GWTW Forum
December 18, 2014, 07:18 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Forum Info Login Register Chat  
Welcome to the GWTW Forum.
Guests (non-registered users) can view the forum but are unable to post.  If you don't have anything to say then why would you bother to register?
One of the most popular sections of the GWTW Forum has long been the Swap Meet.  A great place to sell old, seldom flown kites or to get great deals on used (gently flown) kites.  Only registered users can see the Swap Meet section, let alone wheel and deal.  1000's (literally) of kites have changed hands thanks to the Swap Meet.
There are several more benefits to being a registered user, but you'll have to join our little community to find out all the "secrets".
Questions or concerns? Contact Steve ... just drop an email to: forum.gwtwkites@gmail.com

Pages: [1] 2 3   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Sixth Sense Color Combos  (Read 4092 times)
photogbill
Trade Count: (+2)

« on: November 29, 2012, 01:08 PM »

I borrowed a Sixth Sense Photo and used it as a template in Photoshop to come up with a couple color options I like for possible Sixth Sense build/builds!

What do you think?

And yes...the one panel will be Mylar!  Wink
chilese
Global Moderator
Trade Count: (+5)

« Reply #1 on: November 29, 2012, 01:24 PM »

Ah, if only the colors on kites were that pure....

I am a fan of red/yellow combinations and like the mylar.

Red/Yellow Trident:

John Chilese: Las Vegas, NV
http://picasaweb.google.com/chilesej
photogbill

« Reply #2 on: November 29, 2012, 01:52 PM »

Thanks John! I wasn't always a fan of that color combo until I flew a friends 'Indian' NFX Extend in the sunlight! From that point on, I became a big fan!

So much so that I built a couple of these:
tpatter
Trade Count: (+24)

« Reply #3 on: November 29, 2012, 02:24 PM »

Love the purple one - looks sharp and it a royal color.

6 kite tom
photogbill

« Reply #4 on: November 29, 2012, 02:44 PM »

Thanks Tom! That was actually the 1st color combo I came up with. I have all the colors of ripstop poly I need but the lavender ripstop I have has is not PC31 and has much smaller checkered weave. I don't think that would be a major issue as to flight characteristics ...after all ...the Mylar panels aren't exactly from the original specs either!
Krijn
Trade Count: (+3)

« Reply #5 on: December 08, 2012, 07:20 AM »

Hey, that's my back yard!  Wink

I like the purple one most.
I don't think the mylar makes any difference, by the way.

Krijn
photogbill

« Reply #6 on: December 08, 2012, 11:18 AM »

Krijn,

Thanks for the use of your "back yard" .... Wink ...Oh yeah ....& your nice looking Sixth Sense! I'm actually making both color versions (one is for a good friend & flying buddy) at the same time. I have all the main panels cut out for the 'purple' one and will start assembling it today with one minor change. I've decided to use charcoal grey in place of the 'lavender' panels. It should look something like this:

I'm also using a different type of mylar. I'm using the small check-pattern mylar instead of the diamond pattern stuff I used in my illustrations! Here's how the yellow/orange/red one is shaping up:

I have a couple more questions if you or any other Sixth Sense builders wouldn't mind. First did you use a leech line in the trailing edge of yours? Also, there wasn't a 'X' to mark the spots on the upper & lower leading edge for placement of the spreader connectors (only for the yo-yo stopper placement), so I'm guessing that the proper position is 'dead center' in the cut-out box areas of the LE!?

sugarbaker
Trade Count: (+7)

« Reply #7 on: December 08, 2012, 12:48 PM »

I did use a leech line in both of the SS (a std and an ul).  As for placement of the leading edge connectors, take a look at the separate frame plan that is available (.jpg file I believe) that shows the frame dimensions.  If I recall correctly, one side of the diagram shows the spar lengths for the LE and the other side of the diagram shows connector distance from the nose of the kite.
photogbill

« Reply #8 on: December 08, 2012, 06:26 PM »

I did use a leech line in both of the SS (a std and an ul).  As for placement of the leading edge connectors, take a look at the separate frame plan that is available (.jpg file I believe) that shows the frame dimensions.  If I recall correctly, one side of the diagram shows the spar lengths for the LE and the other side of the diagram shows connector distance from the nose of the kite.

