GWTW Forum
December 16, 2017, 06:27 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Forum Info Login Register Chat  
Welcome to the GWTW Forum.
Guests (non-registered users) can view the forum but are unable to post.  If you don't have anything to say then why would you bother to register?
One of the most popular sections of the GWTW Forum has long been the Swap Meet.  A great place to sell old, seldom flown kites or to get great deals on used (gently flown) kites.  Only registered users can see the Swap Meet section, let alone wheel and deal.  1000's (literally) of kites have changed hands thanks to the Swap Meet.
There are several more benefits to being a registered user, but you'll have to join our little community to find out all the "secrets".
Questions or concerns? Contact Steve ... just drop an email to: forum.gwtwkites@gmail.com

Pages: 1 ... 38 [39]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Doug Stout's Arrow Canard build (split off from the Stunt kite design tool)  (Read 273959 times)
jaydub
Trade Count: (0)

« Reply #570 on: May 13, 2017, 04:32 PM »

Love the blues!!!

Seconded.
Doug S

« Reply #571 on: May 15, 2017, 12:32 PM »

For your information, an article regarding my development of swept forward glider kites will be published in the next edition of AKA Kiting.  It will include the plans for my Viper 36M.  Once this issue of Kiting is released, I will post the link for the Viper 36M plans.

Sincerely,

Doug
« Last Edit: May 19, 2017, 08:26 AM by Doug S » Logged

"We never really grow up, we only learn how to act in public."
Doug S

« Reply #572 on: May 26, 2017, 06:37 AM »

The following link provides access to my folder with the plans for the Viper 36M.  If you choose to download the plans, please made a contribution to this great forum! 

Viper 36M Plans
https://drive.google.com/drive/folders/0Bwj9y_lTaMmFdW95YVJUTkZSYlE?usp=sharing

To show you how the Viper 36M performs, the following link provides access to a video of me flying the Viper 36M at my local indoor venue.  During the filming, the HVAC system was on, which was gently pushing the air downward.   The Viper 36M cut through this downward air without a problem.

Viper 36M Video
https://drive.google.com/file/d/0Bwj9y_lTaMmFSVpGdW1FRFhrTDg/view?usp=sharing

I will be attending the Sky Art Kite Festival at Liberty State Park in Jersey City, NJ on Saturday May 27, 2017.  I also will be attending the Wildwood International Kite Festival in Wildwood, NJ on Monday May 29, 2017 for the Indoor Competition, where I will be flying my Viper 36M.  If you can make either of these events, it would be great to see you there.

For those of us living in the USA, may you and your family have a great Memorial Day Weekend!

Yours in kiting,

Doug
« Last Edit: May 26, 2017, 07:07 AM by Doug S » Logged

coogee

« Reply #573 on: May 28, 2017, 02:14 AM »

Nice flying spot Doug!

Kite looks good.

Mike
Doug S

« Reply #574 on: May 30, 2017, 02:52 PM »

On Saturday May 27, 2017, I attended and performed demonstrations at the Sky Art Kite Festival.  The festival was held at Liberty State Park in Jersey City, NJ on May 27 and 28, 2017.  A big thank you to Kurtis Jones for setting up and running this festival, and all the other kite flyers who attended and helped out.  The following provides some pictures from Saturday at the festival, for your enjoyment.  Kurtis also posted a number of pictures from both days of the event on his Facebook Page.

Yours in kiting,

Doug

Bird of Prey 76 Patriotic Eagle, Statue of Liberty in the background - Picture by Scott Weider.

Bird of Prey 76 Patriotic Eagle with me on the flying line, Statue of Liberty in the background - Picture by Scott Weider.

Raptor-MF Dual Line 8-Foot Stunt Kite with a 100 Foot Tail - I made this stunt kite in 1996.
At the request of Kurtis Jones, I opened the festival on Saturday with this performance.

Raptor-MF and Raptor-F Dual Line 8-Foot Stunt Kites in the Pit Area.

A few pictures from Saturday.

