GWTW Forum
October 24, 2014, 10:10 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Forum Info Login Register Chat  
Welcome to the GWTW Forum.
Guests (non-registered users) can view the forum but are unable to post.  If you don't have anything to say then why would you bother to register?
One of the most popular sections of the GWTW Forum has long been the Swap Meet.  A great place to sell old, seldom flown kites or to get great deals on used (gently flown) kites.  Only registered users can see the Swap Meet section, let alone wheel and deal.  1000's (literally) of kites have changed hands thanks to the Swap Meet.
There are several more benefits to being a registered user, but you'll have to join our little community to find out all the "secrets".
Questions or concerns? Contact Steve ... just drop an email to: forum.gwtwkites@gmail.com

Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: fix or replace?  (Read 1209 times)
briannastuart
Trade Count: (0)

« on: November 16, 2012, 10:34 AM »

hi all!

i've got an Action FireDart that has taken quite a bit of abuse and has spent the last couple years in its bag in the garage in need of repair.  the webbing on the nose is punctured, thanks to one too many dives into the playa by newbies at burningman, and the flexible black tubing which hold one of the struts has torn along the hole drilled through it.  the tubing i'm not too worried about - i've replaced that before and it wasn't a big deal, but that was a loooong time ago and i'm not sure where i'd find it now, or how i'd drill it myself.  can i order one of those somewhere?  the nose, though... it seems like it should be pretty straightforward, but i have a feeling that maybe it isn't.  i haven't pulled it apart yet, but it almost looks like i could just pull out the stitching, get some new webbing, and put it back on.  is that correct?  i have a sewing machine that should be able to handle that thickness of material.  i don't have a way to properly cut/seal the edges of the webbing, though.  is that hard to do?

before you say "replace it"... i LOVE this kite.  not only does it have many memories wrapped up in it, i just love the feel of it.  i love its heft and speed and NOISE!!!  i love that it is huuuuge.  i love that it had a habit of occasionally dragging me a few feet at a time.  i don't want some light little quiet number - i want something so stinkin' loud that your odds of hitting a pedestrian are virtually nil, but scaring the poop out of one is quite high.  i see Action is no longer around, and of course technology has changed everything... but i can't imagine replacing this kite with something 'dainty'.

i appreciate your input!
brianna
thief
Board Moderator
Trade Count: (+25)

« Reply #1 on: November 16, 2012, 10:40 AM »

ahh....fix it..AND ask Santa for a new kite for Christmas as well!!!
Were you are you located?  There might be a member nearby that can help guide you on this.....

The nose....yep, you are thinking correctly.....pull the rods out....then you can remove the one there (I would take photos of this process to help remind you how it goes back together again)....
Seat belt webbing would be fine to replace it.....fit it back onto the nose of the kite...sew the lines where they were before....and then trim the edge up....

The tubing: I am sure you could find replacement tubing at a hardware store....
OR
you could just upgrade all 4 of the fittings at once for a few bucks by getting the newfangled molded rubber ones you can find by clicking here:

Keep at it....they live very long lives with relatively few repairs needed to keep them going!!!!
r

Kites kayaks & corgis again!!!
briannastuart

« Reply #2 on: November 16, 2012, 10:46 AM »

i like the two-part idea   Grin

i'm just north of seattle.  i'd love to say i did it myself, but my two-year-old twins give plenty of chances to fix things on my own, so if there's someone up here that is good, i'd certainly jump at the chance to have a professional repair done.

regarding the tubing, i've thought about upgrading, but i have this idea that those rigid ones might be less forgiving and i'd risk breaking struts.  i'm basing this on exactly zero knowledge, so i'd love to know if i'm wrong!

-b
mikenchico
Board Moderator

« Reply #3 on: November 18, 2012, 01:40 AM »

Hot cutting and sealing the new nose webbing wouldn't be a large problem.

You'll need a metal straight edge and a 25 watt or higher soldering iron. you should be able to find one at any electronics, hardware or tool shop (heck even K-Mart & WalMart have them) for a few bucks. Here's Harbor Freights Offer

Click for Price

Let it good and hot, After sewing the new webbing on place your straight edge over the kite sail aligned with and just slightly outside the leading edge fabric. OVER the sail and new webbing so if you slip while cutting you can't go into the sail. Then cut and seal the new nose, practice on some of the spare webbing to find the pressure and speed you'll need to get a good clean cut.

« Last Edit: November 18, 2012, 01:49 AM by mikenchico » Logged

"Living is easy with eyes closed, misunderstanding all you see" John W Lennon

"People do not quit playing because they grow old, they grow old because they quit playing" George Bernard Shaw
briannastuart

« Reply #4 on: November 19, 2012, 08:23 AM »

ha, cool, all stuff i have at home already (except the webbing).  looks like i have a project for a rainy night after the kids are down.  thanks!!  can't wait to get this thing back in the air!   Smiley
mikenchico
Board Moderator

« Reply #5 on: November 20, 2012, 08:57 AM »

Gone with the Wind - Chico Kites, the Forums sponsor carries webbing here

http://www.chicokites.com/store/index.php?act=viewProd&productId=261

An old (or new)  car seatbelt works, alternately some heavy Cordura from an old backpack or suitcase works but you'll need to hot cut the strip first to seal the edges.

"Living is easy with eyes closed, misunderstanding all you see" John W Lennon

"People do not quit playing because they grow old, they grow old because they quit playing" George Bernard Shaw
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

items purchased through the links below help support the forum

Cal Custom

Our forum is made possible by the good folks whose ads appear below and by the members of our community (PayPal donation button at bottom)
In case you missed it each ad is linked to the sponsors web site.  So please, take a moment and visit our sponsors sites as this forum wouldn't be possible with out them.
Interested in running an ad for your business or kiting event?  Contact Steve at advertise.gwtwkites@gmail.com for a quote.

kmacFab
kmacFab

Kite Classifieds Ad
Kite Classifieds

A Wind Of Change
A Wind Of Change

Kitebookie
Kitebookie.com

Untitled Document

Untitled Document
Untitled Document

A Wind Of Change