GWTW Forum
September 17, 2014, 12:51 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Forum Info Login Register Chat  
Welcome to the GWTW Forum.
Guests (non-registered users) can view the forum but are unable to post.  If you don't have anything to say then why would you bother to register?
One of the most popular sections of the GWTW Forum has long been the Swap Meet.  A great place to sell old, seldom flown kites or to get great deals on used (gently flown) kites.  Only registered users can see the Swap Meet section, let alone wheel and deal.  1000's (literally) of kites have changed hands thanks to the Swap Meet.
There are several more benefits to being a registered user, but you'll have to join our little community to find out all the "secrets".
Questions or concerns? Contact Steve ... just drop an email to: forum.gwtwkites@gmail.com

Pages: 1 ... 9 [10] 11 ... 16   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Doug Stout's Arrow Canard build (split off from the Stunt kite design tool)  (Read 29073 times)
Doug S
Trade Count: (0)

« Reply #135 on: November 03, 2013, 10:59 AM »

ae,

Will post pictures when I am done with construction.  I have an idea regarding how tol frame the kite, which will be worked out after the sail is completed.

Doug

"We never really grow up, we only learn how to act in public."
Doug S

« Reply #136 on: December 10, 2013, 07:32 AM »

The experimental engineer in me got bored again and designed a single sail glider kite, with a swept forward wing.  I just wanted to see if it could be done!  Grin  The design concept is roughly based on the outline of the XT-908 Drone in the pending 2014 version of Robocop, where I made some expected changes to allow it to be a glider kite.

Made the 24 in. wing span prototype out of PC-31, 0.04 in. carbon rods and 0.02 in. tip battens to test the design concept.  Finished it last night and it actually fly’s and is very response.  Cheesy  The tips washout under load, which provides the desired tip stability.  The following and the next two posts provide a few pictures of the prototype.  Will spend time dialing in the design, and then make a second one using Cuben 0.33 and minimal reinforcements.

The material for the dual line version of my 48 in. wing span Rapere is cut out and I will build that kite over the holiday break.  Also, I am making a lighter version of my 16 in. wing span Cuben Rapere.  I just love how the Cuben Raperes (16 in. and 24 in. wing spans) fly.

Later,

Doug

Doug S

« Reply #137 on: December 10, 2013, 07:33 AM »

Back view.

Doug S

« Reply #138 on: December 10, 2013, 07:34 AM »

Angled right side view.
« Last Edit: December 10, 2013, 07:37 AM by Doug S » Logged

thief
Board Moderator
Trade Count: (+25)

« Reply #139 on: December 10, 2013, 07:37 AM »

that looks great! was waiting to see the hard product!

Kites kayaks & corgis again!!!
Doug S

« Reply #140 on: December 10, 2013, 08:14 AM »

Thief,

Thank you for the kind words.  I spend some time scratching my head on how I was going to put this kite together with the minimum amount of materials.  Cheesy  My solution to obtain the 20 degrees of dihedral (10 degrees each side) was just adding two stops and a length of 10 lb. spectra line to tension the swept forward wing spars.  Very surprise on how well it worked out.  Using the black insulation from electrical wire for the center joiner and stops.

Based on reading information about one of my favorite NASA experimental designs, the X-29, this kite also is very responsive.  The kite was designed to be a hunter and not a floater.  Now I just need some air time to experiment with the center of gravity location and center spine bow.  The current center of gravity location is set to my modelled design static margin of 10% behind the neutral point.

Later,

Doug

ae
Trade Count: (+2)

« Reply #141 on: December 11, 2013, 05:44 AM »

Nice!
I like it, nice and sharp with minimal fuzz.
And yes forward swept wing is supposed to be much more agile then normal swept wings.
Doug S

« Reply #142 on: December 13, 2013, 08:20 PM »

During this week, the experimental engineer in me got bored once again and designed a kite version of an X-29 without the fuselage.  Since I like the looks of the NASA X-29 airplane and the Air Force Thunderbirds, I will combine the two themes to make a glider canard kite.

