GWTW Forum
October 23, 2014, 10:27 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Forum Info Login Register Chat  
Welcome to the GWTW Forum.
Guests (non-registered users) can view the forum but are unable to post.  If you don't have anything to say then why would you bother to register?
One of the most popular sections of the GWTW Forum has long been the Swap Meet.  A great place to sell old, seldom flown kites or to get great deals on used (gently flown) kites.  Only registered users can see the Swap Meet section, let alone wheel and deal.  1000's (literally) of kites have changed hands thanks to the Swap Meet.
There are several more benefits to being a registered user, but you'll have to join our little community to find out all the "secrets".
Questions or concerns? Contact Steve ... just drop an email to: forum.gwtwkites@gmail.com

Pages: 1 ... 15 [16]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Doug Stout's Arrow Canard build (split off from the Stunt kite design tool)  (Read 33468 times)
Doug S
Trade Count: (0)

« Reply #225 on: August 21, 2014, 08:04 PM »

Dear Fellow Glider Kite Enthusiasts,

The following provides the links to my Bird of Prey 36 made with Cuben Fabric.  For ultra-light gliding, this one is my favorite.  Enjoy!

Links to Plans:

•   Bird of Prey 36 – Specifications Plan (Updated September 22, 2014):  https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B_TPx1W-lkmSQ2xhQ3dEeDBHTzA/edit?usp=sharing

•   Bird of Prey 36 – Pattern for Cuben Fabric Plan:  https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B_TPx1W-lkmSUU4zRXlPcFZxcFE/edit?usp=sharing

Links to Pictures:

•   Bird of Prey 36 – Nose and Nose Weight Picture:  https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B_TPx1W-lkmScUJRWlVJSTlfQnc/edit?usp=sharing

•   Bird of Prey 36 – Center Joiner Picture:  https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B_TPx1W-lkmSNnRwcU5Ec2ctZFU/edit?usp=sharing

•   Bird of Prey 36 – Right Tip and Batten Picture:  https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B_TPx1W-lkmSa2dMOXdhX2dfRWc/edit?usp=sharing

•   Bird of Prey 36 – Tail Picture:  https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B_TPx1W-lkmSbkt5TWR4WnQ0LWM/edit?usp=sharing

Yours in kiting,

Doug
« Last Edit: September 26, 2014, 08:19 AM by Doug S » Logged

"We never really grow up, we only learn how to act in public."
Doug S

« Reply #226 on: August 22, 2014, 07:21 AM »

The posts with the Bird of Prey 24 and 36 plans now have the links for pictures to help you build the kite, if you so desire.  Also, I made minor changes to the construction plans for both kites, so if you previously downloaded the plans, please do so again.  On the Bird of Prey 24, I changed the stitching lines for the nose and tail to a dashed lines.  On the Bird of Prey 36, I added the missing stop below the center joiner, and updated the list of materials accordingly.
Grin

Yours in kiting,

Doug
« Last Edit: August 22, 2014, 12:39 PM by Doug S » Logged

Doug S

« Reply #227 on: September 01, 2014, 08:44 PM »

The attached picture is of Art's custom Bird of Prey 48.  Art also will be receiving a Bird of Prey 24 and 36.  Delivery is tomorrow.

Later,

Doug

Doug S

« Reply #228 on: September 01, 2014, 08:48 PM »

The attached picture is of Art's Bird of Prey 24 and 36.

Later,

Doug

stapp59
Trade Count: (+5)

« Reply #229 on: September 02, 2014, 04:17 AM »

They look nice Doug!

Steve in Indiana
http://picasaweb.google.com/stapp59

Fly so it looks like you meant it
Doug S

« Reply #230 on: September 02, 2014, 07:49 AM »

Steve,

Thank you.  I am going to miss Art's three Birds of Prey (BOP) hanging in my workshop for a period of time, due to the problems with my Singer 645.  I stitched the zigzag on Art's BOP 48 with my wife's machine, then finished his kite with my Singer 604.  Attached is another picture of Art's BOP 48.  I have the replacement top end gear for my Singer 645, and will try and find out why the machine is binding when the zigzag cam is engaged.

I test fly each of my builds before providing them to their new owners.  I test flew Art's BOP 48 yesterday and I have one word to describe the flight:  Wow!  I really like how these glider kites perform, but I am a little bias.  Cheesy

Later,

Doug
« Last Edit: September 02, 2014, 07:52 AM by Doug S » Logged

atbflyer
Trade Count: (+6)

« Reply #231 on: September 02, 2014, 05:15 PM »

Picked the kites up tonight.
Wow, incredible workmanship! And attention to detail.
Cant wait till vacation next week to get these some flying time.

Doug is a super nice person to deal with and ask questions.
Look forward to the next idea...
Thanks
Art
Doug S

« Reply #232 on: September 02, 2014, 06:06 PM »

Art,

You are welcome. Grin

Doug

Doug S

« Reply #233 on: September 03, 2014, 04:30 PM »

I just revised the links to access the updated specification plans for the Bird of Prey 24, 36 and 48.  The update to each plan was very minor, as indicated below:

•   Bird of Prey 24 - Added the small Cuben reinforcement to the area where the wing spars enter the wing spar sleeves.

