nimh
(1/2) > >>
ko:
My batteries are getting a little long in the tooth. I have had really good luck with the Rayovac Hybrids they seem to be honest with there numbers and are fairly well matched. AA come in at around 2100 aaa 900 The aa work amazingly well in my camera. I know I probably wont get the higher numbers with the pre-charged type .But at least you can keep them in things you dont use all of the time. Anyway I would appreciate any input on some good batteries The selection out there reads like Chinese takeout
Thanks ,Kurt
chilese:
I buy my batteries (and my charger) from

Thomas Distributing.

Recently purchased some of the new

"Low Discharge" AA batteries for my Nikon strobe.

http://www.thomasdistributing.com/AA-Low-Discharge-Batteries_c_677.html

Here is the charger purchased at the same time.

http://www.thomasdistributing.com/-MAHA-MH-C808M-AA--AAA--C--D-Battery-Charger_p_244.html

The low discharge batteries don't have quite as high a storage, but they hold

their charge for months (not perfectly of course).

tpatter:
I've had great luck with he Sanyo eneloops

http://www.amazon.com/Sanyo-Eneloop-Pre-Charged-Rechargeable-Batteries/dp/B000IV2YLY/ref=sr_1_4?ie=UTF8&qid=1353809442&sr=8-4&keywords=eneloop+batteries+aaa
zippy8:
I've had pretty much equal amounts of "luck" with brands like Energizer, own label items from Biltema and who-the-hell stuff from Co/Tech. The trick lies in taking care of them, not so much in the name.

If you're using a plug-into-the-wall charger you're almost certainly damaging them each and every time you recharge them, even more so if you do this in multiples. A proper cycling charger with both peak and temperature sensing will do wonders and may even bring knackered cells back to a semblance of life and keep them out of the rubbish bin. Oh yes, and "fast charging" commercial AAs and AAAs will trash them in short order. Sorry John  :(

Spend your money on a proper charger.

Mike.
Jeepster:
I'm a heavy user of two GPS units.  I've finally settled on the Sanyo eneloop batteries as being the best option.  Sanyo is very honest with their capacity numbers.  The eneloop cells also hold a charge for several months with very little self-discharge, which is important if you have extra cells that don't see constant usage.  About a 18 months ago, the Sanyo cells were the only ones being built in Japan where the quality control is excellent ... that was the tipping point.

My main charger is a LaCrosse BC-1000 (no longer available as a new product).  Recently I needed to charge more than four cells at a time, so bought a LaCrosse BC-700 unit which is every bit as good as the previous model.  I've stopped using the higher charge rates and only use the 500mAh rates, so both units function the same for my application.  Both units will only work off household voltage ... hasn't been a problem since I have more cells than necessary.

I can recommend the above components without any reservation.  There are other good chargers available ... John's MaHa charger is a good one, just a little too expensive for my application.  What ever you buy, just make sure they charge each cell separately at a low charge rate ... a charge rate of 20 to 25% of cell capacity works well with negligible heat build up in the cells when charging.  As others have already stated, heat is the enemy of longevity.  My eneloop cells are approximately 18 months old and still don't show any reduction in capacity.

Cheers,
Tom
Navigation
Message Index
Next page