GWTW Forum
October 31, 2014, 02:44 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Forum Info Login Register Chat  
Welcome to the GWTW Forum.
Guests (non-registered users) can view the forum but are unable to post.  If you don't have anything to say then why would you bother to register?
One of the most popular sections of the GWTW Forum has long been the Swap Meet.  A great place to sell old, seldom flown kites or to get great deals on used (gently flown) kites.  Only registered users can see the Swap Meet section, let alone wheel and deal.  1000's (literally) of kites have changed hands thanks to the Swap Meet.
There are several more benefits to being a registered user, but you'll have to join our little community to find out all the "secrets".
Questions or concerns? Contact Steve ... just drop an email to: forum.gwtwkites@gmail.com

Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: nimh  (Read 2164 times)
ko
Trade Count: (+9)

« on: November 24, 2012, 06:04 PM »

My batteries are getting a little long in the tooth. I have had really good luck with the Rayovac Hybrids they seem to be honest with there numbers and are fairly well matched. AA come in at around 2100 aaa 900 The aa work amazingly well in my camera. I know I probably wont get the higher numbers with the pre-charged type .But at least you can keep them in things you dont use all of the time. Anyway I would appreciate any input on some good batteries The selection out there reads like Chinese takeout
Thanks ,Kurt

have fun kurt
chilese
Global Moderator
Trade Count: (+5)

« Reply #1 on: November 24, 2012, 06:13 PM »

I buy my batteries (and my charger) from

Thomas Distributing.

Recently purchased some of the new

"Low Discharge" AA batteries for my Nikon strobe.

http://www.thomasdistributing.com/AA-Low-Discharge-Batteries_c_677.html

Here is the charger purchased at the same time.

http://www.thomasdistributing.com/-MAHA-MH-C808M-AA--AAA--C--D-Battery-Charger_p_244.html

The low discharge batteries don't have quite as high a storage, but they hold

their charge for months (not perfectly of course).

John Chilese: Las Vegas, NV
http://picasaweb.google.com/chilesej
tpatter
Trade Count: (+24)

« Reply #2 on: November 24, 2012, 06:17 PM »

I've had great luck with he Sanyo eneloops

http://www.amazon.com/Sanyo-Eneloop-Pre-Charged-Rechargeable-Batteries/dp/B000IV2YLY/ref=sr_1_4?ie=UTF8&qid=1353809442&sr=8-4&keywords=eneloop+batteries+aaa

6 kite tom
zippy8
Board Moderator
Trade Count: (+13)

« Reply #3 on: November 24, 2012, 06:48 PM »

I've had pretty much equal amounts of "luck" with brands like Energizer, own label items from Biltema and who-the-hell stuff from Co/Tech. The trick lies in taking care of them, not so much in the name.

If you're using a plug-into-the-wall charger you're almost certainly damaging them each and every time you recharge them, even more so if you do this in multiples. A proper cycling charger with both peak and temperature sensing will do wonders and may even bring knackered cells back to a semblance of life and keep them out of the rubbish bin. Oh yes, and "fast charging" commercial AAs and AAAs will trash them in short order. Sorry John  Sad

Spend your money on a proper charger.

Mike.

Virtual Freestyle - ǝlʎʇsǝǝɹɟ lɐnʇɹıʌ
Jeepster
Trade Count: (0)

« Reply #4 on: November 24, 2012, 07:22 PM »

I'm a heavy user of two GPS units.  I've finally settled on the Sanyo eneloop batteries as being the best option.  Sanyo is very honest with their capacity numbers.  The eneloop cells also hold a charge for several months with very little self-discharge, which is important if you have extra cells that don't see constant usage.  About a 18 months ago, the Sanyo cells were the only ones being built in Japan where the quality control is excellent ... that was the tipping point.

My main charger is a LaCrosse BC-1000 (no longer available as a new product).  Recently I needed to charge more than four cells at a time, so bought a LaCrosse BC-700 unit which is every bit as good as the previous model.  I've stopped using the higher charge rates and only use the 500mAh rates, so both units function the same for my application.  Both units will only work off household voltage ... hasn't been a problem since I have more cells than necessary.

