GWTW Forum
August 22, 2014, 01:03 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Forum Info Login Register Chat  
Welcome to the GWTW Forum.
Guests (non-registered users) can view the forum but are unable to post.  If you don't have anything to say then why would you bother to register?
One of the most popular sections of the GWTW Forum has long been the Swap Meet.  A great place to sell old, seldom flown kites or to get great deals on used (gently flown) kites.  Only registered users can see the Swap Meet section, let alone wheel and deal.  1000's (literally) of kites have changed hands thanks to the Swap Meet.
There are several more benefits to being a registered user, but you'll have to join our little community to find out all the "secrets".
Questions or concerns? Contact Steve ... just drop an email to: forum.gwtwkites@gmail.com

Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Barcelona beach & 540s (some quite clean) + WoS  (Read 1375 times)
Ara Ararauna
Trade Count: (0)

« on: November 30, 2012, 02:11 PM »

Hi,

I went flying to the beach this afternoon. Really great afternoon!  Cheesy

I recorded myself doing some warm up with spin axels and then quite a few 540s.
Some of them came out really nice.  Cool
But in the end I had to do the walk of shame...  Sad   :'(

Soul (FW) Stunt Kite - Spin Axels + 540s + WoS

I think my stile though has still "some" margin for polishing...  Embarrassed

« Last Edit: November 30, 2012, 02:19 PM by Ara Ararauna » Logged

In my bag...
Duals: NoName (NoBrand), Nexus (Prism), Soul (Flying Wings), Talon UL (JoE), LeQuartz (own build), Illusion Classic (Prism), Aura SUL custom (Skyburner), Sixth Sense STD (Krijn)
Singles: Conyne STD (my design)
RobB
Trade Count: (+9)

« Reply #1 on: November 30, 2012, 05:50 PM »

Glad you found your way to some good wind. The 540s are looking good. I bet the sand haters are cringing watching your video.  Cheesy

One thing I would say about what I saw... the wind looked like it was blowing a little hard, like maybe 10mph or so. I would be doing my tricks off to one side or another of the wind window so I didn't have to run so much. It also makes it easier to get enough slack for a complete rotation.

ko
Trade Count: (+9)

« Reply #2 on: November 30, 2012, 07:03 PM »

great to see your hands down and by your sides. Your style is definitely improving. And its not the walk of shame... its the walk of contemplation lol
have fun Kurt PS SANDS the BEST(everybody else is just jealous)

have fun kurt
DWayne
Trade Count: (+10)

« Reply #3 on: November 30, 2012, 07:11 PM »

Very nice.  Cool

Denny

I always wanted to be a procrastinator..........
I just never got around to it.
Ara Ararauna

« Reply #4 on: December 01, 2012, 12:28 AM »

Thanks all!

RobB, the wind was actually not that strong. It's just me that I'm exaggerated   Roll Eyes   Embarrassed   Cheesy

The thing is that ever since I got the Soul I have had trouble stopping it with fades, flares, etc. So I've always tried to do it really strong.
Now that I'm starting to get the hang of it, I am discovering that I don't need to do that much of running. The two parts of the video were recorded very shortly after I had arrived at the beach. After an hour of being there I could do the same with much less steps and more kind of walking.  Smiley
I was just lazy to set up the camera again and record another video (I record with my mobile* and I have to balance it on the kite bag so it is a bit of a drag).

So I promise a much nicer style in future videos.
And also much lower 540s and on both sides...  Wink
Cheers.

* Samsung Galaxy SIII: Full HD video recording, I've "thrown away" all my other cameras...  Huh

In my bag...
Duals: NoName (NoBrand), Nexus (Prism), Soul (Flying Wings), Talon UL (JoE), LeQuartz (own build), Illusion Classic (Prism), Aura SUL custom (Skyburner), Sixth Sense STD (Krijn)
vertigo2u
Trade Count: (+4)

« Reply #5 on: December 01, 2012, 08:27 AM »

I saw some 540's Ara.  They look good.  You look like I did learning.  Exhausted.  This is some great advise Igot from Devin.  Do Not Put your arms behind you when getting ready.  When the kite starts to dive staright down.  Let it.  By pulling your arms back in the beginning you have no control to slow down when you need it.  You already took that advatage away when you atrted out with your arms in the back.  If you notice whn I did those power 540's.  I pulled down real hard.  By the time the kite got low it was empty of wind. Then pulled my arms back.  You bring your arms back at the end.  This creates the slack you need.  When your arms go forward and a step or two.

#1.) If you pull your arms back from the start you have no way to slow down the kite or create slkack other than moving forward quickly as you do in the video. 

Practice,practice,practice.

Remember you don't have to move so much.  Also Rob said do them on the side of the window.  The wind will help push it around so you can feel more confident.  Now do 1000....  Set that camera up and watch what you do...  It's your best friend out there by yourself.

btw... nice 540's... their fun.

