GWTW Forum
September 01, 2014, 05:15 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Forum Info Login Register Chat  
Welcome to the GWTW Forum.
Guests (non-registered users) can view the forum but are unable to post.  If you don't have anything to say then why would you bother to register?
One of the most popular sections of the GWTW Forum has long been the Swap Meet.  A great place to sell old, seldom flown kites or to get great deals on used (gently flown) kites.  Only registered users can see the Swap Meet section, let alone wheel and deal.  1000's (literally) of kites have changed hands thanks to the Swap Meet.
There are several more benefits to being a registered user, but you'll have to join our little community to find out all the "secrets".
Questions or concerns? Contact Steve ... just drop an email to: forum.gwtwkites@gmail.com

Pages: 1 ... 4 [5] 6 ... 16   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Doug Stout's Arrow Canard build (split off from the Stunt kite design tool)  (Read 26374 times)
Doug S
Trade Count: (0)

« Reply #60 on: March 26, 2013, 08:19 PM »

While I wait for my additional building supplies to finish the Little Hawks, I designed a smaller version of my Rapere (Rapere-SM) that has only six (6) panels.  The attached picture shows the cut out panels.  The Rapere-SM was designed around Jon T.’s micro carbon tubes, which will allow this kite to have a wing span of about 30 in. and be about 32.5 in. long.  It should be a quick build and I will post pictures when I complete the kite.  If someone is interested in a six (6) panel version of my Rapere, just let me know since I have the plans drawn up.

Later,

Doug

[attachment deleted by admin]
« Last Edit: July 10, 2013, 12:28 PM by Doug S » Logged

"We never really grow up, we only learn how to act in public."
Doug S

« Reply #61 on: April 02, 2013, 10:56 AM »

I received my 10 lb. Spectra line and finished my two very light Little Hawks this weekend.  The completed weight for each kite is 1.0 grams.  No bad for a kite with a 12 in. wing span.  The attached file provides a picture of the completed Little Hawks.  The sail material is made from Cuben.  The wing spars and spreader are 0.02 in. carbon rods and the center spine is a 0.03 in. carbon rod.  The lines are 10 lb. Spectra.  The left one is a view from the front of the sail, while the right one is a view from the back of the sail.

They are fun to fly in the house.  I use the 10 lb. Spectra for the flying line.  I also flew one outside in winds ranging from 2 to 6 mph as part of my R&D process, or as my flying buddy calls it ”(W)reck-em and destroy-em.”  Fast little kite in that wind with a bit of frame distortion, but no damage.  Tough little kite and sail material.  It's a great indoor or no/low wind kite.

Doug

« Last Edit: July 10, 2013, 12:28 PM by Doug S » Logged

Doug S

« Reply #62 on: April 02, 2013, 01:05 PM »

Here is a better view of the Little Hawk from the side...

« Last Edit: July 10, 2013, 12:29 PM by Doug S » Logged

Doug S

« Reply #63 on: April 02, 2013, 01:58 PM »

From the nose...

« Last Edit: July 10, 2013, 12:29 PM by Doug S » Logged

Doug S

« Reply #64 on: April 02, 2013, 01:59 PM »

And from the front...

« Last Edit: July 10, 2013, 12:30 PM by Doug S » Logged

mikenchico
Board Moderator

« Reply #65 on: April 03, 2013, 01:15 PM »

Wow, 1 gram, those must just float.

I saw those micro carbon tubes last time I popped in at Kites and Fun Things, wondered what I needed them for     

"Living is easy with eyes closed, misunderstanding all you see" John W Lennon

"People do not quit playing because they grow old, they grow old because they quit playing" George Bernard Shaw
Doug S

« Reply #66 on: April 03, 2013, 02:27 PM »

Mike,

Thanks to your suggestions and guidance, the Little Hawk made with Cuben sail material, and just the right amount of reinforcements weighs only 1.0 gram.  Due to the strength and light weight of the Cuben material, I was able to make this a tough little kite.  It does float nicely, but can move like a rocket if you pull on the line.  Please note the Little Hawk has a wing span of only 12 in.  The sail loading for this Little Hawk is only 0.105 oz./sq.ft., which I believe is the about the same sail loading as the iFlite with the 20 in. wing span, based on available information about the iFlite kite.  I use an OHAUS Triple Beam Balance Scale to weigh all of my kites, where I can get to an accuracy of 0.05 grams.  I use a set of reference brass weights to confirm the accuracy of my scale around the weight of the kite.

Regarding Jon T.’s micro hollow tubes that are great, I use them in my Falcon (64.5 in. wing span) no/low wind soaring kite, which is a scaled down version of my Eagle (96 in. wing span) no/low wind soaring kite.  The attached picture is a Falcon that I just finished for a friend of the family, where he picked the colors.  This Falcon weighs 38.9 grams and has a sail loading of 0.316 oz./sq.ft.  I don’t have a picture of my Falcon, but I will take one and post it later.  As you would expect for me, it’s red, white and blue.  I use a 0.125 in. light carbon tube for the center spine, the 0.098 in. carbon tubes for the wing spars, and a 0.080 in. carbon tube for the spreader.  I also use 0.03 in. carbon rods as battens that slide within the two color seams, which run from the trailing edge to about half way up the sail.  The Falcon loves to soar and ride thermals on a light wind day.  I now have a selection of the micro tubes in stock to make the smaller version of my Rapere with a 30 in. wing span (Rapere-SM).  I also have the thicker wall 0.0125 in. carbon tubes in stock to make a higher wind version of the Rapere.