I can recommend the above components without any reservation.  There are other good chargers available ... John's MaHa charger is a good one, just a little too expensive for my application.  What ever you buy, just make sure they charge each cell separately at a low charge rate ... a charge rate of 20 to 25% of cell capacity works well with negligible heat build up in the cells when charging.  As others have already stated, heat is the enemy of longevity.  My eneloop cells are approximately 18 months old and still don't show any reduction in capacity.

Cheers,
Tom
« Last Edit: November 24, 2012, 07:27 PM by Jeepster » Logged
ko

« Reply #5 on: November 24, 2012, 10:58 PM »

I too use gps and a lot of mapping software, I was not going to buy another charger but with this one I wont have to use the inverter in my jeephttp://www.ebay.com/itm/LA-CROSSE-TECHNOLOGY-BC500-ALPHA-POWER-BATTERY-CHARGER-/370683737294?pt=Battery_Chargers&hash=item564e78f4ce The enloops are looking respectable ,nice to have higher numbers but I guess there is always compromise. I have not bought yet so please let me know about what you think. Thanks for your time. And as John stated elswhere. This is a GREAT forum

have fun kurt
zippy8
Board Moderator
Trade Count: (+13)

« Reply #6 on: November 24, 2012, 11:48 PM »

This charger that you're looking at really has no intelligence in its charging - fixed 500mA then trickle charge is bum basic. Even the finest cells aren't going to too well served by this approach (although the discharge -> charge option is better than nothing).

Whilst the low self discharge cells sound good, the only benefit from this is if you're not using the cells regularly such that they sit on the shelf or in a unit for months on end without use. If you are frequently using them then they'll never get to make use of this advantage.

Again (and for the last time Wink ) - money spent on a good charger will benefit all your cells - present and future.

Mike.

Virtual Freestyle - ǝlʎʇsǝǝɹɟ lɐnʇɹıʌ
indigo_wolf
Trade Count: (+10)

« Reply #7 on: November 25, 2012, 04:52 AM »

Eneloops for batteries in AA format.

For the charger, Intellicharger i4 (or i2, if you only need 2 slots) .  Doesn't matter if you get the Nitecore, Jetbeam, or Symax flavors.... they are all made by the parent company Symax. 

Comes with an AC adaptor and a port for a 12V adaptor, although the latter has to be bought seperately.

ATB,
Sam
ko

« Reply #8 on: November 25, 2012, 10:01 AM »

Thanks for saving me Mike. (again). Sam , these chargers sound great. Nice that they charge Li-Ion also.and I am not a big fan of bells and whistles.Plug and Play is good. (compared to la crosse) OK I see that enloop has some aa in the 2500 range, but only have a charge life of 500 as compared to 1000 of one type and the newer type states 1500 charges  Price is about the same, or close enough. Replacing the the cells more often does not bother me ,but is it worth it to get 500 more in storage capacity? any thoughts?PS just found thischarger>http://www.ebay.com/itm/Sysmax-Nitecore-i4-Intellicharger-Ver-2-New-Version-Ships-from-USA-Ultimate-/251016742137 comes with dc cord (i also have a little balance in my paypal account to use,which doesnt hurt)
« Last Edit: November 25, 2012, 10:14 AM by ko » Logged

have fun kurt
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

items purchased through the links below help support the forum

Cal Custom

Our forum is made possible by the good folks whose ads appear below and by the members of our community (PayPal donation button at bottom)
In case you missed it each ad is linked to the sponsors web site.  So please, take a moment and visit our sponsors sites as this forum wouldn't be possible with out them.
Interested in running an ad for your business or kiting event?  Contact Steve at advertise.gwtwkites@gmail.com for a quote.

kmacFab
kmacFab

Kite Classifieds Ad
Kite Classifieds

A Wind Of Change
A Wind Of Change

Kitebookie
Kitebookie.com

Untitled Document

Untitled Document
Untitled Document

A Wind Of Change