GWTW Forum
October 15, 2018, 04:31 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: Issues? Questions?
email gwtwforum@kitekids.net

Home   Help Forum Info Login Register Chat  
Welcome to the GWTW Forum.
Guests (non-registered users) can view the forum but are unable to post.  If you don't have anything to say then why would you bother to register?
One of the most popular sections of the GWTW Forum has long been the Swap Meet.  A great place to sell old, seldom flown kites or to get great deals on used (gently flown) kites.  Only registered users can see the Swap Meet section, let alone wheel and deal.  1000's (literally) of kites have changed hands thanks to the Swap Meet.
There are several more benefits to being a registered user, but you'll have to join our little community to find out all the "secrets".
Questions or concerns? Contact Steve ... just drop an email to: forum.gwtwkites@gmail.com

Pages: 1 ... 39 [40]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Doug Stout's Arrow Canard build (split off from the Stunt kite design tool)  (Read 322702 times)
Doug S
Trade Count: (0)

« Reply #585 on: April 27, 2018, 11:16 AM »

For those of us who have been using Cuben fabric, there have been changes as to ownership and sources of this fabric.  I hope this post will help you locate the material if you wish to use it.

It is our understanding that in 2015, Cubic Tech was acquired by Dyneema.  After the acquisition, the Cuben fabric was renamed to Dyneema Composite Fabric.  This acquisition did not directly affect most of us that use this fabric, because we obtained this fabric in small quantities from camping/backpacking outlets that would also sell the fabric by the yard.

Over the past few years, there were three, then two, then only one outlet of the fabric, other than purchasing an entire roll (~39.4 yards) directly from Cubic Tech.  Recently, the Zpacks website indicated that "In order to better focus on our core business (building gear) fabrics are no longer available for purchase direct from Zpacks."  Zpacks was the only vendor in recent years that carried the ultra-light 0.34 oz./sq.yd., along with the other weights of this fabric.

After recent discussions with Zpacks and the Cubic Tech division of Dyneema, a source of the Cuben Fabric (Now known as Dyneema Composite Fabric) was located, which is RipStopByTheRoll.com.  This source carries the ultra-light 0.34 oz./sq.yd.  They also carry other weights of this fabric.  The link to the the Dyneema Composite Fabric is:
 https://ripstopbytheroll.com/collections/dyneema-composite-fabric.  Please note the cost of this fabric has increased from what we have experienced in the recent past.

The purpose of this post was not to market the source of this fabric, but share with you our research to obtain this fabric for your own use.  We are currently restocking our inventory of this fabric, so we can continue development of our ultra-light glider kites.

Yours in kiting,

Doug

"We never really grow up, we only learn how to act in public."
Doug S

« Reply #586 on: May 29, 2018, 02:00 PM »

The following link provides the news article for the Indoor Event held at the 2018 Wildwood International Kite Festival.  We all has a blast flying in this very large indoor venue at the Wildwood, NJ Convention Center.  Enjoy!

http://www.philly.com/philly/news/wildwood-memorial-day-indoor-kite-competition-20180528.html?__vfz=medium%3Dsharebar

Yours in kiting,

Doug

thief
Global Moderator
Trade Count: (+30)

« Reply #587 on: May 29, 2018, 04:45 PM »

Indoor is eye opening in many ways Wink

That it's one of yours though Doug, right?

Kites kayaks & corgis again!!!
Doug S

« Reply #588 on: May 29, 2018, 05:32 PM »

Thief,

Yes, thatís my buddy Mike Stuligross flying one of my Viper 36Ms.  He placed third flying to Bali Hai from the movie South Pacific, which is why he selected that outfit to augment his indoor routine.  Mike lives in Catskills area of New York State.  I was flying my Raptor 36M, and was fortunate to place first flying to Jealous of the Angels, sung by Donna Taggart.

