GWTW Forum
August 01, 2014, 01:12 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Forum Info Login Register Chat  
Welcome to the GWTW Forum.
Guests (non-registered users) can view the forum but are unable to post.  If you don't have anything to say then why would you bother to register?
One of the most popular sections of the GWTW Forum has long been the Swap Meet.  A great place to sell old, seldom flown kites or to get great deals on used (gently flown) kites.  Only registered users can see the Swap Meet section, let alone wheel and deal.  1000's (literally) of kites have changed hands thanks to the Swap Meet.
There are several more benefits to being a registered user, but you'll have to join our little community to find out all the "secrets".
Questions or concerns? Contact Steve ... just drop an email to: forum.gwtwkites@gmail.com

Pages: 1 ... 10 [11] 12 ... 15   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Doug Stout's Arrow Canard build (split off from the Stunt kite design tool)  (Read 20836 times)
stapp59
Trade Count: (+4)

« Reply #150 on: December 31, 2013, 11:04 AM »

Pretty cool Doug!  Where did you source the Cuban?

Steve

Steve in Indiana
My kites: http://picasaweb.google.com/stapp59
Doug S
Trade Count: (0)

« Reply #151 on: December 31, 2013, 11:22 AM »

The following provides the link for the Cuben I am using:

http://www.questoutfitters.com/coated.html#CUBEN

Doug

"We never really grow up, we only learn how to act in public."
stapp59

« Reply #152 on: December 31, 2013, 12:12 PM »

Thanks!  I've used Seattle fabrics for some nylons, webbing and velcro.  They don't have cuben ...

The following provides the link for the Cuben I am using:

http://www.questoutfitters.com/coated.html#CUBEN

Doug

Steve in Indiana
Doug S

« Reply #153 on: December 31, 2013, 03:02 PM »

ZPacks also carries the very light Cuben in orange, as indicated in the following link.  I prefer the light grey from questoutfitters.

http://www.zpacks.com/materials.shtml

Back to my other kite construction projects, while we wait for a snowstorm in the northeast.

Have a happy and safe New Year’s evening.

Later,

Doug

thief
Board Moderator
Trade Count: (+25)

« Reply #154 on: December 31, 2013, 05:49 PM »

Front view of the Bird of Prey...

On man... This looks awesome......... Would love to get my hands on this one!!!!!

Kites kayaks & corgis again!!!
Doug S

« Reply #155 on: December 31, 2013, 08:45 PM »

Rob,

Sent you an E-Mail.  Grin

Doug
« Last Edit: January 01, 2014, 07:09 AM by Doug S » Logged

DMF
Trade Count: (+1)

« Reply #156 on: January 01, 2014, 03:47 PM »

Doug these gliders look really great.  I'm going to put this on the bucket list for 2014!
Doug S

« Reply #157 on: January 07, 2014, 11:35 AM »

The following drawing is the color layout for a 48 in. and 62 in. wing span version of my Bird of Prey swept forward wing single line glider kite.  Just couldn't resist making it look like a stealth fighter with USA colors.  The sail material will be PC31 and the frames will be small diameter hollow carbon tubes, which diameters will be selected during construction.  I have 0.08, 0.098 and 0.125 in. diameter carbon tubes to try out.  The plans are done for the 48 in. version.  I will finish the plans for the 62 in. version by the weekend.

This weekend I will start these two glider kites, along with my X-29 canard glider kite.  While waiting for the materials, I will sew together the stunt kite version of my Rapere.

Didn't get much kite building completed over the holiday break, because of enjoyable hours with my family.  My 23 year old son was home from LA for two weeks, where he is a musician (lead guitarist and backup singer) with the band Blondfire.  He also does session work for others in the LA area.  Also, we just held the Boy Scout Eagle Ceremony for my 18 year old son, who will be off to college this fall.  Great times in the Stout house hold.

Later,

Doug
« Last Edit: January 07, 2014, 12:05 PM by Doug S » Logged

Doug S

« Reply #158 on: February 03, 2014, 01:47 PM »

The following provides a picture of the Bird of Prey with a 48 inch wing span.  Up is the direction of flight.  The kite weighs 32.5 grams and is framed with 0.08 inch carbon tubes for the wing spars and center spine, with 0.03 carbon rods for the tip battens.  The sail material is PC31.  I went with the color charcoal for the simulated canopy, which has outlined in white pin stripes.  Could make it a bit lighter if I used fewer colors, but it looks so cool in the air.  Still very light for it size, for a great outdoor zero/light wind glider.

Doug
« Last Edit: February 05, 2014, 10:55 AM by Doug S » Logged

Doug S

« Reply #159 on: February 03, 2014, 01:48 PM »

The following provides an angled view of the Bird of Prey 48.  Waiting for the snow to stop up here in the northeast to take pictures while in flight.  In this picture, you can see the outline of the simulated canopy with white pin stripes.

Doug
« Last Edit: February 03, 2014, 01:52 PM by Doug S » Logged

ae
Trade Count: (+2)

« Reply #160 on: February 03, 2014, 03:08 PM »

Looks pretty cool!
stapp59

« Reply #161 on: February 03, 2014, 08:57 PM »

Very nice indeed.

Steve in Indiana
Doug S

« Reply #162 on: February 09, 2014, 06:31 PM »

Due to our lovely winter weather, I am almost done sewing the sail for the 62 inch wing span version.  Just need to finish sewing the balance of the reinforcements.  Should have it completed this week.

I flew the 48 inch version outside on Friday in the snow.  It looks really cool in the air.  Will try to take some in flight pictures when there is a fresh layer of snow covering all of the ice.

Later,

Doug

Doug S

« Reply #163 on: February 15, 2014, 05:04 PM »

... and then there were three...

The attached picture shows the three sizes of my Bird of Prey.  Just finished the 62 inch wing span version, which is on the left.  The 24 inch wing span version is in the middle, while the 48 inch wing span version is on the right.  I hope to get the 62 in the air when the snow stops.  The 24 inch made from Cuben is still my favorite for ultra-light flying.  Thinking of building an ultra-light version of the 48 using Cuben.  They are very efficient gliders.

Later,

Doug

Doug S

« Reply #164 on: February 16, 2014, 05:58 AM »

The attached picture is the larger Bird of Prey backlit with natural lighting.  It has a 62 inch wing span, 35 inches in length, with a project sail area of 867 square inches.  It weighs 57.9 grams balanced at my center of gravity starting point, which is on the mark with a sail loading of 0.339 grams/square inch of projected sail area.  Time to get this Bird some air time!

Later,

Doug

Pages: 1 ... 10 [11] 12 ... 15   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

items purchased through the links below help support the forum

Our forum is made possible by the good folks whose ads appear below and by the members of our community (PayPal donation button at bottom)
In case you missed it each ad is linked to the sponsors web site.  So please, take a moment and visit our sponsors sites as this forum wouldn't be possible with out them.
Interested in running an ad for your business or kiting event?  Contact Steve at advertise.gwtwkites@gmail.com for a quote.

Kite Classifieds Ad
Kite Classifieds

A Wind Of Change
A Wind Of Change

Kitebookie
Kitebookie.com

Untitled Document

Untitled Document
Untitled Document

Untitled Document
Untitled Document

Untitled Document