« Last Edit: May 30, 2017, 03:11 PM by Doug S » Logged

oldflyer
Trade Count: (+8)

« Reply #575 on: May 31, 2017, 03:13 AM »

Superb photos! Thanks for sharing them!  Smiley
Doug S

« Reply #576 on: May 31, 2017, 07:35 AM »

Wing Spar Sleeve – New Reinforcement

The following link provides access to my Google Drive folder, which contains the updated plans for the Bird of Prey 36, 36B and 36M.  When I assembled one of my Bird of Prey 36Ms for a recent festival, I noticed a small tear in the Cuben fabric where the wing spar enters the wing spar pocket.  It appears with the last batch of white Cuben fabric, the fabric is a little more fragile than the old orange Cuben fabric, especially where the fibers are spaced apart.  To resolve this weak point, I modified the reinforcement in this area to also include the entire opening of the wing spar sleeve, as indicated in the attached plans.  The reinforcement is added to this area of the wing, before you fold over and bond the wing spar sleeve pocket, so the reinforcement is on the inside of the wing spar sleeve at the opening.  For mine with the tear, I will add a smaller version of this reinforcement to the external back side of the wing spar sleeve at the opening.  On the versions of the Bird of Prey made from PC31, the wing spar pocket is folder over and bonded at the entrance to the wing spar sleeve.

https://drive.google.com/drive/folders/0Bwj9y_lTaMmFcDBrcm8tQXRSdTg?usp=sharing

Tail Pocket - Repair

On the Bird of Prey 36s made from Cuben fabric, a few of us have had the center spine work its way through the tail reinforcement/pocket.  This is due to the pressure the wing spars place on the narrow diameter center spine and in turn the pocket, when this glider kite is assembled.  Along the horizontal portion of the pocket, I was using three hand stitches, one in the center and one on each side.  To prevent the pesky center spine from escaping through the tail pocket, I added an extra hand stitch between the center and the side, on each side of the pocket.  It is one loop that is tied it off on the back side of the kite with a surgical knot.  Please check your glider kite to see if you are having this issue, where the sail appears to be loose along the center spine and the wing spars are not tensioning the sail correctly.  If you have this issue with one of my builds or one of your own, please make this very easy repair.  I did this upgrade on all of my Bird of Prey 36s.

Yours in kiting,

Doug

Doug S

« Reply #577 on: June 01, 2017, 01:38 PM »

The following link provides access to the new flyer for my Bird of Prey and Viper Glider Kites, which I revised in October 2017.  A picture of the flyer is attached below.

https://drive.google.com/drive/folders/0Bwj9y_lTaMmFQzQ5RTB1Q2ZhUVk?usp=sharing

Yours in kiting,

Doug

« Last Edit: October 16, 2017, 09:52 AM by Doug S » Logged

thief
Global Moderator
Trade Count: (+30)

« Reply #578 on: June 07, 2017, 10:41 AM »

not certain how it was called the 1st Annual festival..but some good shots of Doug S and his BoP here https://youtu.be/9fX9rRPS_zo?t=31

Kites kayaks & corgis again!!!
Doug S

« Reply #579 on: June 07, 2017, 02:29 PM »

Thief,

Thank you for share the link.  It looks like Kurtis spliced together the various pictures Scott Weider shot, while Scott had me fly back and forth, and low to the ground with my Bird of Prey 76 Patriotic Eagle and the Statue of Liberty in the background.  It was a great day of kite flying!

Yours in kiting,

Doug
« Last Edit: June 07, 2017, 02:36 PM by Doug S » Logged

Doug S

« Reply #580 on: September 14, 2017, 03:06 PM »

Sorry I haven't posted in a while.  It's been a busy summer with family and friends.  Saw my son, Steve, perform with the band Lifehouse in Philidelphia PA, Boston MA and Asbury Park NJ, while they were co-headlining with Switchfoot during their "Looking for Summer Tour."  Steve is the lead guitarist/backup singer for Lifehouse.  For us, it was the most memorable week of our summer!

Built a few glider kites for myself and others since my last post.  I also finished the four René Maier Heart Kites (Red, Blue, White and Purple) I started awhile ago, which fly great as a single or in a stack.

The following provides some of the more interesting glider kites I recently finished.

Bird of Prey 48 for Mike Klaiber - Very Colorful

Bird of Prey 76 for Peter Dolphin - All White with a Black Nose - Panels are a combination of my Bird of Prey 76 and my Bird of Prey 76 PE
Peter's Bird of Prey 76 also has three white 15 foot long, 1 inch wide tails, which attach at the wing tips and tail.

Since the Wildwood, NJ Kite Festival, I have been tinkering with a new Indoor Glider Kite, which is between the Bird of Prey and the Viper.  This new glider kite is called the Raptor.  I'm recycling my favorite kite names from my 1990s stunt kite designs.  I was looking for the smooth stability of the Viper 36M with the quick responsiveness of the Bird of Prey 36M.  Currently in the evaluation phase, but the Raptor looks to be a keeper and I may use it at the AKA Nationals in October.  So far I have built an 18 and two 36Ms.

