the vista is toast i mean. YUP its a homebuilder-my first. Little over a year old.
Vista 64bit ultimate retail
Intel dual core quad
SLI mobo
Hitachi 320GB SATA x2 onbaord RAID
8 gigs RAM
8800gt x2
soundablaster xfi
I figure they're mirrored SATA drives,but the stripe says it s 596 GB and healthy Using on-board RAID controller from motherboard.
Yeah the stuff i didnt backup is important. I can put one HD into another machine right now, but if it isnt mirrored will that fudge up the pers. data on it?

So if i can do that, i just take personal docs off and then start fresh with all new updated software for the gear thats inside?

Allen Carter
Board Moderator
Trade Count: (+15)

« Reply #5 on: May 30, 2009, 07:18 PM »

If the disks were mirrored you can possibly break the array in the RAID SW and pull one disk. There's a risk the disk might not like to run on a different controller.

I'd say put another disk on the system to boot from and rescue data from the RAID undisturbed. Once you've got you data you could break the mirror and have one disk to work on and one disk to keep safe.

Allen, AKA kitehead
mikenchico
Board Moderator
Trade Count: (0)

« Reply #6 on: May 30, 2009, 11:36 PM »

If your lucky, and it's a possibility, maybe your secondary drive hadn't been modified during the update or didn't get trashed and is possibly still intact. If it's a mirrored raid, and I'd need a little more input from you techs to confirm this, can't you make the drive boot-able and reset the jumpers to make it your primary and install it as drive 0, your primary drive? I thought that was the purpose of a mirrored raid setup.

Again I'd need a techs input here, but if he has a mirrored raid, in the future is there any way to disable the second drive during updates until he's assured the updates have caused no problems so he could swap drives as above if an update went wrong? If he has a striped raid though all the above is irrelevant.

An alternative to opening another machine to hook up your old drives to attempt to rescue your data is to purchase an external drive case, about $30, USB and/or firewire hookup to any computer. But if the FAT (file allocation table) has truly been trashed and you can't restore the backup that Windows makes to access the drive your going to need good recovery software to rebuild the FAT. I personally haven't had much luck with those.

OK from now on your going to have an external backup drive, right? And your going to do regular backups, right? And your going to unhook that external drive and store it in a different location after running a backup, right?

A mirrored raid is not a secure backup, if you get hit by lightning, your house burns, somebody steals your computer or, where you live, the walls should come tumbling down that mirror is toast too.

« Last Edit: May 30, 2009, 11:38 PM by mikenchico » Logged

"Living is easy with eyes closed, misunderstanding all you see" John W Lennon

"People do not quit playing because they grow old, they grow old because they quit playing" George Bernard Shaw
fidelio
Trade Count: (+7)

« Reply #7 on: May 31, 2009, 12:35 AM »

if you only have 2 disks and the capacity of your raid array is larger than the capacity of a single disk, then you're using a raid 0 setup. unfortunately this means under no circumstance will you be able to read from one of the disks alone.

my advice to you sir would be this; pick up another $50 hard drive. then you can unhook both your raid drives, hook up the new drive, install windows on the new drive. once that's done hook your raid drives back up, recover your data, then break the raid, leaving 2 (or more) disks in the machine but using an actual separate physical disk to store your personal files, and the other disk for os, and program files.

having one disk for 'active' data, and one disk for 'inert' data can/will save you hours and hours of frustration and headache in the future.

generally speaking, for home use raid 0 is a bad idea if the intent is to gain performance. by using raid 0 you're dramatically increasing your chances of losing your data as your data is linked not to the integrity of a single disk, but multiple. a crude example would be if each disk had a 50% chance to fail, by linking them you've now increased the chance of data loss to 75% because if either disk fails, you lose data.

in any case, the easiest way for you to ensure an easy recovery path of data you have on your raid, would be to have another disk which you boot from, and can shuttle data to.

Fdeli
RobB

« Reply #8 on: May 31, 2009, 12:55 AM »

What are the the sizes of the individual HDs ? 320, and your partition is 596 ? That means the controller is treating them both as one big drive, and there is no mirror. Unplug both drives, and load a base windows on a third disk. Replug both drives, and boot into the RAID bios. Tell the bios that your third drive (base windows) is the primary boot device, and to treat the other two as one big data drive. The bios should recognize them as such, but just verify. This is assuming that your 3rd drive is an SATA drive. If you use an IDE drive, disreguard the RAID bios, but tell the MB bios to boot from the IDE drive, not the failed SATA drives.
Bottom line is, once you've got your scratch windows load, when you boot it, you should be able to treat your failed windows drives as a data drive (like drive E). Get the data off of them, even onto the scratch drive, and then go about reloading windows on the RAID drives like it was.
Your failure may have been caused by not having the up to date mother board drivers (RAID drivers) when you loaded SP2. It really could've been any one of a million things, but when you load it back up, goto the MB manufacturer's web site, and make sure you've got the latest drivers for your chipset, then patch the machine to date with windows update. Then... load your applications, and bring your data back over.

