GWTW Forum
April 19, 2014, 05:56 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Forum Info Login Register Chat  
Welcome to the GWTW Forum.
Guests (non-registered users) can view the forum but are unable to post.  If you don't have anything to say then why would you bother to register?
One of the most popular sections of the GWTW Forum has long been the Swap Meet.  A great place to sell old, seldom flown kites or to get great deals on used (gently flown) kites.  Only registered users can see the Swap Meet section, let alone wheel and deal.  1000's (literally) of kites have changed hands thanks to the Swap Meet.
There are several more benefits to being a registered user, but you'll have to join our little community to find out all the "secrets".
Questions or concerns?  forum.gwtwkites@gmail.com

Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: A question about the Peter Lynn Peel  (Read 1805 times)
kiteph
Trade Count: (0)

« on: November 16, 2012, 05:49 PM »

Good day fellow kite pilots! Greeting from the Philippines islands!

I am new here in this forum, though I browse and read before I signed in. I am  kite Fan and we try and help promote kite flying in my area since it is also part of our tradition.

Modern kites are hard to come by here since it is mostly imported, it turns out to be expensive. And even if you want to make one, raw materials are even harder (and costly) to come by.  I would like to seek help from the more experienced kite fliers here if they happen to have information on how to bridle a 5m Peter Lynn Peel. This kite will be donated to us and it is brand new but does not have any bridling. I've search about it and its been around awhile. A few questions besides how it is bridled (please note I have no experience in doing foils,  though I have made myself an NPW).

1. What is the type of cordage used in bridling?
2. What are the size/poundage of the bridling and flying lines used for the 5m peel?
3. How much line do I need to purchase to be able to complete the bridling for this kite?

If you can direct me to any links that may answer my questions would be greatly appreciated. Thanks for taking time to read this post.

Jonathan
KAP - Kite Assoc. of the Phils.
Mindanao Chapter

P.S.
Check out our local activities: https://www.facebook.com/KitePH?ref=hl
indigo_wolf
Trade Count: (+10)

« Reply #1 on: November 16, 2012, 07:36 PM »

I just sent of a request for information on the 5M Peel to Marijn Tijhof, who's a Peter Lynn rep.    He might not respond for a day or so because of the weekend, but I will post back with his response.

Otherwise, my friend in in another state has a 5M Peel and he might be able to provide the information although he would probably have to measure the actually bridle instead of having the measurements on hand.

ATB,
Sam
ae
Trade Count: (+2)

« Reply #2 on: November 17, 2012, 02:49 PM »

Ugh, the Peel bridle is really really complex and a ton of work. Plus i would not trust any measures taken from a kite because of its age and complexity.

indigo_wolf

« Reply #3 on: November 17, 2012, 05:07 PM »

Agreed (dual line with lots of cross-bridling).... that's why I was hoping to get the information from Marijn directly, first.

While PL does sell complete bridles seperately, the Peel had been off the yearly pricelist/catalog for quite some time. 

ATB,
Sam
kiteph

« Reply #4 on: November 17, 2012, 07:25 PM »

Totally awesome fellow kiters, really appreciate your reply. I know its gonna be a challenge bridling this one but if you come from a place where quality and branded kites are hard to come by any help you can extend in terms of knowledge exchange is a big contribution to our cause of promoting kite flying.

Thanks!
indigo_wolf

« Reply #5 on: December 12, 2012, 06:57 AM »

Sorry... lost track of this one.

Got this response back from Marijn

Hi Sam,

Thanks for the heads up on this, a challenge to say the least J.

Peel, as you might have guessed it’s not being produced anymore and originally it was a PL NZ design, the man himself.

Picture attached comes from the booklet ‘Buggies boats and Peels’ from Peter himself and as far as we are aware of the only documentation on this.

The Peel’s bridles were made on a wooden rack/rig with lots of nails in to weave the line onto, real old school so to say.

Materials.
For bridles I’d say 60kg Dynacore would do (Dynacore is what’s usually used for bridles) (retail here is about € 16,- / $ 20,- per 100m, one spool should be enough)

For flying lines a set of 2x200Kg 20m lines will work.

I will drop a line with Craig over at PL NZ to see if he has more info.

Cheers,
Marijn Tijhof
Peter Lynn / Vliegerop BV
Scheepmakersstraat 87
2515VB Den Haag
the Netherlands
tel: +3170 3858586

This file was attached to Marijn's response: Peel Bridle Optimizations (~790 KB)

ATB,
Sam
Smeagol
Trade Count: (+79)

« Reply #6 on: December 12, 2012, 02:28 PM »

How ironic.  I recently picked up a old 5m Peel.  Yes, the bridle is pretty crazy.  I've seen a few old articles floating around on the 'net about converting it to a quad.  Not sure what the results were though, but I thought about possibly trying it.  As a dual there's no reverse launch if you crash LE down. Wink
thief
Board Moderator
Trade Count: (+25)

« Reply #7 on: December 12, 2012, 02:54 PM »

I know that Zeke has/had a couple of peels....including a zippable one to change the size....

Kites kayaks & corgis again!!!
kiteph

« Reply #8 on: December 17, 2012, 01:27 PM »

Thanks for information indigo, I will try to see what I can do with the information that you have provided. Never have tried bridling a foil much less an old classic.  Do keep the information coming.

Good day to all!
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

items purchased through the links below help support the forum

Our forum is made possible by the good folks whose ads appear in the right margin of the forum and by the members of our community (PayPal donation button at bottom of the page)
In case you missed it each ad is linked to the sponsors web site.  So please, take a moment and visit our sponsors sites as this forum wouldn't be possible with out them. >>>
Interested in running an ad for your business or kiting event?  Contact Steve at advertise.gwtwkites@gmail.com for a quote.

member support is greatly appreciated!

Cal Custom
kitekids.net

Untitled Document
J Hall Photography