Bird of Prey 18 (Bottom Center), Viper 18 (Upper Left and Raptor 18 (Upper Right) - My Family Room Glider Kite Air Force

Viper 36Ms - Black Nose (Left) and White Nose (Right) Versions

Yours in kiting,

Doug
« Last Edit: September 15, 2017, 07:20 AM by Doug S » Logged

Doug S

« Reply #581 on: October 16, 2017, 09:40 AM »

For those of you who may be interested, the following link provides access to the presentation I gave on Thursday morning at the 2017 AKA Convention, on Glider Kite Aerodynamics and Tuning Techniques.  This an updated presentation from the one I gave in April 2016.

https://drive.google.com/file/d/0Bwj9y_lTaMmFQ01MOE5yREk4Q2M/view?usp=sharing

Yours in kiting,

Doug
« Last Edit: October 16, 2017, 09:51 AM by Doug S » Logged

Doug S

« Reply #582 on: October 26, 2017, 08:04 AM »

The following picture shows three of my ultra-light swept forward wing glider kites out for some indoor fun!

The Bird of Prey 36M is on top, has the least amount of forward wing sweep and shortest center.  The Bird of Prey, with a projected wing area of 292 sq.in., is my original swept forward wing glider kite, where this size was introduced in March 2014.  Viper 36M is on the bottom, has the most amount of wing sweep and longest center.  The Viper 36M, with a project wing area of 321 sq.in., was introduced in March 2017 to provide a more stable flying platform for indoor conditions with active HVAC systems that cause unique air movement, such as at the Smithsonian Air and Space Museum in Washington DC.  The Raptor 36M is in the middle, and is a blend of the Bird of Prey 36M and Viper 36M performance attributes.  The two Raptor prototypes, with project wing areas of 303 sq.in., were completed in early September 2017.  The black nose version was debut in October 2017 at the 3rd Annual LBI International Kite Festival and the 2017 AKA Nationals indoor competitions.  I am pleased with the performance results for this new ultra-light glider kite.  I used the black nose version of the Raptor 36M at a weight of 8.2 grams for these two events, where the nose panel uses black Cuben at 1.0 oz./sq.yd.

For the white nose versions, the Bird of Prey 36M weighs 7.5 grams, the Raptor 36M weighs 8.6 grams and the Viper 36M weighs 9.0 grams.  The white Cuben is 1.43 oz./sq.yd. for the nose panels.  The blue Cuben is 0.51 oz./sq.yd for the mid panels and the ultra-light white Cuben is 0.34 oz./sq.yd. for the tail and wing panels.  The wing loading (weight/project wing area) on all three are about the same, which normalizes this performance attribute.  The center spine and wing spars in each glider kite are CST Composites DPP 0.059 in. OD carbon tubes.  The battens are 0.01 CST Composites DPP 0.01 carbon rods.

As indicated in my presentation workshop at the 2017 AKA Nationals, the forward wing sweep, the associated washout angle at the wing tips (movement of the fabric at the trailing edge) and the length of the center contribute to the handling characteristic indicated in my response provided above.  With an optimized bridle, the turn radius is about the same between these three indoor glider kites.  This evening, I was tinkering with a slightly shorter bridle on the Raptor 36M, while using the Bird of Prey 36M and Viper 36M as my point of reference.  With the initial bridle on the Raptor 36M, the response to line commands was gentle.  The new slightly shorter bridle increased the responsiveness of the Raptor 36M, which is what I was looking for, and the responsiveness is now between the Bird of Prey 36M and Viper 36M.

Yours in kiting,

Doug

Doug S

« Reply #583 on: November 22, 2017, 05:15 PM »

For those of us in the USA, may you have a happy and safe Thanksgiving with your families.  To celebrate this holiday, I am pleased to provide the following as my gift to you.

UPDATED AND NEW PLANS

The following provides the links to the folders on my Google Drive, which contain the updated plans for my glider kites.  The following also includes the plans for my new Raptor 36M, which I used in competition at the 3rd Annual LBI International Kite Festival and the 2017 AKA Nationals/Convention.  The updated plans included refined bridles, which are discussed below.