I traced the outline of the X-29 canard and wing, and trimmed the root of the wing to line up with the root of the canard.  The prototype will have about the same wing span as my Arrow and Rapere, at about 42 inches using hollow tube 0.125 carbon tubes.  I will use multi-colors of PC-31 so that it looks like it belongs to the Air Force Thunderbirds.  The conceptual drawing is attached.  Still tinkering with some of the colors.

This will be another fun winter project, while we anticipate 8 inches of snow over the weekend.  Will start drafting up the construction plans next week.

Later,

Doug
« Last Edit: December 13, 2013, 08:22 PM by Doug S » Logged

Doug S

« Reply #143 on: December 13, 2013, 09:22 PM »

Here is a version that includes grey, which is what the early Thunderbirds looked like.

Doug S

« Reply #144 on: December 13, 2013, 10:00 PM »

Here is a third version, which is the one I will build.  Time to draft the plans.

Doug
« Last Edit: December 14, 2013, 07:49 AM by Doug S » Logged

Doug S

« Reply #145 on: December 20, 2013, 11:12 AM »

Finished the construction plans for the X-29 and will start construction over the holiday break.  With 26 panels, what was I thinking?  Roll Eyes

I have three kites to build, which are a stunt kite version of my Rapere, the swept forward wing glider kite (single sail) out of Cuben fabric, and the X-29.  This should keep me very busy for a while.  Cheesy

With the warmer weather we are having in the northeast, I hope to do some kite flying this weekend.  Grin

In closing, thank you for allowing me to share my kiting building endeavors with you over the past year.  My each of you have a very safe and happy holidays.

Doug

stapp59
Trade Count: (+5)

« Reply #146 on: December 21, 2013, 12:14 PM »

I like the third version - alot  Smiley

Here is a third version, which is the one I will build.  Time to draft the plans.

Doug

Steve in Indiana
http://picasaweb.google.com/stapp59

Fly so it looks like you meant it
Doug S

« Reply #147 on: December 31, 2013, 09:44 AM »

Finished the Cuben version of the subject kite and I am very pleased.  I named it after my last stunt kite, "Bird of Prey," where the sail shape fits the name.  With a 24 inch wing span, the kite weighs 3.0 grams using 0.03 in. carbon rods for the center spine and wing spars, and 0.01 in. carbon rods for the tip battens.  With its unique shape, it fly’s much better than expected and is a great glider.

Three unique characteristics about this design:  1) When balanced for a great glide, the center of gravity is more forward than other gliders, yielding a static margin of less than 2 percent.  2) With this sail shape and tip washout under load, you use a more forward connection point for the flying line, which makes it more response to changes in line tension for steering, which is the way I like to fly.  3) With the wing spars at the leading edge, the tips washout under load and makes the kite tip stall proof.  My other single line gliders have static margins that range between 10 and 15 percent.

The following provides a picture of the Bird of Prey in flight in my front yard.  Very light wind and cold at 25 degrees F.  With the success of this design, I am going to build a large one with a wing span around 48 inches.

Doug
« Last Edit: January 03, 2014, 02:01 PM by Doug S » Logged

Doug S

« Reply #148 on: December 31, 2013, 09:49 AM »

Front view of the Bird of Prey...

Doug S

« Reply #149 on: December 31, 2013, 09:50 AM »

Back view of the Bird of Prey...

Pages: 1 ... 9 [10] 11 ... 16   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

items purchased through the links below help support the forum

Cal Custom

Our forum is made possible by the good folks whose ads appear below and by the members of our community (PayPal donation button at bottom)
In case you missed it each ad is linked to the sponsors web site.  So please, take a moment and visit our sponsors sites as this forum wouldn't be possible with out them.
Interested in running an ad for your business or kiting event?  Contact Steve at advertise.gwtwkites@gmail.com for a quote.

kmacFab
kmacFab

Kite Classifieds Ad
Kite Classifieds

A Wind Of Change
A Wind Of Change

Kitebookie
Kitebookie.com

Untitled Document

Untitled Document
Untitled Document

Untitled Document