OK ...I'll check that out! I saw it but didn't look at it carefully yet! Which one do you like the best ...the std? or the UL? Do they both trick equally well? I was leaning towards doing ULs but not fully decided yet!
sugarbaker
Trade Count: (+7)

« Reply #9 on: December 12, 2012, 03:15 PM »

I actually don't have a recommendation on which kite to build... ironically both of the SS kites I've built have gone to other people without me flying them.  I'm currently getting ready to build a new Std.  It will be quite a while before I build a UL.  Krijn has both (his Std made by me and UL by him).  He can probably comment on the differences.  Keep us posted on your builds!
photogbill

« Reply #10 on: December 12, 2012, 08:39 PM »

I actually don't have a recommendation on which kite to build... ironically both of the SS kites I've built have gone to other people without me flying them.  I'm currently getting ready to build a new Std.  It will be quite a while before I build a UL.  Krijn has both (his Std made by me and UL by him).  He can probably comment on the differences.  Keep us posted on your builds!

I decided to go with ULs for both! Going with the 'Competition' framing of P100s with 3PT lower spreaders!

He's where I'm at with the one that I'll be keeping for myself:

Ara Ararauna
Trade Count: (0)

« Reply #11 on: December 13, 2012, 02:27 AM »

Very nice!
I like the pin striping. Very neat.  Smiley

How do you stick it on the wall though?!?!  Huh

In my bag...
Duals: NoName (NoBrand), Nexus (Prism), Soul (Flying Wings), Talon UL (JoE), LeQuartz (own build), Illusion Classic (Prism), Aura SUL custom (Skyburner), Sixth Sense STD (Krijn)
Singles: Conyne STD (my design)
photogbill

« Reply #12 on: December 13, 2012, 08:16 AM »

Very nice!
I like the pin striping. Very neat.  Smiley

How do you stick it on the wall though?!?!  Huh

Thanks! I thought the pin striping improved the looks as well! I just hope the 1.5 oz. rip-stop I used doesn't fray too much. I cold cut the strips for the pin striping & didn't have any insignia tape! I haven't sewn the panels yet & hope the extra layer of seam tape doesn't gum up my needle when sewing!

I plan on using a size #80/11 sewing needle, hoping it will not gunk up as much as the #90/14 needles I've often used in the past. ....and liberally applying 'Sewer's Aid' as well.

Does anyone have other suggestions that will help in the future? Would Insignia tape be a better material to use for pin striping?

I also came up with a unique way of making a kite nose while I was making a few L'Organics, a couple years ago! I use semi- heavy duty denier nylon instead of seat-belt material & cut the material out & fold it in a way that doesn't require hot-melting the outer edge. I'm a little pressed for time right now but will post pictures to illustrate later on if anyone is interested.

....and as for hanging the kite on the wall? ...LOL ...a little static electricity in the kite and a few strategic pieces of scotch tape does the trick!  Wink
Ara Ararauna

« Reply #13 on: December 13, 2012, 12:19 PM »

I also came up with a unique way of making a kite nose while I was making a few L'Organics, a couple years ago! I use semi- heavy duty denier nylon instead of seat-belt material & cut the material out & fold it in a way that doesn't require hot-melting the outer edge. I'm a little pressed for time right now but will post pictures to illustrate later on if anyone is interested.

....and as for hanging the kite on the wall? ...LOL ...a little static electricity in the kite and a few strategic pieces of scotch tape does the trick!  Wink

Hey I'm building my Le Quartz and still have not got a clue on how I'm going to solve the nose step. I would really be interested in how you did it!   Smiley

LOL about the static electricity. I should have thought about it!  Cheesy

In my bag...
Duals: NoName (NoBrand), Nexus (Prism), Soul (Flying Wings), Talon UL (JoE), LeQuartz (own build), Illusion Classic (Prism), Aura SUL custom (Skyburner), Sixth Sense STD (Krijn)
Singles: Conyne STD (my design)
HiFly

« Reply #14 on: December 13, 2012, 12:25 PM »

folding nose
http://www.drachenforum.net/artikel/zeige_artikel.php?id=96

Mike
Pages: [1] 2 3   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

kmacFab
kmacFab

Kite Classifieds Ad
Kite Classifieds

A Wind Of Change
A Wind Of Change

Untitled Document
Untitled Document

Kite Classifieds Ad
Fly Market

A Wind Of Change
skyshark

Kitebookie
Kitebookie.com

Untitled Document

Untitled Document
Untitled Document

Our forum is made possible by the good folks whose ads appear above and by the members of our community (PayPal donation button at bottom)
In case you missed it each ad is linked to the sponsors web site.  So please, take a moment and visit our sponsors sites as this forum wouldn't be possible with out them.
Interested in running an ad for your business or kiting event?  Contact Steve at advertise.gwtwkites@gmail.com for a quote.

Cal Custom

Support the GWTW Forum