GWTW Forum
December 22, 2014, 09:55 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Forum Info Login Register Chat  
Welcome to the GWTW Forum.
Guests (non-registered users) can view the forum but are unable to post.  If you don't have anything to say then why would you bother to register?
One of the most popular sections of the GWTW Forum has long been the Swap Meet.  A great place to sell old, seldom flown kites or to get great deals on used (gently flown) kites.  Only registered users can see the Swap Meet section, let alone wheel and deal.  1000's (literally) of kites have changed hands thanks to the Swap Meet.
There are several more benefits to being a registered user, but you'll have to join our little community to find out all the "secrets".
Questions or concerns? Contact Steve ... just drop an email to: forum.gwtwkites@gmail.com

Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Sometimes a good time is out your backdoor.  (Read 1371 times)
vertigo2u
Trade Count: (+5)

« on: November 28, 2012, 11:04 PM »

Weather has been terrible for flying.  Been some nice days but No wind.  I flew last week at the beach in a Fog.  I should post my "Slide" in the fog.  I live on a small park.  All the houses surround the park with an entrance at each end.  Few childrens play things but mostly open.  The summer time the trees block the wind as do the houses.  Not a good place to fly.  We do put up single lines kites.  But dangerous trees.  I couldn't take it anymore today and decided to give it a try...  Turned out to be a nice surprise.  When I was done I packed up and I was home.  I put the kite together in the Sun Room warm...  I put the tripod on the end of the deck.. then into the field when I found out I could actually fly there...  No leaves on the trees.  Hurray !!!
I keep practicing slides and low level control.  Walking the kite and tip take off's..

P.S.- The distance from my back fence and across on a diag. is a good 9 Iron.  PW from my fence to top of small mound is 30 yds. 

Backyard Flying

Kite Bag:  Solus ul, Solus std, Pro Dancer SUL, Widow Maker,Widow Maker UL, Ocius SUL, Vision,Vison 5 stack
Baby "Zoomer". Symphony 1.8 para foil...
Ara Ararauna
Trade Count: (0)

« Reply #1 on: November 29, 2012, 03:20 AM »

Wow, that's really nice! You're darn lucky.  Smiley
But had I been you I would have surely tried it much earlier... like the first day I had a kite I would have tried to fly it there  Wink
I try all the spots I find, whether they really have possibilities or whether they seem to me (and my need to find a place to fly) they have any possibilities.

Nice tricks and video too. The light is fantastic! And the kite shines really nice.
You could even use one of the nicest frames of the video for a Christmas to family and friends  Wink
Cheers!

In my bag...
Duals: NoName (NoBrand), Nexus (Prism), Soul (Flying Wings), Talon UL (JoE), LeQuartz (own build), Illusion Classic (Prism), Aura SUL custom (Skyburner), Sixth Sense STD (Krijn)
Singles: Conyne STD (my design)
trigger

« Reply #2 on: November 29, 2012, 08:01 AM »

very nice!  the winds are starting to get better on this side of the state.  I am lucky to have a field just 5 blocks from my house that is perfect! It is a major roadway though which keeps me doing stuff in my comfort zone.  I hate doing the walk of shame.

glad to see you are still getting out there.  Do you fly through the snowy season?  I have my outfit ready... flew in 25 degrees the other day and was fine Smiley
vertigo2u

« Reply #3 on: November 29, 2012, 09:24 AM »

I got the Cold weather gear all set.  I have to be careful my left arm has some nerve damage and I have to protect my left hand from cold.  Got some winter Golf gloves with nice inner grip.  Here is last week at the Beach and huge Fog bank... Been working on slides.  I guess it's like Putting you have to get the right feel.  Any Help on Slides Huh

Slide

Kite Bag:  Solus ul, Solus std, Pro Dancer SUL, Widow Maker,Widow Maker UL, Ocius SUL, Vision,Vison 5 stack
Ara Ararauna

« Reply #4 on: November 29, 2012, 09:47 AM »

Nice!
Good the first kite is clearly visible in that bright orange.
No place for flying SULs that tend to be very white or light coloured  Wink

I'm amazed that there's wind and such a fog at the same time...  Huh
I would have thought that wind would clear the fog away...

Those slides are coming out quite nice.
I do have troubles with my slides, which are so short one would not really call them slides   Embarrassed

I would also appreciate some expert advice on that.

In my bag...
Duals: NoName (NoBrand), Nexus (Prism), Soul (Flying Wings), Talon UL (JoE), LeQuartz (own build), Illusion Classic (Prism), Aura SUL custom (Skyburner), Sixth Sense STD (Krijn)
Singles: Conyne STD (my design)
Wayner
Trade Count: (+18)

« Reply #5 on: November 29, 2012, 12:53 PM »

Wow you flying continues to improve. Love those slides.  Smiley

Burr, you look cold.   Sad   

I complain about my 100+ weather in the summer, but today it mid 60's with no coat required. I guess we all have difficult time of year to fly.
vertigo2u

« Reply #6 on: November 30, 2012, 10:57 AM »

How do you remeber all of this stuff.  I thought you had demitia by this time...  Cheesy Cheesy Cheesy Cheesy Cheesy Cheesy Cheesy Cheesy Cheesy Cheesy Cheesy  You know I love Ya'...   Cheesy Cheesy Cheesy Cheesy  Thanks for the info.  I knew it was some place just didn't know were to look.  How did you find it.. Is there a search or something...  Thanks Norm..

Re: Help !! I am trying to "Slide"

Reply #9 on: April 03, 2012, 02:11 PM

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Doesn't look like you need much help, just practice a few zillion times.

I think the down turn and pop or whatever you do is over rated. It helps to start the slide, but it's not like the momentum from that move helps it slide very far.  It's up to you to make it slide.

I'd say the most effective way to learn is indoors or in very light wind. That way you control everything and don't have to deal with bumpy wind. The only thing that makes side sliding hard is wind that isn't smooth. If you had perfectly smooth wind, you could lock in a side slide and make almost zero adjustments.  Just like a sail boat sail. Set it and go.

An older school low aspect kite with a shallow sail will be the easiest. (trick tail god of side slides) Modern high aspect deep sail kites are a lot more unstable and have more resistance to going sideways.

(if you stall the kite and walk in the direction of the slide, that's not a side slide, that's stalling the kite and walking sideways. You want to use the whole win window - 180 degree arc. )

It's probably my favorite trick of all time.

Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

kmacFab
kmacFab

Kite Classifieds Ad
Kite Classifieds

A Wind Of Change
A Wind Of Change

Untitled Document
Untitled Document

Kite Classifieds Ad
Fly Market

A Wind Of Change
skyshark

Kitebookie
Kitebookie.com

Untitled Document

Untitled Document
Untitled Document

Our forum is made possible by the good folks whose ads appear above and by the members of our community (PayPal donation button at bottom)
In case you missed it each ad is linked to the sponsors web site.  So please, take a moment and visit our sponsors sites as this forum wouldn't be possible with out them.
Interested in running an ad for your business or kiting event?  Contact Steve at advertise.gwtwkites@gmail.com for a quote.

Cal Custom

Support the GWTW Forum