GWTW Forum
October 31, 2014, 12:18 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Forum Info Login Register Chat  
Welcome to the GWTW Forum.
Guests (non-registered users) can view the forum but are unable to post.  If you don't have anything to say then why would you bother to register?
One of the most popular sections of the GWTW Forum has long been the Swap Meet.  A great place to sell old, seldom flown kites or to get great deals on used (gently flown) kites.  Only registered users can see the Swap Meet section, let alone wheel and deal.  1000's (literally) of kites have changed hands thanks to the Swap Meet.
There are several more benefits to being a registered user, but you'll have to join our little community to find out all the "secrets".
Questions or concerns? Contact Steve ... just drop an email to: forum.gwtwkites@gmail.com

Pages: 1 [2] 3 ... 17   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Doug Stout's Arrow Canard build (split off from the Stunt kite design tool)  (Read 34691 times)
Bob D
Trade Count: (+1)

« Reply #15 on: December 15, 2012, 04:42 AM »

Doug: You have to tell us how it flies! Your kites are very cool!

Bob D.
Doug S
Trade Count: (0)

« Reply #16 on: January 12, 2013, 09:02 AM »

Had a little delay over the holidays in building the new Rapare Canard, due to the family and I being hit with the Flu the day after Christmas.  Embarrassed  While recovering, I designed and built a couch potato kite, which I named the Hawk.  It is fun to fly in the house and in my front yard.  Grin  The attached picture provides my current flock of Hawks.

The Hawk has a wing span of 24 inches and 16 inches long.  The red and blue ones are made with newer polyester sail material and each weigh 8.3 grams, while the grey one is made from old rectangular grid Icrex polyester sail material and weighs 7.8 grams.  These three kites are framed with 0.04 inch carbon rods for the wing spars and spreader, with a 0.05 inch carbon rod center spine.  The two tone red/blue one on the end weighs 9.9 grams and is framed with 0.05 inch carbon rods for the wing spars and spreader, with a 0.06 inch carbon rod center spine.  The extra weight is due to the extra stitching and larger diameter carbon rods.  This one is made to handle higher winds.

I tried making the first Hawk with white Orcon and tape, and failed miserably.  I hand cutout the Orcon, but when taping the first leading edge, the material ripped between one of the grid cells.  I went back to what I am good at, which is ripstop polyester and my old Singer Sewing Machine.

Since small is good, then smaller must be great.  I have two Little Hawks on the work table that each have a wing span of only 12 inches and 8 inches long.  I will build these two this weekend.  Next week I will begin the Rapare Canard.

Doug

[attachment deleted by admin]
« Last Edit: July 10, 2013, 12:15 PM by Doug S » Logged

"We never really grow up, we only learn how to act in public."
mikenchico
Board Moderator

« Reply #17 on: January 13, 2013, 09:24 AM »

Any chance of posting up a quick drawing of these? Steve is enjoying flying his iFlight in rehab and getting a little attention drawn to kites as a low impact therapy from some of the nurses and therapists. A bit more variety in his bag might draw a bit more interest.

I happen to have some of the older Icarex laying around and some smaller carbon purchased for unfinished projects. Otherwise Ted has access to the palatial GWTW repair warehouse where I might find what I need.

« Last Edit: January 13, 2013, 09:31 AM by mikenchico » Logged

"Living is easy with eyes closed, misunderstanding all you see" John W Lennon

"People do not quit playing because they grow old, they grow old because they quit playing" George Bernard Shaw
Doug S

« Reply #18 on: January 13, 2013, 05:41 PM »

Mike,

I just sent you an E-Mail with the requested design, and pictures of the construction details.

Doug

thief
Board Moderator
Trade Count: (+25)

« Reply #19 on: January 13, 2013, 05:56 PM »

Hey Doug, can you share it with me as well?
Thanks!

Kites kayaks & corgis again!!!
Doug S

« Reply #20 on: January 13, 2013, 06:13 PM »

I just sent you an E-Mail with the requested design, and pictures of the construction details.

Doug

mikenchico
Board Moderator

« Reply #21 on: January 14, 2013, 08:09 AM »

Thanks Doug, I visited Steve a couple times over the weekend, he's comfortable with the iFlight in the room or rec room, but concerned about a larger kite appearing more threatening to others. The staff originally felt the answer to his question about flying inside would be no, but upon seeing the iFlight, the short line & wand used and the slow glide he got a thumbs up for now, at least until he hits somebody (not likely).

But I'll be checking them out, hopefully get one together, your smaller 12" x 8" is only a bit larger then the iFlight if I can find a light plastic bag and not run into your problems trying to tape things. I haven't got much experience working with lastic & tape either.

"People do not quit playing because they grow old, they grow old because they quit playing" George Bernard Shaw
Doug S

« Reply #22 on: January 14, 2013, 08:57 AM »

Mike,

I am currently building the prototype for the Little Hawk.  If it flys the way I like, I will get you a copy of the plans.  I am making mine with the old grey Icrex.