Doug
« Last Edit: May 30, 2018, 07:08 AM by Doug S » Logged

Doug S

« Reply #589 on: May 29, 2018, 06:35 PM »

To provide a better perspective of indoor competition and Mike's selected attire, the following Facebook link is the video of Mike's performance to Bali Hai from the movie South Pacific.  The video was taken by myself:

https://www.facebook.com/michael.stuligross/videos/vb.100003746822863/1245407425594140/?type=2&video_source=user_video_tab

The following Facebook link provides the video of my routine at Wildwood to Jealous of the Angels, sung by Donna Taggart.  The video was taken by Mike Stuligross:

https://www.facebook.com/michael.stuligross/videos/vb.100003746822863/1245845022217047/?type=2&video_source=user_video_tab

The following Facebook link provides a video for several of the indoor performances at the event.  The video was taken by James Fletcher:

https://www.facebook.com/harold.james.169/videos/2464079600284248/UzpfSTEwMDAwNDc4Mjk5NTQxMjo5NzA3MjExMjk3NjM5Nzg/

Doug
« Last Edit: May 30, 2018, 07:10 AM by Doug S » Logged

Doug S

« Reply #590 on: June 23, 2018, 10:10 AM »

The following provides the link to video of my indoor performance at the 33rd Wildwoods International Kite Festival, in Wildwood, NJ.  You don't need a Facebook account to view it.  Enjoy!

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1CyWztvczuv9PEYtYOPDRngNQa8i0hAq_/view?usp=sharing

Yours in kiting,

Doug

Doug S

« Reply #591 on: August 21, 2018, 07:48 AM »

Evening test flights with a new Bird of Prey 76.  This one is now on its way to a kite enthusiast in Missouri.  The plans can now be downloaded using the following link:

https://drive.google.com/drive/folders/1SJDyr--v5RzJjws2xICZ9_p1QzzXZ3OI?usp=sharing.

Please note that this size of my Bird of Prey, with a 76-inch wing span, uses a machined Delrin joiner that are custom made for me.

For all of my glider kite endeavors, the following link provides access to the main folder that contains my glider kite information, plans, articles and presentations: 

https://drive.google.com/drive/folders/0Bwj9y_lTaMmFfm9QWmZzOHpzNC0ySWp2VVBIMHJmeXJPaHZTazY4SXV4dG5NWEMtSUpJLXM?usp=sharing.

Enjoy, and if you have any questions, just send me a note.

Yours in kiting,

Doug

« Last Edit: August 21, 2018, 11:08 AM by Doug S » Logged

spence602
Trade Count: (+2)

« Reply #592 on: August 21, 2018, 05:35 PM »

Forgive me Doug for not re-reading all 40 pages, but I thought I remembered a post/picture where you had overlaid the outline of all your different kites to give a perspective of their size and shape, and I didn't see it in any of the Google Drive folders.

Did I just imagine it?

As for the wing spar joiner (machined derlin) - are those available for purchase, or could you provide a STL, OBJ, STEP, or IGES file?
« Last Edit: August 21, 2018, 05:39 PM by spence602 » Logged

Spence
Doug S

« Reply #593 on: August 21, 2018, 06:37 PM »

Good question and I never thought this thread would grow to 40 pages.  The picture you are thinking about is my comparison of my indoor Bird of Prey 36M, Raptor 36M and Viper 36M at my indoor practice venue, which is provided below.  All of the pictures and other items I have posted on this GWTW thread are located on my Google Drive, where I re-post the link on occasion so one can find the information in an organized manner.  The picture is in the folder for with Raptor pictures, since the Raptor 36M is my last glider kite design.

Regarding the Delrin joiner for the Bird of Prey 76, it was designed and machined by a kite flyer, Tom White, who became a very good friend of mine.  We live next to each other, where I'm in New Jersey and he is in California.  He makes them for me when I need them for my kites.  Tom also machined all of the aluminum pattern templates for me, which makes my builds very easy and fast for cutting out the fabric.  I was reluctant in providing the plans for the Bird of Prey 76, which I designed in 2016, because you need this joiner to complete this design.  I posted the same pictures on a few of the Facebook kite related pages, and someone asked for the plans, so I dropped them on Google Drive and provided the link.  There is a bit of load on this joiner to tension the sail along the center spine and leading edges.