By the way, I just got a 1TB Seagate external HD for $99. Cheap insurance...

~Rob.

RobB

« Reply #9 on: May 31, 2009, 01:01 AM »

if you only have 2 disks and the capacity of your raid array is larger than the capacity of a single disk, then you're using a raid 0 setup. unfortunately this means under no circumstance will you be able to read from one of the disks alone.

my advice to you sir would be this; pick up another $50 hard drive. then you can unhook both your raid drives, hook up the new drive, install windows on the new drive. once that's done hook your raid drives back up, recover your data, then break the raid, leaving 2 (or more) disks in the machine but using an actual separate physical disk to store your personal files, and the other disk for os, and program files.

having one disk for 'active' data, and one disk for 'inert' data can/will save you hours and hours of frustration and headache in the future.

generally speaking, for home use raid 0 is a bad idea if the intent is to gain performance. by using raid 0 you're dramatically increasing your chances of losing your data as your data is linked not to the integrity of a single disk, but multiple. a crude example would be if each disk had a 50% chance to fail, by linking them you've now increased the chance of data loss to 75% because if either disk fails, you lose data.

in any case, the easiest way for you to ensure an easy recovery path of data you have on your raid, would be to have another disk which you boot from, and can shuttle data to.

I totally agree with this. Keep your drives separate in the future... Having a C and a D drive isn't so bad...

tpatter
Trade Count: (+21)

« Reply #10 on: May 31, 2009, 01:17 AM »

Time Machine...  (sorry, couldn't resist)

http://www.apple.com/macosx/features/timemachine.html

« Last Edit: May 31, 2009, 01:32 AM by tpatter » Logged

6 kite tom
obijuankenobe
Trade Count: (+1)

« Reply #11 on: May 31, 2009, 03:02 AM »

Dude, you are working with out a backup in 2009?  Really?  Seriously?  With 500GB for sale at 100USD? 

Data which is not backed up...priceless and irreplaceable.

Data which is backed up is neither. 

Live and learn I guess.  I had a laptop stolen in 2004.  Lost two years work that was not archived. 

NEVER AGAIN. 

Good luck getting this sorted.

obi

"When once you have tasted flight, you will forever walk the earth with your eyes turned skyward, for there you have been, and there you will always long to return." L daVinci
gwm
Trade Count: (+14)

« Reply #12 on: May 31, 2009, 06:14 AM »

1 TB Western Digital External HD - 119.00 now at BestBuy

50 gigs free at Adrive.com (better than nothing)
RobB

« Reply #13 on: May 31, 2009, 07:45 AM »

All machines are destined to fail... (Tom, I've seen my share of 'sad macs', too.) You would not believe how few people use backup devices, even if they own them. I have seen a large business loose 5 years worth of records, and have to hire temps to re-key data from hard copy.
The 1 tb Seagate drive came from Staples, last week. $99 !!! There is no excuse, especially if you've got a digital photo archive. I had a guy (father of four) loose years of photos due to a siezed HD. Birthdays, holidays, vacations... gone. That was really sad.
The best thing to do is to have 2 backups... one on another drive, like an external hd, and one on another machine that is not on premisis with your primary machine. I backup my pictures onto my laptop, and take it with me. That way if my stuff gets stolen or burned (house fire), I still have a copy of my pictures.
~Rob.

kiteking
Trade Count: (+10)

« Reply #14 on: May 31, 2009, 08:10 AM »

I have a great (non) backup story, but it is stored on a drive that is not readable, so I can't share it anymore.

All original photos copied to backup drive (currently a 1 terabyte $89.00) then burnt to DVD when have enough to fill.

Do the same with MP3 files.

Amazing how much room it clears up off the local drive when only keeping current projects local

I always advise people that all HDD's fail, it only a question of when (I have recently replaced drives in 3 Macbooks) 

"Wind to your back, Kite in the sky."

MikeM
Brookings, OR  - KP 4-11

#518  -    #110883 -

Pages: [1] 2   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

items purchased through the links below help support the forum

Our forum is made possible by the good folks whose ads appear below and by the members of our community (PayPal donation button at bottom)
In case you missed it each ad is linked to the sponsors web site.  So please, take a moment and visit our sponsors sites as this forum wouldn't be possible with out them.
Interested in running an ad for your business or kiting event?  Contact Steve at advertise.gwtwkites@gmail.com for a quote.

Kite Classifieds Ad
Kite Classifieds

A Wind Of Change
A Wind Of Change

Kitebookie
Kitebookie.com

Untitled Document

Untitled Document
Untitled Document

Untitled Document
Untitled Document

Untitled Document