Kite Bag:  Solus ul, Solus std, Pro Dancer SUL, Widow Maker,Widow Maker UL, Ocius SUL, Vision,Vison 5 stack
Baby "Zoomer". Symphony 1.8 para foil...
vertigo2u

« Reply #6 on: December 01, 2012, 08:33 AM »

P.S.- Change your grip.... I use to hold the kite like that and felt nothing.  It's like using the straps to create a whip like action.  Get those fingers on the lines.  I first put my fingers right under the top of the strapsand the loops of the lines in my hands.  ( check out video on grip.  Also Norms kite straps are the best thing since Coca Cola....  I recommend them to everyone.  I keep them on my favorite 100' 100 lb. lines.  Not December 31st. yet.

Kite Bag:  Solus ul, Solus std, Pro Dancer SUL, Widow Maker,Widow Maker UL, Ocius SUL, Vision,Vison 5 stack
Ara Ararauna

« Reply #7 on: December 01, 2012, 12:34 PM »

P.S.- Change your grip.... I use to hold the kite like that and felt nothing.  It's like using the straps to create a whip like action.  Get those fingers on the lines.  I first put my fingers right under the top of the strapsand the loops of the lines in my hands.  ( check out video on grip.  Also Norms kite straps are the best thing since Coca Cola....  I recommend them to everyone.  I keep them on my favorite 100' 100 lb. lines.  Not December 31st. yet.

Thanks for the comments.
I will indeed try this thing of keeping my arms beside me and only bringing them back at the end.

Concerning the grip... argh. I tried to have the loops in my hands and one afternoon I lost grip off them twice... with the corresponding crash of the kite.
So I went back to getting the loops in my wrists but I place my index finger on the top end of the strap to get a feel of what's going on and to make small adjustments...
I think I do get a feel of what is going on...   Roll Eyes

Now those straps from Norm look impressive!
Norm what material did you use to make them?

Cheers

P.S: BTW which video on grip are you referring to?

In my bag...
Ara Ararauna

« Reply #8 on: December 01, 2012, 02:29 PM »

Hi again.

I have been watching the 540 tutorial by mama74:
540 Studies

... and he does put his arms back during the dive of the kite...   Huh

So I am now puzzled.
Of course he does not do it as exaggerated as I do, but the wind in his video seems to be very light.
With wind that light I would not do such an exaggerated movement.

In any case, I'll try it in all fashions and see which adapts best to me.
Cheers.

In my bag...
vertigo2u

« Reply #9 on: December 01, 2012, 05:42 PM »

Near the end I fly the 540's up higher.  Notice the little effort when doing it higher in the air...

540 instruct
« Last Edit: December 01, 2012, 05:44 PM by vertigo2u » Logged

Wayner
Trade Count: (+16)

« Reply #10 on: December 01, 2012, 09:13 PM »

Wow big improvement in your 540.   Smiley

Now that I'm starting to get the hang of it, I am discovering that I don't need to do that much of running.

Grin

The two parts of the video were recorded very shortly after I had arrived at the beach. After an hour of being there I could do the same with much less steps and more kind of walking.  Smiley

So I promise a much nicer style in future videos.
And also much lower 540s and on both sides...  Wink
Cheers.

Practice, practice, practice.  Can't wait for more videos.  Wink

Wayner
Trade Count: (+16)

« Reply #11 on: December 01, 2012, 09:34 PM »

Hi again.

I have been watching the 540 tutorial by mama74:
... and he does put his arms back during the dive of the kite...   Huh

So I am now puzzled.
Of course he does not do it as exaggerated as I do, but the wind in his video seems to be very light.
With wind that light I would not do such an exaggerated movement.

The 540 input mama 74 uses is a short pop, it does not get longer as the wind speed increase.

Watch both videos again. Your input is a 3 to 5 foot long pull not a short pop. BIG difference. I know becasue Chilese has been yelling at me for almost a year to keep shorting up my input.  Sad 

P.S. Norm's straps are great. Well worth the earning them with his challange.
You earn a pair of flying straps and learn a new trick. Can't beat that.  Cool

Ara Ararauna

« Reply #12 on: December 01, 2012, 11:55 PM »

Near the end I fly the 540's up higher.  Notice the little effort when doing it higher in the air...

Yeah I have also studied your video and you got some really pretty 540s in there. But... ahem... I also see you arms going back a little  Wink

As Wayne says I must...
Practice, practice, practice.

About the straps challenge... this is not fair... it'll take ages until I can get any close to doing the AVFF...FFF !!!!
Can't I get only one set of wrist straps for, say, a backspin? I still haven't started to try it even...

Cheers.

In my bag...
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

items purchased through the links below help support the forum

Cal Custom

Our forum is made possible by the good folks whose ads appear below and by the members of our community (PayPal donation button at bottom)
In case you missed it each ad is linked to the sponsors web site.  So please, take a moment and visit our sponsors sites as this forum wouldn't be possible with out them.
Interested in running an ad for your business or kiting event?  Contact Steve at advertise.gwtwkites@gmail.com for a quote.

Kite Classifieds Ad
Kite Classifieds

A Wind Of Change
A Wind Of Change

Kitebookie
Kitebookie.com

Untitled Document

Untitled Document
Untitled Document

Untitled Document
Untitled Document

Untitled Document