GWTW Forum
April 17, 2014, 12:22 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Forum Info Login Register Chat  
Welcome to the GWTW Forum.
Guests (non-registered users) can view the forum but are unable to post.  If you don't have anything to say then why would you bother to register?
One of the most popular sections of the GWTW Forum has long been the Swap Meet.  A great place to sell old, seldom flown kites or to get great deals on used (gently flown) kites.  Only registered users can see the Swap Meet section, let alone wheel and deal.  1000's (literally) of kites have changed hands thanks to the Swap Meet.
There are several more benefits to being a registered user, but you'll have to join our little community to find out all the "secrets".
Questions or concerns?  forum.gwtwkites@gmail.com

Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Advancing in my flying; big THANKS  (Read 682 times)
Ara Ararauna
Trade Count: (0)

« on: November 23, 2012, 10:34 AM »

Hi,

I arrived back home a while ago from a really great flying session at the beach. I'm soooooo tired but also sooooo satisfied.  Smiley
Also I taught myself a humbleness lesson: "never blame the kite when you cannot make it fly"

I am now learning how good the Soul is.
I am starting to be able to control it and it is a great feeling.
Of course my bridle was initially a bit off adjustment and I did not use the different settings for different wind strengths.
But even then I was tending to think the kite I had chosen was not good enough. This was being presumptuous on my side...  Embarrassed

Today it was a very nice afternoon. Sunny, clear sky and a bit windy. So I had to fight a bit with the kite.

Nevertheless I managed to do my first 540s with the Soul!   Huh

Unfortunately I couldn't video record it... but they were coming out really flat and fast.
Since the wind was strong I had to really run towards the kite as it was diving and then do the slack and pop.
Wow! I couldn't believe it.
Of course having done it first with my TalonUL helped a lot, but it is a big step going from doing it like in slowmo with the TalonUL to doing it lightning fast with the Soul and especially in the mid-strong wind (I didn't measure it today).
I did like more than 15 really successful 540s with really flat spins, no tangles and clean exits.  Cool

As the wind died down later on though, it became a bit more difficult to do them and I got more tangles or the kite went into turtles. I guess I was not adapting to the wind change (or I was already tired).

Therefore I started to try the cascade and I think I got it!
It is such a strange feeling doing the pop with one hand and then the other on the right and then repeat on the left...
I managed to do several that were 6 steps long (right-left x 3). Don't know why I couldn't make them longer. Guess I get tired too soon or too excited!  Wink
At the end I could even see how the kite was passing through the different positions. As if I were doing it in slowmo, but I wasn't.

Summing up. I think today I've given a huge step in my flying learning process and I wanted to share it with all of you. Especially those that have helped me so much with advise.

THANKS!  Cheesy

In my bag...
Duals: NoName (NoBrand), Nexus (Prism), Soul (Flying Wings), Talon UL (JoE), LeQuartz (own build), Illusion Classic (Prism), Aura SUL custom (Skyburner), Sixth Sense STD (Krijn)
Singles: Conyne STD (my design)
Wayner
Trade Count: (+11)

« Reply #1 on: November 23, 2012, 10:39 AM »

Grin
madhabitz
Trade Count: (+4)

« Reply #2 on: November 23, 2012, 10:57 AM »

Congratulations, I am so happy for you! And I am jealous Wink

"I haven't failed. I've just found ten-thousand ways that won't work."   -Thomas Edison
Hadge

« Reply #3 on: November 23, 2012, 11:13 AM »

It's a great feeling when a trick finally comes together! Well done!

Age and cunning will always overcome youth and skill!

In the bag - HQ Shadow, Prism 4D, Flying Wings Soul Mid Vent, HQ Jive (1), Spiderkites Zodarion, 'Paw' modded HQ Maestro ll, HQ Delta Hawk.
Ara Ararauna

« Reply #4 on: November 23, 2012, 12:05 PM »

It's a great feeling when a trick finally comes together! Well done!

Yeaaaaah!

The interesting thing is that once I got the 540 I thought about what was different from what I had been doing.
I came to the conclusion that the way the 540 is usually explained does not match my experience.
Usually people say:
1. dive the kite,
2. give sudden slack with one hand further out than the other to get an uneven pancake,
3. then pop the hand that is behind
4. give further slack to allow for rotation
5. pull the lines after 540 rotation to exit upwards

The part that didn't match to me are points 2 and 3
To me it is more like:
2. give sudden slack with only one hand
3. pop the other hand by moving it slightly forward and then hard back

So as I feel it, the hand that pops does not really give slack together with the other. It goes after the slack has been given and give a little slack because of the need to have some distance for the pop.

Anyway, I guess everyone has its own way of seeing and feeling the tricks.
Cheers!

In my bag...
Duals: NoName (NoBrand), Nexus (Prism), Soul (Flying Wings), Talon UL (JoE), LeQuartz (own build), Illusion Classic (Prism), Aura SUL custom (Skyburner), Sixth Sense STD (Krijn)
Singles: Conyne STD (my design)
Wayner
Trade Count: (+11)

« Reply #5 on: November 23, 2012, 12:33 PM »

Anyway, I guess everyone has its own way of seeing and feeling the tricks.

So true.

That is what makes trying to explain or tring to learn so hard.

Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

items purchased through the links below help support the forum

Our forum is made possible by the good folks whose ads appear in the right margin of the forum and by the members of our community (PayPal donation button at bottom of the page)
In case you missed it each ad is linked to the sponsors web site.  So please, take a moment and visit our sponsors sites as this forum wouldn't be possible with out them. >>>
Interested in running an ad for your business or kiting event?  Contact Steve at advertise.gwtwkites@gmail.com for a quote.

member support is greatly appreciated!

Cal Custom
kitekids.net

Untitled Document
J Hall Photography