Tom White also designed and machined the joiners for my Bird of Prey 96, which had three different frame sets.  The joiner angles are slightly difference for each frame set, to compensate for ability of the frame to flex when applying tension to the sail when assembled.  I was foolish two years ago this fall and flew that 96 inch wing span glider kite in 16 to 25 mph winds.  The sail, frame that was designed for light dual line stunt kites and the joiner held up great with no damage!  I didn't have the higher wind (10+ mph) frame set (3rd set) and joiner at that time.  Now I do.  Regarding the Bird of Prey 76, I used the last joiner I had for my recent build.  I reached out to my dear friend and asked for him to make more.  I don't have the file that Tom uses to machine that joiner.

As a side project, I just wrote an second article that will be published in the next issue of the AKA Kiting magazine.  The topic is bridle designs from an engineering perspective.  I cover the basic aerodynamic concepts that apply and bridle concepts for single line glider kites, single line kites and dual line stunt kites.  The magazine is out at the printer at this time.

If you have any other questions, please just drop me a note.

Yours in kiting,

Doug

« Last Edit: August 24, 2018, 01:29 PM by Doug S » Logged

Doug S

« Reply #594 on: August 23, 2018, 10:00 AM »

As an update and clarification to my prior post, only two Bird of Prey 96s were built.  One for me and one for Tom White as test beds.  Due to their size (wing span of 96 in., project sail area of 2,079 sq.in.), weight (155 grams) and glide performance (flat and fast), this size of my Bird of Prey glider kite requires a soccer size field to fly in and turn and prefers a minimum of 1 to 2 mph of wind.  It also requires a long length of stainless steel rod to obtain the desired balance.  The sail loading is in line with my other outdoor swept forward wing glider kites, so the weight for the sail area is appropriate.  I have flown the Bird of Prey 96 indoors in a large room (Wildwood Convention Center), but it was a work out due to its size (wing span).  I move a lot of flying line with big arm movements to get it to do what I like, which is second nature for me due to all the air time that I have on these type of glider kites.  Tom and I both gave this glider kite the surrogate name "The Beast".  Please note the Bird of Prey 96 does fly very well, but itís like flying a bomber, where the Bird of Prey 76 is like flying a fighter plane.

As a result of going too big with this very efficient flying glider kite design, I developed the Bird of Prey 76, which is much easier to fly indoors in a large room and outdoors.  It has a wing span of 76 in., projected sail area of 1,303 sq.in. and weight of 84 grams.  This wing span and weight make this glider kite much easier to turn and control, with more realistic arm movements.  I found this size of the Bird of Prey is easy to fly by other kite flyers and the individuals who have them love it.  Based on the above, I removed the plans for the Bird of Prey 96 from my Google Drive because I don't want to have someone invest their resources and time in building this size of my Bird of Prey and not be happy with the results.  I also removed the plans for the Bird of Prey 12 because it's just too small and fly's like a toy.  If one wants to build a small Bird of Prey, the Bird of Prey 18 is the prefect size and easy to control with a light touch.  Those who have one or have flow the Bird of Prey 18 love it.

To handle the loads of the frame to tension the sail, both the Bird of Prey 76 and 96 require a machined joiner that Tom White and I developed over several iterations, to dial in the correct angles (forward and up) to load the selected frame and obtain the desired dihedral and sail tension.  If one wishes to build a Bird of Prey 76, please let me know and we can provide the joiner at a reasonable cost.  It's also very important that you use the indicated CST DPP 0.157 in. OD carbon tubes, where other types of frame material may be too heavy, not stiff enough or not be able to handle the loads to tension the sail.  If one alters the building material or construction techniques, the indicated nose weight will need to be adjusted.  The key is to have the initial balance point at the location on the plans.   This is also applicable for any of my swept forward wing glider kites.

For the Bird of Prey 76, the center spine is cut to length after the sail is completed, so one tensions the center of the sail and the nose cap is flush with the nose of the kite.  The nose cap has a loop around the tubing guide to apply the tension to the center spine and center of the sail.  I also hand sewn the nose cap to the tip of the nose using the existing stitch holes, so the nose does not roll away due to tension on the sail.  This also helps one not misplace the nose cap when tinkering with the nose weight.