Thanks to the encouragement of the people on this Forum, I have completed 9 kite projects over the past few months, and have at least 2 under way in my work shop.  In the future, I do want to purchase more of the Cuben material and make a lighter version of my 24 in. Hawk and maybe a smaller version of my Falcon for indoor fun!

Thanks for the interest,

Doug

« Last Edit: July 10, 2013, 12:31 PM by Doug S » Logged

Doug S

« Reply #67 on: April 05, 2013, 03:34 PM »

Picture of my Falcon...

« Last Edit: July 10, 2013, 12:31 PM by Doug S » Logged

Doug S

« Reply #68 on: April 19, 2013, 02:00 PM »

Fellow Kite Builders,

The updated plans and pictures for the Rapere are now at Post No. 72.

Enjoy,

Doug

« Last Edit: July 10, 2013, 12:32 PM by Doug S » Logged

Doug S

« Reply #69 on: April 19, 2013, 02:01 PM »

The attached picture is my Rapere-SM ready for reinforcements.  It will have a span of about 30 in.

Later,

Doug

« Last Edit: July 10, 2013, 12:32 PM by Doug S » Logged

Doug S

« Reply #70 on: April 25, 2013, 05:06 PM »

I finished the Rapere with the thick wall 1/8 in. carbon tubes.  One word to describe the kite.  Nice!   Grin  You can bounce a coin off of the rear sail.  It weighs 51.7 grams, balances the same as the lighter Rapere with the thin wall 1/8 in. carbon tubes, and glides/floats just like the lighter Rapere.  The weigh increase over the lighter Rapere is less than 4 grams.  Due to the stiffness of the thicker carbon tubes, I doubled the reinforcements at the tips of the rear sail, and double wrapped the associated connection lines.  Can't wait to get this kite out in a field with some wind!

I will be updating the Top View Plans this weekend to indicate the changes to the tips of the rear sail.  I also will post a new picture of the tip.  With this change, all 4 connection points on the rear sail have the double reinforcements (2 layers on the top and 2 layers on the bottom).  Also, I will be upgrading the tips of my lighter Rapere tonight, which took very little time to perform on the heavier Rapere.  The weight increase for the tip modification was only 0.2 grams and is well worth it.

I should have the smaller Rapere-SM finished and in the air by this weekend.  I will take some new pictures of my expanding Rapere family.  Time to go out and do some flying!

Later,

Doug
« Last Edit: July 10, 2013, 12:33 PM by Doug S » Logged

Doug S

« Reply #71 on: April 27, 2013, 06:39 PM »

Spent a great afternoon at my local flying field with my Rapere family.  Wind speed changed enough (0 to 8 mph), which allowed me to fly the Rapere with the light frame, the Rapere with heavy frame and the Rapere-SM.  Had fun catching thermals on the field.  The following is a picture of my Rapere family at the field.

The newest member of my Rapere family is the Rapere-SM.  The Rapere-SM has a wing span of 30.5 in. and is 33 in. long.  It’s framed with 0.080 in. carbon tubes from Jon T. and weighs 21 grams.  It flys just like its bigger brother, is very response and just a lot of fun to fly.  If someone would like me to post the plans for the Rapere-SM, just let me know.  I have a working version of the plans that I used to build the kite, which I will update with the actual frame and line lengths.

I should be able to finish the minor tweaks to the Rapere plans tomorrow, as indicated in my prior post.

Later,

Doug

« Last Edit: July 10, 2013, 12:33 PM by Doug S » Logged

Doug S

« Reply #72 on: April 27, 2013, 06:40 PM »

Side view of my Rapere family....

« Last Edit: July 10, 2013, 12:34 PM by Doug S » Logged

Doug S

« Reply #73 on: April 28, 2013, 05:12 PM »

Fellow Kite Builders,

The following links provide access to download the updated plans for my Rapere and Rapere-SM Canard Kites.  For the Rapere, the update includes the new double reinforced tip and loop length for the rear sail, minor loop length changes, and the rear angled securing line at the center of the leading edge of the rear sail.  The Rapere can be built with either the light or heavy wall 1/8 in. carbon tubes, which are indicated on the plans.  Due to the new double reinfored tip, there is no difference in the construction for the two kites, except for the thickness of the carbon tubes.  I also included a six panel version of the Rapere, just like the Rapere-SM.  The Rapere-SM plans are new.  I have constructed and have been flying all three version of the Rapere, which are a joy to fly.  The attached picture shows a view of the Rapere (Light Frame), Rapere-SM, and Rapere (Heavy Frame), from left to right.  If you choose to download any of the plans, all that I ask in return for all of my efforts is that you make a donation to Steve Hall for this great GWTW Forum.  Thank you in advance for your generosity.

