GWTW Forum
December 20, 2014, 01:00 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Forum Info Login Register Chat  
Welcome to the GWTW Forum.
Guests (non-registered users) can view the forum but are unable to post.  If you don't have anything to say then why would you bother to register?
One of the most popular sections of the GWTW Forum has long been the Swap Meet.  A great place to sell old, seldom flown kites or to get great deals on used (gently flown) kites.  Only registered users can see the Swap Meet section, let alone wheel and deal.  1000's (literally) of kites have changed hands thanks to the Swap Meet.
There are several more benefits to being a registered user, but you'll have to join our little community to find out all the "secrets".
Questions or concerns? Contact Steve ... just drop an email to: forum.gwtwkites@gmail.com

Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Epic day of flying  (Read 1938 times)
tpatter
Trade Count: (+24)

« on: November 25, 2012, 04:43 PM »

We've had some very bad weather in the Seattle area for weeks now - mostly constant rain with no wind.   It's usually always wet here, but we get nice breaks of sun and wind most often, so it has been tough.

Today, we were treated not only to lots of sun, but also decent afternoon wind, so I took advantage of it!  Smiley

Winds were very light starting out, so I had these 2 out for the first couple hours.

There was literally nothing in the beginning, so I played around with the TNT Zero catching what breeze I could and then doing 360s. 

Thankfully, it starting getting a little stronger over the next hour and it all became much more fun - I could just stand there and fly.  I the pulled out my Tekken SUL.  The wind was up and down, but getting continually stronger, so I kept switching between the kites having fun.  After a while, it got too strong for the zero and I kept on the Tek.  Just super sweet winds, having all kinds of fun and working on getting my taz a bit to get it to 100% and just having a good time.

After awhile, the wind really started picking up and, while the Tek was doing fine, I thought it better to switch out to something else, so I pulled these babies out.

And let the good times roll!  Smiley.

It remained fairly strong for most of the afternoon and then eased back down to the light stuff towards dusk so I switched again.

And isn't this a nice looking couple?! 

Just thought I'd share my fantastic afternoon out! 

Tom

« Last Edit: November 25, 2012, 04:51 PM by tpatter » Logged

6 kite tom
chilese
Global Moderator
Trade Count: (+5)

« Reply #1 on: November 25, 2012, 05:08 PM »

That's a nice trio of kites to have available.  Smiley

John Chilese: Las Vegas, NV
http://picasaweb.google.com/chilesej
lylenc
Trade Count: (+1)

« Reply #2 on: November 25, 2012, 05:39 PM »

Nice quartet, too. Great looking Vendetta.

Craig     Walla Walla, WA     Just One More!
trigger
Trade Count: (0)

« Reply #3 on: November 25, 2012, 07:07 PM »

Very nice. Its great to hear about peoples daily flights.  I had 2 kites out today for the first time. My rev and zephyr.... i refuse to be restricted to one or the other!

Good winds to ya!
tpatter

« Reply #4 on: November 25, 2012, 08:43 PM »

Thanks guys, I do enjoy the kites.   The Vendetta is not mine - I recently borrowed it, this was my first time flying it.  Nice kite - I had a great time with it.  It's a beauty.

6 kite tom
chilese
Global Moderator

« Reply #5 on: November 25, 2012, 09:05 PM »

Sorry about the trio comment.

All of Lam's kite look alike to me.  Smiley

zippy8
Board Moderator
Trade Count: (+13)

« Reply #6 on: November 25, 2012, 09:12 PM »

All of Lam's kite look alike to me.  Smiley

Frazer provided this handy guide.

He did miss out the hybrid Fearless Devil though. Shoddy work  Angry

Mike.

Virtual Freestyle - ǝlʎʇsǝǝɹɟ lɐnʇɹıʌ
Allen Carter
Board Moderator
Trade Count: (+20)

« Reply #7 on: November 25, 2012, 10:16 PM »

Shoddy indeed, that's not a Master Control, it's a Sky Master.  Wink

The Master Control has a more angular sail and less curvy graphics, too.

Allen, AKA kitehead
chilese
Global Moderator

« Reply #8 on: November 25, 2012, 10:36 PM »

I own and enjoy 2 of Lam's kites.

