Big Easy Kites M2 Upper Spreader
(1/1)
Michel:
Hi all,

I noticed that the upper spreader of my Big Easy Kites M2 is .156" (4 mm) solid carbon.

Do you know the reason for using a solid carbon rod instead hollow spar for an SUL kite... framed with full (very light) Avia Skinny UL ?

The weight of a hollow pultruded .156" Upper Spreader would be 6 g instead 11 g for a solid Upper Spreader.

Perhaps that 4 mm hollow carbon did'nt exist when the M2 was built by Ray Bordelon (1994-1995) ?

Thanks in advance !  ;)

Ca Ike:
Hollow tubes existed back then but the solid rod was preferred for strength and mass.  157 tube tends to split lengthwise rather easily in some applications.  The spreaders on my Wala XL were always failing like that.
ndcmpc:
BTW, if you check your upper LE, it should be Skinny SUL, not UL.

Don't know on the solid upper spreader.  Mine is solid as well.  I am guessing the mass for flat spins would be the reason.
Michel:
Thanks for your answers my friends.

Quote from: Ca Ike on November 20, 2012, 05:48 PM

Hollow tubes existed back then but the solid rod was preferred for strength and mass.[...]

Maybe but 5 g more for this SUL and a hollow carbon Upper Spreader is stiffer than a solid carbon rod.

Quote from: ndcmpc on November 20, 2012, 07:28 PM

BTW, if you check your upper LE, it should be Skinny SUL, not UL.

I knew that Doug, thanks. And what about the spine  ? I have read Skinny UL and Skinny SUL too ?
Ca Ike:
The Skinny ul was the lighter of the two rods.  For AVIA SUL stood for Superior Ultra Light which was one step above,  stronger and stiffer than the Skinny UL.

Maybe but 5 g more for this SUL and a hollow carbon Upper Spreader is stiffer than a solid carbon rod.

That all depends on materials.  I have solid rod thats really stiff and some thats more flexible that FG just because of differences in the resin used to make them.  Really though only Ray would know the real reason he chose that rod and IMO I've never flown a bad kite from his line up.
Navigation
Message Index