GWTW Forum
October 24, 2014, 08:35 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Forum Info Login Register Chat  
Welcome to the GWTW Forum.
Guests (non-registered users) can view the forum but are unable to post.  If you don't have anything to say then why would you bother to register?
One of the most popular sections of the GWTW Forum has long been the Swap Meet.  A great place to sell old, seldom flown kites or to get great deals on used (gently flown) kites.  Only registered users can see the Swap Meet section, let alone wheel and deal.  1000's (literally) of kites have changed hands thanks to the Swap Meet.
There are several more benefits to being a registered user, but you'll have to join our little community to find out all the "secrets".
Questions or concerns? Contact Steve ... just drop an email to: forum.gwtwkites@gmail.com

Pages: [1] 2   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: promiscuous rambling  (Read 3786 times)
david barnby
Trade Count: (+3)

« on: November 16, 2012, 10:00 AM »

have got me a new bicycle on the way (moulton tsr30-te) 'cause i am hankering for some long distance stuff after next spring. got me thinking it would be even harder to kite carry than on my motorcycles which always manage a rev or two and often an obsession gets strapped across the handlebars. the tsr, like all moultons is (supposed to be) a fine luggage carrier and i am thinking i might get a couple of full size kites unbroken to hang from the side of its rack and still be able to ride safe. can the two activities be combined? camera, bike and kite. even 3 together? - hmmm, yum yum
chilese
Global Moderator
Trade Count: (+5)

« Reply #1 on: November 16, 2012, 04:33 PM »

If you get a direct drive bicycle, you can pedal and ride

backwards and fly the kite filming you.  Smiley

I'd watch it.

John Chilese: Las Vegas, NV
http://picasaweb.google.com/chilesej
Turkey9186
Trade Count: (+6)

« Reply #2 on: November 16, 2012, 06:03 PM »

You sure have some funny looking bikes on the other side of the pond. Grin

Can you carry the kites vertically off the rear rack, an ATV gun rack on the handle bars, or messenger bag style over a shoulder in a Prism speed bag?
indigo_wolf
Trade Count: (+10)

« Reply #3 on: November 16, 2012, 07:43 PM »

You sure have some funny looking bikes on the other side of the pond. Grin

Not all that funny looking.... that's how a lot of collapsible transit bikes look like on this side of the pond too.

The leading link suspension up front and dry cone suspension out back are kind of a twist though.

ATB,
Sam
david barnby

« Reply #4 on: November 19, 2012, 01:16 AM »

funny looking eh? that's what they said when jacky brabham showed what a small wheeled, rear/small engined funny looking race car could do to the indy 500 in the 60's. brit invasion wasn't only about the music  Wink

pic pulled from :http://yacf.co.uk/forum/index.php?topic=45674.0

[attachment deleted by admin]
Ara Ararauna
Trade Count: (0)

« Reply #5 on: November 19, 2012, 01:26 AM »

If you get a direct drive bicycle, you can pedal and ride

backwards and fly the kite filming you.  Smiley

I'd watch it.

+1

In my bag...
Duals: NoName (NoBrand), Nexus (Prism), Soul (Flying Wings), Talon UL (JoE), LeQuartz (own build), Illusion Classic (Prism), Aura SUL custom (Skyburner), Sixth Sense STD (Krijn)
Singles: Conyne STD (my design)
david barnby

« Reply #6 on: November 22, 2012, 05:46 AM »

looks like from this picture :http://www.flickr.com/photos/velocipedinarian/7700287250/in/pool-moulton_bicycle/ that i have my answer. thought this was the case. looks like carrying my matrix (if anyone still knows what this is) set with me is going to be a doddle. bloody marvellous.

as for filming backwass from a kite - how does a direct drive help? i usually use buster the dog to pull me along so the kite not needed for that. i hate to think what your convoluted mind is up to big brother.please dont explain. Undecided

look forward to getting on a kite field with you one of these days again -say hi to bambi
thief
Board Moderator
Trade Count: (+25)

« Reply #7 on: November 22, 2012, 07:57 AM »

Wonder what that stick is for?

Kites kayaks & corgis again!!!
tpatter
Trade Count: (+24)

« Reply #8 on: November 22, 2012, 10:37 AM »

Wonder what that stick is for?

Snakes

6 kite tom
chilese
Global Moderator
Trade Count: (+5)

« Reply #9 on: November 22, 2012, 10:58 AM »

Please don't explain........

With a direct drive, you can pedal backwards and go

backwards.  Therefore, you will have the wind at your

back and can fly and look at the kite while you pedal.

You may want rear-view mirrors.  Smiley

John Chilese: Las Vegas, NV
http://picasaweb.google.com/chilesej
mikenchico
Board Moderator
Trade Count: (0)

« Reply #10 on: November 23, 2012, 01:07 PM »

We just sat backwards on the handlebars, feet on the pedals, the bike goes forwards while you face backwards. Then you can steer with your ahhh.... leaving your hands free to fly the kite.

I didn't know the Moultons had progressed that far or achieved the competition record they've gotten, good for them. Too bad about the frame rules that have kept them out of many competitions, would be interesting to see some inovation. Over here I guess we've still just thought of them as folding commuter bikes that never generated much interest.

« Last Edit: November 23, 2012, 02:16 PM by mikenchico » Logged

"Living is easy with eyes closed, misunderstanding all you see" John W Lennon

"People do not quit playing because they grow old, they grow old because they quit playing" George Bernard Shaw
david barnby

« Reply #11 on: November 24, 2012, 10:39 AM »

you mean a fixie big brother (direct drive means no chain - penny farthing kind of thing)

mike, you are very right - shame the industry got so scared they had the organisers ban them, but they still have many unbroken records according to their website

Is funny, they are not even "folding" but they do break in two with a single mechanism. Not much of a feature in the usa where cars are big and huge bike racks common. in europe of course the bike needs to go inside the car and the cars are compact

Also - maybe the stick is the spine off a viking's rok  Smiley Smiley
indigo_wolf
Trade Count: (+10)

« Reply #12 on: November 24, 2012, 11:00 AM »

Is funny, they are not even "folding" but they do break in two with a single mechanism. Not much of a feature in the usa where cars are big and huge bike racks common. in europe of course the bike needs to go inside the car and the cars are compact

Depends on where in the US.  Folding/Segmented bikes are still popular on commuter rail and similar.  Hauling big bike racks onto crowded trains is frowned upon.... yes, even in the US  Huh Cheesy

ATB,
Sam
david barnby

« Reply #13 on: November 24, 2012, 04:35 PM »

Understood - but not the moultons forte, it's not a folder.

The brompton was invented for that
david barnby

« Reply #14 on: December 03, 2012, 12:20 AM »

this is my brompton on a drizzly trip into town last week

[attachment deleted by admin]
Pages: [1] 2   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

items purchased through the links below help support the forum

Cal Custom

Our forum is made possible by the good folks whose ads appear below and by the members of our community (PayPal donation button at bottom)
In case you missed it each ad is linked to the sponsors web site.  So please, take a moment and visit our sponsors sites as this forum wouldn't be possible with out them.
Interested in running an ad for your business or kiting event?  Contact Steve at advertise.gwtwkites@gmail.com for a quote.

kmacFab
kmacFab

Kite Classifieds Ad
Kite Classifieds

A Wind Of Change
A Wind Of Change

Kitebookie
Kitebookie.com

Untitled Document

Untitled Document
Untitled Document

A Wind Of Change