Bird of Prey 18 Plans
https://drive.google.com/drive/folders/0Bwj9y_lTaMmFWjYxNWtrWHpMTjQ?usp=sharing

Bird of Prey 36, 36B and 36M Plans
https://drive.google.com/drive/folders/0Bwj9y_lTaMmFcDBrcm8tQXRSdTg?usp=sharing

Viper 36M Plans
https://drive.google.com/drive/folders/0Bwj9y_lTaMmFdW95YVJUTkZSYlE?usp=sharing

New Raptor 36M Plans
https://drive.google.com/drive/folders/1Vz3nn43LYbb9JeF2A-AH2UH7vpXBP-Ff?usp=sharing

BRIDLE EVALUATION AND REFINEMENTS

Since the 2017 AKA Nationals/Convention in Ocean City, Maryland, I have been tinkering with the bridles on my three-indoor competition swept forward wing glider kites, the Raptor 36M, Viper 36M and Bird of Prey 36/36M.  I enjoy trying to squeeze every gram of performance out of these glider kites.

I performed this evaluation after receiving feedback from a few gifted indoor kite flyers, who flew my new Raptor 36M in October 2017 at LBI and AKA Nationals/Convention.  They preferred the handling characteristics of my Viper 36M over the Raptor 36M, which had me initially confused.  The Raptor 36M is a blend of my more response Bird of Prey 36M and my more stable Viper 36M.  Based on this, the Raptor 36M responsiveness should fall between these two glider kites, but it was less responsive than my Viper 36M.  Since I have been flying these type of glider kites for three years, sometimes I am too close to the subject matter and tend to work around any minor control limitations without knowing it.  I am very sensitive to the glide slope and speed, which are easy to spot when they are not what I like.

For the Raptor 36M, I tested a few new fixed bridle lengths and was seeing control response improvement.  I actually went too far the other way.  Based on this feedback, I made an adjustable bridle for my Raptor 36M, Viper 36M and Bird of Prey 36M, where I could change the length of the bridle in ¼-inch increments using 7 knots, with the center knot (knot 4) being the starting point.  With each setting, I adjusted the location of the bridle loop so when tensioned, the bridle line from the front connection point to the bridle loop would be 90 degrees to the center spine.  With the bridle loop at this location, having a 90-degree angle to the center spine, my glider kites provide the best balance of tracking during climbs where the full bridle is tensioned, and response to line commands when the glider kite is overhead or flying 90 degrees to me, when the rear part of the bridle is not tensioned.  Please note this 90-degree preference only works on swept forward wing glider kites, because the neutral point and center of gravity are much closer to the nose of these glider kites, when compared to conventional swept back wing glider kites.  As part of the evaluation, I have five performance criteria to determine if the bridle is allowing me to control the glider kite to my liking, which are listed below:

• Tracking from climb, to overhead, then into a power dive.
  • 360-degree flight a few inches off the floor.
  • Consecutive snap 360 degree turns at eye height.
  • Figure eight turns at 15 plus feet at eye height.
  • Turn response at 15 plus feet directly above my head.

During the evaluation process, I found a narrow range of bridle lengths (1 to 2 knots) that provided me with the best balance of flight characteristics.  I evaluated the results and refined the angle from the center of gravity to the location of the bridle loop and total bridle length.  I revised the adjustable bridle on each glider kite so the center knot (4th of 7) is using this new length.

My findings indicate my Raptor 36M, which I used in competition at LBI and the AKA Nationals, had a bridle that was a little too long by about 0.32 inches, with the bridle loop a little too far back by about 0.35 inches.  This initial bridle provided a greater angle, which in turn caused a slower response to line commands.  With the new bridle, the Raptor 36M is now more responsive to light line commands.  The original bridle for the Viper 36M bridle was very close to the new length.  The bridle on my original Bird of Prey 36M appears to have the angle very close to the new angle, but the length was a little too long.  With the new bridle, the Bird of Prey 36M is slightly more response to light line commands.

I also conducted the bridle analysis on my Bird of Prey 18, Raptor 18 and Viper 18.  The updated plans included a refined bridle for the Bird of Prey 18.  The Raptor 18 and Viper 18 are flying much better with their new bridles, but these two glider kites are still under evaluation.

Yours in kiting,

Doug
« Last Edit: December 14, 2017, 10:10 AM by Doug S » Logged

Pages: 1 ... 38 [39]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Support the GWTW Forum

Kite Classifieds Ad
Kite Classifieds

A Wind Of Change
A Wind Of Change

FMKS
Fly Market

A Wind Of Change
skyshark

Blue Moon
Blue Moon Kites

Our forum is made possible by the good folks whose ads appear above and by the members of our community (PayPal donation button at top)
In case you missed it each ad is linked to the sponsors web site.  So please, take a moment and visit our sponsors sites as this forum wouldn't be possible with out them.
Interested in running an ad for your business or kiting event?  Contact Steve at advertise.gwtwkites@gmail.com for a quote.

Cal Custom