Rapere (Light and Heavy wall frame):

•   DKS Rapere - Top View Plan (Updated April 28, 2013):  https://docs.google.com/file/d/0B_TPx1W-lkmSMjV1MXVXcWUybzQ/edit?usp=sharing

•   DKS Rapere - Side View Plan (Updated April 28, 2013):  https://docs.google.com/file/d/0B_TPx1W-lkmSMzVhRVI2OEhzVTA/edit?usp=sharing

•   DKS Rapere - Template Plan - 14 Panels (Design - Updated Title Block April 28, 2013):  https://docs.google.com/file/d/0B_TPx1W-lkmSVjVZbkJYVzJ6NnM/edit?usp=sharing

•   DKS Rapere - Template Plan - 6 Panels (New April 28, 2013):  https://docs.google.com/file/d/0B_TPx1W-lkmSRllZcWx2ZVNvQzA/edit?usp=sharing

•   DKS Rapere - Template Plan - 4 Panels (Updated Title Block April 28, 2013):  https://docs.google.com/file/d/0B_TPx1W-lkmSNXVtZnZsZ291YzA/edit?usp=sharing

Rapere-SM:

•   DKS Rapere-SM - Top View Plan (New April 28, 2013):  https://docs.google.com/file/d/0B_TPx1W-lkmSb0ZDSkozYzEtdFk/edit?usp=sharing

•   DKS Rapere-SM - Side View Plan (New April 28, 2013):  https://docs.google.com/file/d/0B_TPx1W-lkmSZU5OQ1JNdU9wRVE/edit?usp=sharing

•   DKS Rapere-SM  - Template Plan - 6 Panels (Design - New April 28, 2013):  https://docs.google.com/file/d/0B_TPx1W-lkmSWFJ5YkxKU0RBQTA/edit?usp=sharing

•   DKS Rapere-SM - Template Plan - 4 Panels (New April 28, 2013):  https://docs.google.com/file/d/0B_TPx1W-lkmSMXdIaExqei1YZ28/edit?usp=sharing

DKS Rapere - Updated Pictures to assist in Construction:
•   Bottom View:  https://docs.google.com/file/d/0B_TPx1W-lkmSdzBuMGRGLXVCMXc/edit?usp=sharing
•   Angled View:  https://docs.google.com/file/d/0B_TPx1W-lkmSVjgwMHJNQ09EazA/edit?usp=sharing
•   Right Side View of Nose:  https://docs.google.com/file/d/0B_TPx1W-lkmSRzBSZjJJYklrMzQ/edit?usp=sharing
•   Right Side View of Mid-Section (Updated April 28, 2013):  https://docs.google.com/file/d/0B_TPx1W-lkmScElKc0dpcW4yLU0/edit?usp=sharing
•   Back View of Main (Rear) Sail Right Tip (Updated April 28, 2013):  https://docs.google.com/file/d/0B_TPx1W-lkmSbzRLbFBGNkdnWTQ/edit?usp=sharing
•   Back View of Tail:  https://docs.google.com/file/d/0B_TPx1W-lkmSdHZUS1I2VTdxaE0/edit?usp=sharing

If you should have any questions, just send me a message.  Please post and let me know your experience with the Rapere.  Thank you.

Enjoy,

Doug

« Last Edit: July 01, 2013, 09:38 AM by Doug S » Logged

thief
Board Moderator
Trade Count: (+25)

« Reply #74 on: May 24, 2013, 02:11 PM »

Mike,

Thanks to your suggestions and guidance, the Little Hawk made with Cuben sail material, and just the right amount of reinforcements weighs only 1.0 gram.  Due to the strength and light weight of the Cuben material, I was able to make this a tough little kite.  It does float nicely, but can move like a rocket if you pull on the line.  Please note the Little Hawk has a wing span of only 12 in.  The sail loading for this Little Hawk is only 0.105 oz./sq.ft., which I believe is the about the same sail loading as the iFlite with the 20 in. wing span, based on available information about the iFlite kite. 

The little hawk is a cool looking fun little kite....

Have to play more with the adjustments! (spine tension and bridle)

Set up a little like an urban ninja.....faster than an iFlite....more durable than an iFlite too....

I am finding it a bit nose heavy so the glide is not that long but that might be something that can get tuned out too...

All in all a great addition to the fleet!!!

Kites kayaks & corgis again!!!
Pages: 1 ... 4 [5] 6 ... 16   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

items purchased through the links below help support the forum

Cal Custom

Our forum is made possible by the good folks whose ads appear below and by the members of our community (PayPal donation button at bottom)
In case you missed it each ad is linked to the sponsors web site.  So please, take a moment and visit our sponsors sites as this forum wouldn't be possible with out them.
Interested in running an ad for your business or kiting event?  Contact Steve at advertise.gwtwkites@gmail.com for a quote.

kmacFab
kmacFab

Kite Classifieds Ad
Kite Classifieds

A Wind Of Change
A Wind Of Change

Kitebookie
Kitebookie.com

Untitled Document

Untitled Document
Untitled Document

Untitled Document