•   Bird of Prey 36 - Added the small Cuben reinforcement to the area where the wing spars enter the wing spar sleeves.

•   Bird of Prey 48 - Replaced the two values for the length of the wing spars with the single value of 25 1/8 inches.

Yours in kiting,

Doug

Doug S

« Reply #234 on: September 09, 2014, 02:45 PM »

Just finished and printed out the sail template patterns for a 96 inch wing span version of my Bird of Prey.  The wing span was selected to allow a full 32.5 inch wrapped tapered carbon tube to be used for the outer wing spar, from the aerodynamic center for each panel to the associated wing tip.  The center of the joiner to connect the inner and outer wing spars will be the attachment point for the wing spar line, which provides the dihedral for this kite.  I will make the kite using six colors of PC31 over the 16 various panels.  I have decided to use the attached pattern/color layout.  As with the BOP 48 and 62 using this layout, I will add white pin stripping to accent the simulated cockpit.  This will be my fall construction project and fun to build.  Looking at the printed out template patterns, this is one big glider kite.  Grin

Update:  After sleeping on it, increased the wing span to 96 inches (a full 8 feet) as indicated above.  I like even numbers and have room at the tips for the extra distance.  Cheesy

Later,

Doug
« Last Edit: September 10, 2014, 03:40 AM by Doug S » Logged

Doug S

« Reply #235 on: September 26, 2014, 08:31 AM »

I just revised the link to access the updated specification plan for the Bird of Prey 36.  The updates to the plan were minor, as indicated below:

•   The PC-31 inserts for the tip battens were correct in the drawing, but too long in the template.  Revised the template, which inserts are the same size as for the Bird of Prey 24.

•   The length of the stops is 1/16 inches that were correct in the drawing, but not in the description.  Revised the text under the Material List for the stops.

The attached picture is of a Bird of Prey 24 and 36 Ultralights that I just completed.  The Bird of Prey 24 is for Steve Hall, as a thank you for this great Forum.  The Bird of Prey 36 is for a glider flyer in Washington State.  I hope they enjoy them. Grin

Yours in kiting,

Doug

stapp59
Trade Count: (+5)

« Reply #236 on: September 27, 2014, 05:49 AM »

Sooo how many have you built now?  Tongue

Steve in Indiana
http://picasaweb.google.com/stapp59

Fly so it looks like you meant it
Doug S

« Reply #237 on: September 27, 2014, 07:20 AM »

Steve,

Good question.  As of this week, I have built 25 Birds of Prey, with 11 for me and 14 for other glider kite enthusiasts.  I will start the new BOP 96 in the near future, which will be my 12th one for me (No. 26).  I need to pick up some more PC31.

I test fly each BOP before sending them to their new homes.  It’s a little hard letting each one leave the nest because they each fly so well, but I am a little biased.  I test flew the last two BOPs last night with the front light on and had a blast!  Grin

FYI, I have built 60 glider kites since August 18, 2010, when I became interested in this type of kiting, with 38 for me and 22 for other glider kite enthusiasts.  I am a little addicted to this type of kiting.  Cheesy

Later,

Doug
« Last Edit: September 27, 2014, 10:04 AM by Doug S » Logged

Doug S

« Reply #238 on: October 14, 2014, 02:19 PM »

Just completed an ultra-light BOP 36 for me that just went to a good home in upstate New York.  Enjoy it Bob.

Have started building another ultra-light BOP 36 for me this week.  I have the patterns for the BOP 96 done.  Just need to order more PC31.

Got the itch to build a PC31 version of the BOP 36 to fly in low to moderate winds outside.  Have three sets of patterns to choose from.  A simple one with 4 panels and straight seams, a smaller version of the Bird Pattern with 5 panels, and the Fighter Pattern I will use for the BOP 96 that has 16 panels.  To have more than one color and accent the shape of the kite, but keep the weight down, I have decided to use the Bird Pattern.  Have the PC31 cutout and will begin sewing it this week.

The attached picture is of the BOP 36s in construction, with the PC31 one on the left and the Cuben one on the right.

Later,

Doug
« Last Edit: October 19, 2014, 09:40 AM by Doug S » Logged

Pages: 1 ... 15 [16]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

items purchased through the links below help support the forum

Cal Custom

Our forum is made possible by the good folks whose ads appear below and by the members of our community (PayPal donation button at bottom)
In case you missed it each ad is linked to the sponsors web site.  So please, take a moment and visit our sponsors sites as this forum wouldn't be possible with out them.
Interested in running an ad for your business or kiting event?  Contact Steve at advertise.gwtwkites@gmail.com for a quote.

kmacFab
kmacFab

Kite Classifieds Ad
Kite Classifieds

A Wind Of Change
A Wind Of Change

Kitebookie
Kitebookie.com

Untitled Document

Untitled Document
Untitled Document

A Wind Of Change