GWTW Forum
September 21, 2014, 05:07 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Forum Info Login Register Chat  
Welcome to the GWTW Forum.
Guests (non-registered users) can view the forum but are unable to post.  If you don't have anything to say then why would you bother to register?
One of the most popular sections of the GWTW Forum has long been the Swap Meet.  A great place to sell old, seldom flown kites or to get great deals on used (gently flown) kites.  Only registered users can see the Swap Meet section, let alone wheel and deal.  1000's (literally) of kites have changed hands thanks to the Swap Meet.
There are several more benefits to being a registered user, but you'll have to join our little community to find out all the "secrets".
Questions or concerns? Contact Steve ... just drop an email to: forum.gwtwkites@gmail.com

Pages: 1 [2] 3   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Sixth Sense Color Combos  (Read 3646 times)
mikenchico
Board Moderator
Trade Count: (0)

« Reply #15 on: December 14, 2012, 08:03 AM »

... I haven't sewn the panels yet & hope the extra layer of seam tape doesn't gum up my needle when sewing!

I plan on using a size #80/11 sewing needle, hoping it will not gunk up as much as the #90/14 needles I've often used in the past. ....and liberally applying 'Sewer's Aid' as well.

Does anyone have other suggestions that will help in the future? Would Insignia tape be a better material to use for pin striping?

I don't think insignia tape would be better, the stuff I've seen has some pretty heavy adhesive on it. I don't know what tape you used but letting it sit like you have helps, the adhesive will do it's thing and fill in the pores of the fabric thus increasing its bond to the fabric so it won't transfer to the needle as easlily. But much of the adhesive is transferring to the sewing thread then to the needle so lubing the needle isn't a complete cure, using a larger needle with a deeper groove is a help like you're thinking but have you ever tried using a thread oiler? I haven't myself but hear some having good results. You can buy one or just place a small piece of foam or felt along the thread track so the thread touches it as it is pulled along and soak the pad in your Sewers Aid or Silicon oil.

"Living is easy with eyes closed, misunderstanding all you see" John W Lennon

"People do not quit playing because they grow old, they grow old because they quit playing" George Bernard Shaw
tpatter
Trade Count: (+21)

« Reply #16 on: December 14, 2012, 09:30 AM »

What is the shiny material that r-sky uses? 

6 kite tom
Ca Ike
Trade Count: (+24)

« Reply #17 on: December 14, 2012, 11:14 AM »

I haven't had insignia tape gum up my machines at all.  I do use a thread oiler set up though when sewing through  seam tapes.  I just put some velcro on top of the machine with a bit of CA to hold it there (loop part) and use the hook part to hold the thread in the velcro.  I use a good mineral oil though not silicon.  Silicon is not picked up by poly threads as easily and it dries out fast so you have to keep the oiler well soaked.  With a good mineral oil it seems to transfer to the needle better as you sew so you don't have to oil the needle as much.
Ara Ararauna
Trade Count: (0)

« Reply #18 on: December 14, 2012, 11:34 AM »

Hi,

OK, wait a minute. Stop right there.

I've been following all this about oiling the thread and I'm really mesmerized.  Huh
I'm about to start sewing my Le Quartz and I am starting to see ghosts everywhere trying to break my thread, and creating all sorts of problems in my cleanly cut and neatly stuck together sail...  Sad

Now, my questions are:

1. If I don't oil the thread, will I have problems in sewing the sail?
2. If I DO oil the thread, will my wife kill me for having made the machine all dirty?
3. Supposing she doesn't kill me and there is a way of cleaning everything, where can one get this mineral oil?

Thanks.

In my bag...
Duals: NoName (NoBrand), Nexus (Prism), Soul (Flying Wings), Talon UL (JoE), LeQuartz (own build), Illusion Classic (Prism), Aura SUL custom (Skyburner), Sixth Sense STD (Krijn)
Singles: Conyne STD (my design)
madhabitz
Trade Count: (+4)

« Reply #19 on: December 14, 2012, 11:47 AM »

Anthony, aren't you concerned about the oil staining the fabric? Oil is going to stay oily for a long time and it will tend to pick up dirt. Mineral oil might even become gummy after awhile, moreso than a light machine oil. The fact that the silicon dries out seems like a good thing, eh?