The location of the joiner along the center spine on the plans is a reference point and is dependent on how accurate you cut and match the wing spars, how accurate you build the sail, and how you mount and sew the tip and tail reinforcements.  After assembly of this glider kite, I set the joiner location to tension the sail and set the dihedral angle, where there is tension on the cross line.  On the cross line, I only tie the overhand locking knot at one end and use just the clove hitch on the other end to allow for adjustment.  After I have the kite assembled for a day with it hanging by its nose to allow the sail to settle in, I readjust as necessary the joiner location and cross line so the wing spars are at the desired location in the entrance of the wing spar sleeve and the desired amount of dihedral.  If the wing spars are pushed too far forward in the entrance to the wing spar sleeves and touching the leading edge, the sail will be too loose along the trailing edge.  If the wing spars are too far back in the entrance to the wing spar sleeves, the sail will be too tight at the trailing edge, making the kite harder to turn.  Once I have the joiner and cross line where I like, I then tie the overhand locking knot to make sure the cross line doesnít slip through the clove hitch.  I then add the reinforcement under the joiner, and if applicable, the wear patch on the face of the sail on the other side of the joiner.  This is my standard adjustment technique for all of my swept forward wing glider kites.  On the larger versions and for the cross line, I leave a 1-inch tail after the overhand locking knot at each end of the cross line, so if needed, I can untie one of the overhand locking knots and adjust the length of the cross line as necessary.  The cross-line adjustment is very sensitive and a small change in its length can make a large difference in the dihedral angle.

Yours in kiting,

Doug
« Last Edit: August 24, 2018, 10:13 AM by Doug S » Logged

Doug S

« Reply #595 on: August 30, 2018, 07:35 AM »

Some have asked about my Bird of Prey 76 Patriotic Eagle, which is a more complex graphic when compared to my Bird of Prey 76. The attached pictures show this version of my swept forward wing glider kite.  Based on the interest, the following link provides access to the plans for the Bird of Prey 76 Patriotic Eagle:

https://drive.google.com/drive/folders/1fW0rlk8UCPeic-pcFd4xwVIVgQh4D8Gj?usp=sharing

As you can see in the plans, this is a more complex build when compared to the Bird of Prey 76, which is why I came up with this simpler version of my glider kite with a 76-inch wing span.  Both of these Bird of Prey glider kites fly the same.

Also, I revised the Bird of Prey 76 plans to represent how I am actually completing the nose end of the center spine, which is flush with the nose of the sail. The nose completion is identical to the Bird of Prey 76 Patriotic Eagle.  The plans for the Bird of Prey 76 have been updated and accessed using the same link as before, which is provided below:

https://drive.google.com/drive/folders/1SJDyr--v5RzJjws2xICZ9_p1QzzXZ3OI?usp=sharing

Both of these glider kites require the use of a machined Delrin Joiner that Tom White and I developed.  I can provide a joiner at a reasonable cost.  Please note that I do build these and my other swept forward wing glider kites for other glider kiting enthuses on request.

Yours in kiting,

Doug

« Last Edit: August 30, 2018, 07:37 AM by Doug S » Logged

Doug S

« Reply #596 on: September 10, 2018, 07:46 AM »

The prototype for my Raptor 48F glider kite, with the 24 panels glued together and stitched. Next is to hem the edges, add the wing spar sleeves and reinforcements, and then frame.   White pin-striping will be added to accent the charcoal cockpit panel.  Should have it done and test flown in time for the 4th Annual LBI FLY International Kite Festival.

Yours in kiting,

Doug

Doug S

« Reply #597 on: September 17, 2018, 02:24 PM »

My Raptor 48F is done.  Balance point is dialed in and test flights were great!  Look forward to more air time on this 48 in. wing span glider kite, with 539 sq.in. of projected sail area and at a weight of 30.6 grams.

Yours in kiting.

Doug

Pages: 1 ... 39 [40]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Support the GWTW Forum

Kite Classifieds Ad
Kite Classifieds

A Wind Of Change
A Wind Of Change

FMKS
Fly Market

A Wind Of Change
skyshark

Blue Moon
Blue Moon Kites

Our forum is made possible by the good folks whose ads appear above and by the members of our community (PayPal donation button at top)
In case you missed it each ad is linked to the sponsors web site.  So please, take a moment and visit our sponsors sites as this forum wouldn't be possible with out them.
Interested in running an ad for your business or kiting event?  Contact Steve at advertise.gwtwkites@gmail.com for a quote.

Cal Custom