Doug
« Last Edit: July 10, 2013, 12:16 PM by Doug S » Logged

mikenchico
Board Moderator

« Reply #23 on: January 14, 2013, 09:54 AM »

Cool, I've been running some possible construction techniques using a plastic film to try and keep things very light & floaty like the iFlight. But I'll look forward to hearing how an Icarex version does at that size. I'm comfortable working with it and have Scotch 9460 tape so I would just go no-sew. I used to build fighters that way in a couple hours after dinner at the beach on a 36" round table with a pile of newspapers for a cutting surface, an Exacto knife and a 18"straight edge. I have real tools here  Wink

Doug S

« Reply #24 on: January 14, 2013, 02:13 PM »

Mike,

Check your E-Mail.  I sent you the prototype drawings for the Little Hawk.  I should have my prototype done by the weekend.

Doug
« Last Edit: July 10, 2013, 12:16 PM by Doug S » Logged

Doug S

« Reply #25 on: January 18, 2013, 06:52 AM »

Mike,

I finished my prototype of the Little Hawk late last night.  The attached picture shows the Little Hawk next to the 24 in. Hawk.  The Little Hawk has a wing span of 12 in. and length of 8 in.  Old grey Icrex was used for the sail material.  The finished Little Hawk weighs 2 grams.  The wing spars are each 5 1/2 in. long and the spreader is 7 7/8 in. long, where both are made from 0.03 in. carbon rods.  The center spine is 8 1/8 in. long and made from a 0.04 in. carbon rod.  A 1/16 in. ID vinyl end cap was used for the nose of the center spine.  Black Dacron was used for the sail reinforcements.  Double sided tape was used to place the Dacron circles in the three locations where the lines go through the sail, and then a small washer was used as a template to hot cut the holes with a fine tip soldering iron.  The leading edges and the other Dacron reinforcements were sewn in place.  35 lb. spectra line was used for the various lines and 80 lb. spectra line was used to tie the center spine end cap to the nose.  The 35 lb. spectra line loops to connect the spreader to the wing spars are each 3/4 in. long, where a larks head knot was used around the wing spar, and then around the tip of the spreader.  The bridle is 5 1/2 in. long where it exits the sail at the two connection points.  The leader line is 6 in. long from the bridle to the knot at the end.  The spreader is 5/8 in. off of the sail at the center spine.  The 1/16 in. long stops on the wing spars (2 stops) and the spreader (2 stops at each end, 2 stops in the center) were carefully stripped from a piece of black insulated copper electrical wire.  A hat pin was used to open the hole in the insulation just enough to fit on the carbon rods.  The black insulation was crazy glued in place on the wing spars and the ends of the spreader.

It was a blast to build a kite this small, especially tying the numerous small knots.  I will dial the kite in this weekend and determine the sweet spot for the center of gravity (CG) that is 3 5/8 in. from the nose, which is slightly tail heavy at this location.  This morning, I added a very small paper clip to the nose and the Little Hawk glided across the room like a great paper airplane.   I also may try using just a 1 in. loop to connect to the bridle instead of the leader line and see how that works.  I will update the plans based on this prototype and my testing this weekend.

On my next version, I will make the tail reinforcement a little narrower.  I used the smallest carbon rods I have in stock, which are 0.03 in.  The current frame in the Little Hawk is more than stiff enough.  I need to acquire some 0.02 in. carbon rods and more 0.03 in. carbon rods to see how that works out.

Enjoy,

Doug

« Last Edit: July 10, 2013, 12:17 PM by Doug S » Logged

Doug S

« Reply #26 on: January 18, 2013, 09:48 AM »

Mike,

The following provides a picture of just the Little Hawk.

Doug

« Last Edit: July 10, 2013, 12:17 PM by Doug S » Logged

sugarbaker
Trade Count: (+7)

« Reply #27 on: January 18, 2013, 12:18 PM »

Forgive my ignorance of SLKs, but witch end is the front? (Regarding autocad rendering a few posts back... Pic called rapere)

Doug S

« Reply #28 on: January 18, 2013, 01:00 PM »

Sugarbaker,

Canards can be confusing, except in the eyes of the designer.  The front of the Rapere is on the right side of the drawing.

Doug
« Last Edit: July 10, 2013, 12:18 PM by Doug S » Logged

sugarbaker
Trade Count: (+7)

« Reply #29 on: January 18, 2013, 01:40 PM »

thanks for the clarification!  It looks great.
Pages: 1 [2] 3 ... 17   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

items purchased through the links below help support the forum

Cal Custom

Our forum is made possible by the good folks whose ads appear below and by the members of our community (PayPal donation button at bottom)
In case you missed it each ad is linked to the sponsors web site.  So please, take a moment and visit our sponsors sites as this forum wouldn't be possible with out them.
Interested in running an ad for your business or kiting event?  Contact Steve at advertise.gwtwkites@gmail.com for a quote.

kmacFab
kmacFab

Kite Classifieds Ad
Kite Classifieds

A Wind Of Change
A Wind Of Change

Kitebookie
Kitebookie.com

Untitled Document

Untitled Document
Untitled Document

A Wind Of Change