Ara, mineral oil can be found in drug stores here in the States. Maybe in Spain as well?

Nancy

"I haven't failed. I've just found ten-thousand ways that won't work."   -Thomas Edison
madhabitz

« Reply #20 on: December 14, 2012, 11:55 AM »

Also Ara, it's a really really good thing to use leftover pieces of the same fabric of your sewing project to test sew before beginning a project. That way you can see if the needle you are using works for this fabric and you can also test thread tensioning, stitch length (stitches per inch/mm), etc. Doing this for each new project will minimize problems and wasted fabric, even if you use the same kind of fabric each time. It's a good habit to develop.

Nancy

"I haven't failed. I've just found ten-thousand ways that won't work."   -Thomas Edison
madhabitz

« Reply #21 on: December 14, 2012, 01:41 PM »

.....and another thing (lol, always)

There are lubricants sold that are especially made for lubricating sewing machine thread as you sew. Some come with dispenser, though Anthonys setup sounds good. You only need a couple of drops at a time to do the job. You can google to find it or maybe your local fabric shop will have it for sale.

The big thing is that you don't want to pre-lube your thread in the bobbin, especially if it's made of plastic as those machine parts will likely deteriorate.

Nancy

photogbill
Trade Count: (+2)

« Reply #22 on: December 14, 2012, 07:15 PM »

That is very similar to how I do my kite noses. And here I thought I was being original!  Embarrassed

Anyway. I don't sew along the leading edge on mine. Instead, I sew a straight stitch along the bottom edge of the front of the nose-piece out to the LE strip stitches.
photogbill

« Reply #23 on: December 14, 2012, 07:21 PM »

... I haven't sewn the panels yet & hope the extra layer of seam tape doesn't gum up my needle when sewing!

I plan on using a size #80/11 sewing needle, hoping it will not gunk up as much as the #90/14 needles I've often used in the past. ....and liberally applying 'Sewer's Aid' as well.

Does anyone have other suggestions that will help in the future? Would Insignia tape be a better material to use for pin striping?

I don't think insignia tape would be better, the stuff I've seen has some pretty heavy adhesive on it. I don't know what tape you used but letting it sit like you have helps, the adhesive will do it's thing and fill in the pores of the fabric thus increasing its bond to the fabric so it won't transfer to the needle as easlily. But much of the adhesive is transferring to the sewing thread then to the needle so lubing the needle isn't a complete cure, using a larger needle with a deeper groove is a help like you're thinking but have you ever tried using a thread oiler? I haven't myself but hear some having good results. You can buy one or just place a small piece of foam or felt along the thread track so the thread touches it as it is pulled along and soak the pad in your Sewers Aid or Silicon oil.

Great tips Mike. I hadn't realized that letting the sails sit for awhile after seam taping them would be advantageous! Also, I like your above tip of soaking a foam or felt pad! Thanks a million! It might use up a lot of Sewers Aid but would be well worth it if it prevents those ugly knotted up bunches of thread that jam up my needle & bobbin if not caught in time. Also, I was thinking that a smaller size sewing needle would be better. Am I understanding you correctly, that a larger needle would be preferable?
photogbill

« Reply #24 on: December 14, 2012, 07:24 PM »

I haven't had insignia tape gum up my machines at all.  I do use a thread oiler set up though when sewing through  seam tapes.  I just put some velcro on top of the machine with a bit of CA to hold it there (loop part) and use the hook part to hold the thread in the velcro.  I use a good mineral oil though not silicon.  Silicon is not picked up by poly threads as easily and it dries out fast so you have to keep the oiler well soaked.  With a good mineral oil it seems to transfer to the needle better as you sew so you don't have to oil the needle as much.

Hmmmmm...sounds good but does the 'mineral oil' affect the adhesion of the seam tape or damage the rip-stop? I like the velcro 'oiling pad' idea! Sounds easy & simple to set up! What type of 'mineral oil' do you use & where to get it?
photogbill

« Reply #25 on: December 14, 2012, 07:26 PM »

Anthony, aren't you concerned about the oil staining the fabric? Oil is going to stay oily for a long time and it will tend to pick up dirt. Mineral oil might even become gummy after awhile, moreso than a light machine oil. The fact that the silicon dries out seems like a good thing, eh?