Considering Mr. Worley took the Master Control photo
from my site, I'm surprised he mislabeled it.

Master Control:

SkyMaster:
« Last Edit: November 25, 2012, 10:38 PM by chilese » Logged

Kareloh
Trade Count: (+2)

« Reply #9 on: November 26, 2012, 07:16 AM »

That Vendetta looks very nice indeed!
Wayner
Trade Count: (+18)

« Reply #10 on: November 26, 2012, 05:39 PM »

Nice pictures all.

Great to see the evolution of Lam's kites. Personally, still like the eyes on his lastest kites.

tpatter

« Reply #11 on: November 26, 2012, 10:06 PM »

That Vendetta looks very nice indeed!

I thought it might catch your eye.  The picture doesn't really do it justice - nice combo of purple, grey, white, black.  Probably the most masculine looking purple kite I've seen. 

6 kite tom
dihongshao2000

« Reply #12 on: December 24, 2012, 10:59 PM »

For weeks I have not had a chance to fly kites with Tom mostly due to Seattle’s rainy winter days or schedule conflicts.  Today, we had an EPIC day of flying.  The weather was very cooperative and wind was great.  Flew from 10:30 am to 2:30 pm, and recorded almost 14,000 steps on my pedometer.

I am one of these lucky kiters who is able to fly with Tom regularly.  This allows me to try out almost all the kites through his hands including Fearless, Transformer, Black Pearl, TNT, Nirvana, Nirvana FX, Next up, NSE 15, Ghost, and most recently Tekken.  The most fun part of flying with Tom, besides the kite flying itself, is being able to exchange ideas and discuss pros and cons of various kites after test flying them.

I started with my “cheap” kites and then my Revolution.  When the wind dropped to 3 mph, I tried Tom’s Tekken SUL.  It tricks like a dream for very little wind.  It is trickier than Fearless SUL and does all the tricks I know how including yoyo which most SUL kites would not do.  I even pulled a Taz without much trying.  This only happened to me when I flew NSE 15 which pretty much gives Taz away due to its heavier lower leading edge.  We flew Tekken SUL even when the wind picked up to 7 mph.  It still did everything I know how.  When wind picked up further, I was able to try out Tom’s Tekken Vented.  Transitioning from SUL to Vented is like flying the same kite.  The only difference is that SUL is a bit slower.  In between, I was able to fly Transformer, Tekken Standard, my “cheap” kites, and my Rev.  What a fun Christmas Eve day!!!

I think there is a Tekken that has not been made yet, which is the Tekken Vented Light similar to Fearless Vented Light.  It will be a one kite quiver for wind from 2 to 20 mph.  As soon as it comes out, Tom will most likely be the first to get his hands on it.  Hopefully, I will be the one to follow.  By then, I hope to pick up a Fearless Vented Light for cheap  Wink

Thank you all for reading this lengthy posting.  Thank you Tom for your long lasting friendship  Smiley

Merry Christmas to you all !!!
« Last Edit: December 25, 2012, 12:16 PM by dihongshao2000 » Logged
tpatter

« Reply #13 on: December 24, 2012, 11:19 PM »

It was a great day my friend!  Good wind, weather, company, and kites - who could ask for more!   Smiley

Lam has a winner with the Tekken.  The SUL is da bomb!

Lets do it all again soon.  Smiley

6 kite tom
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

kmacFab
kmacFab

Kite Classifieds Ad
Kite Classifieds

A Wind Of Change
A Wind Of Change

Untitled Document
Untitled Document

Kite Classifieds Ad
Fly Market

A Wind Of Change
skyshark

Kitebookie
Kitebookie.com

Untitled Document

Untitled Document
Untitled Document

Our forum is made possible by the good folks whose ads appear above and by the members of our community (PayPal donation button at bottom)
In case you missed it each ad is linked to the sponsors web site.  So please, take a moment and visit our sponsors sites as this forum wouldn't be possible with out them.
Interested in running an ad for your business or kiting event?  Contact Steve at advertise.gwtwkites@gmail.com for a quote.

Cal Custom

Support the GWTW Forum