GWTW Forum
October 31, 2014, 02:47 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Forum Info Login Register Chat  
Welcome to the GWTW Forum.
Guests (non-registered users) can view the forum but are unable to post.  If you don't have anything to say then why would you bother to register?
One of the most popular sections of the GWTW Forum has long been the Swap Meet.  A great place to sell old, seldom flown kites or to get great deals on used (gently flown) kites.  Only registered users can see the Swap Meet section, let alone wheel and deal.  1000's (literally) of kites have changed hands thanks to the Swap Meet.
There are several more benefits to being a registered user, but you'll have to join our little community to find out all the "secrets".
Questions or concerns? Contact Steve ... just drop an email to: forum.gwtwkites@gmail.com

Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Urgent help on Sea devil UL  (Read 1511 times)
Mick P
Trade Count: (+5)

« on: November 18, 2012, 11:17 AM »

Anyone knows the type of construction frame used for my Sea devil UL lower leading rod? Is it available at any kite shop or should I order it directly from Lam Hoac?
Visual inspection on the rod indicates it is 72.5 cm long (with the wing tip nock removed) Sky shark II wrapped tapered construction but I cannot tell the OD and thickness (5T or 3T, etc...).
Hope tpatter can comment since he seems to have close association with Lam and Lam is currently on the road (base on his last post from Taiwan airport)

I recently bought this kite from this forum, and unfortunately I broke the lower leading edge during the first 5 minute of myfirst test fly  Sad It was strange since the ground impact was not that hard and it breaks right below the APA lower spreader fitting.
I need to find a replacement rod asap, so any suggestion would be appreciated.

[attachment deleted by admin]
thief
Board Moderator
Trade Count: (+25)

« Reply #1 on: November 18, 2012, 11:36 AM »

if you pull it out it should say on it what rod it is......

btw: you can get all the rods you need right from this website.....check out this link: http://www.chicokites.com/store/index.php?act=viewProd&productId=101

Kites kayaks & corgis again!!!
tpatter
Trade Count: (+24)

« Reply #2 on: November 18, 2012, 12:09 PM »

I would bet serious money that its 3pt, but I will ask him next opportunity that I get.   

The kite likely uses 5pt for the lower spreader as well, so you may as well go ahead and order a 3 and 5 or two just to have a couple on hand.

6 kite tom
Mick P

« Reply #3 on: November 18, 2012, 09:08 PM »

Thanks thief for the advice, removing electrical tape on the rod revealed 2PT on the lower LE rod and 3PT on the lower spreader and Chico Kites got all the rods I need.
Tom, can you verify the rod sizes when you got a chance? Also do you have dimensions of this kite's bridle?
Very much appreciate everybody's help. It has been a few months since I joined this forum but I am already welcomed to this small but tight knit community.
cerfvoliste
Trade Count: (+3)

« Reply #4 on: November 19, 2012, 07:10 PM »

Check your PM's...
CV

Mick P

« Reply #5 on: November 27, 2012, 10:45 AM »

Thought that I need to express my appreciation to Steve of Chico Kites who helped me to get the replacement LE for my Sea Devil UL. Right after receiving my online order, Steve called me to confirm the order, offered some help on cutting rods, and best of all offered me one extra lower spreader and ferrule with no cost.
The shipment was quick, too. That was the service that surely exceed my expectation.
Thank you Steve.
tgard

« Reply #6 on: November 27, 2012, 01:06 PM »

I'm really interested to learn more of the framing specs of this kite

So it seems like it's 3PT ULE, 2PT LLE, 3PT LS. Is the spine P100? And US - 5mm?

If anyone could clarify I would really appreciate it.

Thanks a lot
Tim
Mick P

« Reply #7 on: December 02, 2012, 11:38 AM »

So it seems like it's 3PT ULE, 2PT LLE, 3PT LS. Is the spine P100? And US - 5mm?

My Sea Devil UL is framed with:
ULE: Unknown, no way I can remove to observe the rods without breaking out the yo-yo stops.
LLE: 2PT
LS: 3PT
US: 5mm
Spine: P200

I bought this kite used from this forum, and not sure if there was any modification to the kite.
tgard

« Reply #8 on: December 02, 2012, 02:17 PM »

Good to know.

Thanks!
Tim
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

items purchased through the links below help support the forum

Cal Custom

Our forum is made possible by the good folks whose ads appear below and by the members of our community (PayPal donation button at bottom)
In case you missed it each ad is linked to the sponsors web site.  So please, take a moment and visit our sponsors sites as this forum wouldn't be possible with out them.
Interested in running an ad for your business or kiting event?  Contact Steve at advertise.gwtwkites@gmail.com for a quote.

kmacFab
kmacFab

Kite Classifieds Ad
Kite Classifieds

A Wind Of Change
A Wind Of Change

Kitebookie
Kitebookie.com

Untitled Document

Untitled Document
Untitled Document

A Wind Of Change