Ara, mineral oil can be found in drug stores here in the States. Maybe in Spain as well?

Nancy

Thanks Nancey ....you just confirmed my concerns about mineral oil! I think I'll stick with Silicone or Sewer's Aid!
Ca Ike

« Reply #26 on: December 14, 2012, 10:24 PM »

Nancy
Light machine oil is ok but if you use too much, being petroleum based and a bit acidic, it can weaken the fabric.  Mineral oil will biodegrade after a while and its removeable with dish soap. It also doesn't react as much to sunlight where machine oil can get  hot enough to melt the thread and fabric. When you oil the thread as it feeds you don't get oil on anything other then the edges of the hole the thread goes through and the needle by transference.  Lately I've been using vegetable oil with good results and if you really want to get green a shot of pam on the needle works too.  IF you use velcro or some other oiling pad and get too much the excess will get pulled off by the thread guides of the machine and I have yet to have a machine gummed up from oils.  Biggest problem I have with silicon oil is it tends to dry out fast and doesn't stick to poly thread to get a good coat. 
Ca Ike

« Reply #27 on: December 14, 2012, 10:32 PM »

Hmmmmm...sounds good but does the 'mineral oil' affect the adhesion of the seam tape or damage the rip-stop? I like the velcro 'oiling pad' idea! Sounds easy & simple to set up! What type of 'mineral oil' do you use & where to get it?
Your worrying about nothing really.  You don't use enough to affect anything other than the thread and any oil that transfers to the fabric from the thread tends to be microscopic in amount.  You'll get more staining from moisture transfering the dye than you will from the oil.  IF you don't rig up an oil pad just use a q-tip dipped in the oil to coat the needle.  The mineral oil I use I get from most any store that has a cosmetics section or the mineral based fishing reel lube.
madhabitz

« Reply #28 on: December 15, 2012, 05:53 PM »

Light machine oil is ok but if you use too much, being petroleum based and a bit acidic, it can weaken the fabric.  Mineral oil will biodegrade after a while and its removeable with dish soap. It also doesn't react as much to sunlight where machine oil can get  hot enough to melt the thread and fabric. When you oil the thread as it feeds you don't get oil on anything other then the edges of the hole the thread goes through and the needle by transference.  Lately I've been using vegetable oil with good results and if you really want to get green a shot of pam on the needle works too.  IF you use velcro or some other oiling pad and get too much the excess will get pulled off by the thread guides of the machine and I have yet to have a machine gummed up from oils.  Biggest problem I have with silicon oil is it tends to dry out fast and doesn't stick to poly thread to get a good coat. 

"mineral oil is a liquid by-product of the distillation of petroleum to produce gasoline and other petroleum-based products from crude oil" (source: Wikipedia)

just sayin'

photogbill

« Reply #29 on: December 17, 2012, 09:59 AM »

I took your idea of using a piece of velcro to make a 'thread oiler' and it worked like a charm. I only had to use the 'loop part' due to strategically placing it on my sewing machine right before the final thread guide where the tread would naturally ride over top of my velcro. I liberally kept the needle and velcro oiler lubricated and never had a problem with my needle gumming up.

I just wanted to thank you others again for those great suggestions!
Pages: 1 [2] 3   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

items purchased through the links below help support the forum

Cal Custom

Our forum is made possible by the good folks whose ads appear below and by the members of our community (PayPal donation button at bottom)
In case you missed it each ad is linked to the sponsors web site.  So please, take a moment and visit our sponsors sites as this forum wouldn't be possible with out them.
Interested in running an ad for your business or kiting event?  Contact Steve at advertise.gwtwkites@gmail.com for a quote.

kmacFab
kmacFab

Kite Classifieds Ad
Kite Classifieds

A Wind Of Change
A Wind Of Change

Kitebookie
Kitebookie.com

Untitled Document

Untitled Document
Untitled Document

Untitled Document